We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Codek Spiral - official MOT watch?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
CitizenV

Re: Codek Spiral - official MOT watch?

Post by CitizenV »

Dub Rubb wrote:I was gonna say that I don't think he is trying to eek more money out of people, but after you and another posted mentioned that he rescinded his offer of $20 off, I am inclined to say that maybe he is. I know he is probably just going nuts trying to keep up with the firesale, and I can understand that. I got the same email about the burgundy strap and switched to black, even though I am NEVER dressed up enough to warrant a black strap. Not even on my wedding day lol!

Either way, I think he could have handled it better, but is just going through a tough time. I can't imagine putting that amount of time and effort into a project and then having to fire sale them. It's got to be heartbreaking, and I feel for him so I personally am gonna cut him some slack. He's probably just completely and utterly burnt out on this whole thing right now.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
I still only see 1 post about Codek rescinding the $20 refund offer. The other recent post was about Codek running out of the black strap option.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

dumberdrummer wrote:
horonewbie wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:54 pm Let me be clear, my intent wasn't to defame anyone. I just stated what happened to me (and what I felt afterwards) and from the looks of it, I apparently am not alone (based on another post on this forum). If anyone else encountered the same situation, I'm 100% sure they would have felt likewise. I've also mentioned self-doubt regarding what I felt in my post. But with me not being the only one who was subjected to this type of service, I feel somewhat vindicated (though not much better about the transaction as a whole).

My being a new member has nothing to do with anything if what I've stated is true (neither does someone being an old member, make everything they state the gospel).

Glitches or otherwise, if you can't fulfill the orders, just state so (this ain't the watch people were dying to get). From a rational POV, it seems like someone saw the demand for the product and decided "Hmmm, maybe I can make a bit more money than I anticipated initially. So let me go back and give the customers a - 'My way or the Highway' edict.
Klaatu3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 pm
:roll:

One of this site's hallmarks is a constructive and respectful discourse, and I find it distasteful for a member (a very new one, at that) to make borderline defamatory statements about Codek's founder based on a single email exchange. There's more than one possible explanation for his situation.

This is all a developing story, so some of us buyers will have to wait and see what happens. I got the same email from Chris yesterday offering a black Cordovan in place of burgundy, etc., and opted for the black. Shipping notification not yet received, but I'm inclined to give Chris the benefit of the doubt. There may be some glitches in the fire sale, but bringing a new watch to market would be a lot of work and there were obviously talented people involved. Maybe a simple case of burnout. By all accounts the Spiral is a remarkable microbrand watch, now at a bargain-basement price, and in a way I'm sorry to see it.

Cheers
I posted this over in the "Bargains" thread, but probably more appropriate here. (And for the record, I think what really is "distasteful" here is the way in this was handled by Codek)...

NAD. Regarding Codek...if this is how he ran his business while he was actually still "in business", I could see why he's in Fire Sale mode now. I canceled my order and requested an immediate refund, so somebody else will end up with just my blue watch head.

Codek Watches <chris@codekwatches.com>
Fri 9/20/2019 12:59 AM
Hello D,

Unfortunately I have too many competing orders and too few straps left. So I won't be able to fulfill all of the orders and many will get cancelled unfortunately. So if you'd like to keep your order, the stipulation is that you'd need to accept the watch with no strap with no partial refund of $20. If you are okay with this, then you'll be in the batch that receives the watch. If you aren't okay with this, then i'll have to cancel your order and refund since I simply can't fulfill the order. I hope you understand, let me know.

Best regards,
Chris

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Dumber Drummer <dumberdrummer@hotmail.com> wrote:
Chris,

The Black Shell Cordovan will be fine (unless, of course, a tan cordovan strap magically appeared[emoji6]). Appreciate you letting me know and for offering me the option.

Best, D.
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:33 AM
To: Codek Watches <chris@codekwatches.com>
Subject: Codek Watches - Burgundy Straps

Hello,

Regarding your Codek Watches order that you placed a few days ago - I got the last batch of watches back from the watchmaker today, and after sorting out all of the orders, I found out that I oversold a few units of the Burgundy Shell Cordovan strap. Unfortunately, you were among the last to purchase it. I have a very limited quantity of Black Shell Cordovan straps that exchange for the Burgundy. Or I can deliver the watch without a strap with a $20 refund. Or I can cancel your order if you aren't happy with either of those options. Please let me know and I apologize for the inconvenience.

--
Chris Jo | Founder at Codek | +1.925.577.4150
www.codekwatches.com

horonewbie wrote:Something interesting and I'll let you be the judge.

I receive an email within 24 hrs. after the order for the Blue version with Shell cordovan burgundy (Email with Order confirmation received within 24 hr.s after the order placed). Order AFAIK was placed as soon as this deal was posted within the HUISAB thread, so definitely not among the last orders.

After several days pass (ostensibly for the watch to be regulated and shipped on the 18th), I receive an email from Chris saying he's out of Burgundy straps and that the only options are: Black horween OR watch without strap + $20 refund. So I send an email requesting for the refund of $20 (shell cordovan in black sucks) requesting confirmation that at least the box will be sent with the watch.

Another 24 hrs. pass and I get another email saying the option provided earlier is no longer on the table. I get the watch (that's it) and no refund. Take it or leave it.

Got a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach that this guy was scummy as hell or maybe I'm overthinking it. TBH, if he'd just come clean and mentioned to all customers that the discounts were too good and everyone needs to pony up a little more (For e.g. $20) I would have gladly gone for it.

Now I just feel this guy can't be trusted with a barge pole for anything (as my BFF says, his word ain't worth crap). Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything. Half a mind to cancel the whole thing and request a full refund.
Both horonewbie and dumberdrummer posted the same. That was the point when I started to form my opinion. I still think buddy is just overwhelmed and feel for him. Not trying to incite a riot or anything, I just feel for both sides here.

soulspawn
MoT Member

Post by soulspawn »

I thought I might add a different perspective to the above customer service comments.

My situation is slightly different as I ordered the watch only (no strap), and i sent an email to Chris yesterday asking if I could cancel my order if he hasn't already processed the shipping.

I explained that I had to cancel because I needed the funds elsewhere and he promptly issued a refund to me.

Chris responded to me on the weekend and issued the refund very quickly. If I was a business having a fire sale to clear up my stock, the last thing I'd want is a cancellation (ie. More stock on hand). But Chris was very nice about the whole thing and very understanding.

I'd say that if Chris does launch another watch, i wouldn't hesistate to deal with him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

I ordered twice from Chris and both times he was really accommodating.

If i were going out of business, i'd probably be more curt than he is. I mean... We are actually taking advantage of the situation, are we not?
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

soulspawn wrote:
I'd say that if Chris does launch another watch, i wouldn't hesistate to deal with him again.
He's been really great, despite the predicament he's in.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

Klaatu3 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:05 pm So among those that ordered one earlier this past week (@ the amazing TIMEBUM discount) and got an order confirmation, who has gotten a shipping notification yet? I can see why they could be a little backed up with all the new orders...

Getting anxious yet? :?
Shipping notice received this morning, FWIW. Anxiety abated. ;)
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

My 2 cents. I ordered 2 Codecs a few months ago with MANONTIME code, it was a great deal, love both white and blue models. Shipping email was sent same day, and both watches arrived in a reasonable time. All and all it was great experience.

This time I ordered a blue watch without a strap on 09/11/2019. No email. Submitted request online, no answer. Wrote email to Chris, he replied on 09/19 with explanation about delays, very polite and apologetic.
Today I got cancellation email and an email about refund.

There are no hard feelings, the last watch was for intended for my daughter, who isn't really a watch person, but likes unusual designes.

I wish Chris all the best, hope to hear about his new projects, and will consider to buy his new watch.
Last edited by nicegator on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CitizenV

Post by CitizenV »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:40 pm Both horonewbie and dumberdrummer posted the same. That was the point when I started to form my opinion. I still think buddy is just overwhelmed and feel for him. Not trying to incite a riot or anything, I just feel for both sides here.

Oh. I definitely misread Codek's response to dumberdummer. :oops:
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

nicegator wrote:My 2 cents. I ordered 2 Codecs a few months ago with MANONTIME code, it was a great deal, love both white and blue models. Shipping email was sent same day, and both watches arrived in a reasonable time. All and all it was great experience.

This time I ordered a blue watch without a strap on 09/11/2019. No email. Submitted request online, no answer. Wrote email to Chris, he replied on 09/19 with explanation about delays, very polite and apologetic.
Today I got cancellation email and an email about refund.

There are no hard feelings, the last watch was for intended for my daughter, who isn't really a watch person, but likes unusual designes.

I wish Chris all the best, hope to hear about his new projects, and will consider to buy his new watch.

Bogus, he honored orders after 9/11, he cancelled my one and only:

“Unfortunately I had to cancel your order due to oversold inventory. I apologize for this.

Thank you for understanding.

--
Chris Jo | Founder at Codek
www.codekwatches.com

That is BS, he sold watches AFTER my order date , what happened to first come first serve? I am part of the Watchuseek and Manontime forums, that is not how you treat a base followers .

Aka: Watchout on WUS.
bobusa
MoT Member

Post by bobusa »

Anyone interested in exchanging white for my blues?
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

ImageImageImage
Pairs really well with bracelet too ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Halaku wrote:ImageImageImage

Wow, that looks really good! The semi-shrouded lugs help make that straight end link work really well.
ttl2
MoT Member

Post by ttl2 »

WhaleTail wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:33 am Anyone who ordered a Codek after 9/10 and received it? I haven’t received shipping notification either!

(Replying to the comment on the HUISABH! thread)
Shipping email on the 19th, after 9am UK-time. (No strap, but paid extra for the display box).
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:01 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

Looks like I won't be getting this. The white dial was oversold by 4 units and I'm one of the unlucky four. I may still be able to get a blue dial but I'm not certain. If I do, I'm hoping I can still get it with shell cordovan but it is sounding less likely that any strap options are available. I'm a little disappointed as I had my mind made up decisively in favor of white over blue but I'm hopeful I can still get a watch.
OK, it seems I should be getting a midnight blue on a black shell cordovan strap. This would not have been my first choice but I don't dislike the blue by any means and I'm sure I'll be able to find a strap to go with the watch. Also, it is only $130! And it is tough to turn down a Hadley Roma shell cordovan strap for $20 when you consider you can buy this watch head/case only for $110. I can foresee maybe keeping the black strap, wearing and enjoying this watch for a while and then moving it along. If anyone out there with a white dial would prefer the blue, send a message. I would probably be interested in a trade.

My Spiral shipped on 9/11 and was delivered on 9/13 but I'm away from home so I wasn't able to catch up with it for a while. I like it but I can't help but think I would have liked the white more. I just see myself wearing and enjoying that one more. I'm debating whether to buy a review/display white dial for $145 and sell this one. It's just the watch with no box, no strap, no warranty. But I'm sure if I think on it too much more I'll miss my chance. [emoji848]
I waited too long. I should have ordered one last night. Every last watch and strap on the site is sold out now. No more review/display units. Maybe the blue dial will grow on me if I find the right strap. Either way, I'm happy to have gotten it for such a incredible price.
bobusa
MoT Member

Post by bobusa »

Halaku wrote:ImageImageImage

Where did you buy that bracelet?? Would you please post a link?