We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by uvalaw2005 »

mplsabdullah wrote:
uvalaw2005 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:28 am RGM invoices and ebates cash back showed up for my purchases overnight. Thanks to all for the advice. Remember when checking out with PayPal to select your card with no foreign transaction fees and choose to pay with yen. After selecting your card, if it showing a price in USD and PayPal's exchange rate, click the link that says "View conversion options" and choose yen.

[img][/img]
Are we only able to choose yen when actually checking out or is there a way to set it so PayPal automatically uses local currency on every transaction with the card we select?
I'm pretty sure PayPal takes the opportunity to try and screw you on each transaction without the option of permanently opting out.
yellowbear
MoT Member

Post by yellowbear »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 am
yellowbear wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:17 am Well crap. I bought the green Oris Aquis from Rakuten Global that I posted in HUISABH and apparently the seller GOSH uses a freight forwarding service and Ebates won't give me the 20% cash back :cry: Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you ever have any luck getting your cash back for this purchase? It's a bit confusing because all the watch listings from GOSH say the shipping is with Japan Post EMS, not Sagawa Express.
Short answer, no. Long answer...

2/3: I receive an e-mail from the seller, GOSH, confirming that they will be shipping with Japan EMS and not Sagawa (even though Sagawa was listed on the product page). I e-mail eBates back to have them reconsider my case.
2/5: The rep transfers my e-mail to a supervisor (Allison) who asks me to confirm my shipping address.
2/6: The supervisor emails back saying, "Unfortunately, any shipping service outside of Rakuten Global Express is considered to be a freight forwarding service. Any of these orders are not eligible to earn Cash Back." I respond with, "The seller confirmed that they are shipping with EMS, which is the shipping method for Rakuten Global Express. It even says so on the website: https://globalexpress.rakuten.co.jp/hel ... ry?lang=en. I don't see any reason why I am not eligible for the cash back. Please reassess my case again."
2/7: I get the generic e-mail, "Thank you for your reply. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. "
2/15: I ask for an update and another rep (Krystal) responds with, "At this time we have yet to receive a resolution from Rakuten Global Market for this inquiry."
2/20: I ask what specific inquiry they are waiting on, and that an order verification should not take this long.
2/21: Krystal responds with, "With larger purchases like this one, we are required to submit an inquiry to the merchant, to find out why the Cash Back did not post automatically to your account. This inquiry can take up to 45 days to be resolved. We entered your inquiry with the merchant on 02/07/2019. This means we may not have an answer until 03/24/2019."
2/26: I get another generic e-mail, "Just checking in to let you know we are still awaiting word on the inquiry we submitted for your Rakuten Global Market order. We haven't forgotten about you and will let you know as soon as we have any information to share."

GOSH was aware of my situation with Ebates and agreed to delay shipping until my case was resolved. However they are only able to hold on to the watch for a month, so yesterday I asked them to cancel my order and they issued a full refund. Now that GOSH's listings show Japan Post EMS as the shipping method, hopefully others won't have trouble getting their cashbacks. I have to commend GOSH for patiently working with me and responding to all my e-mails. They also sent me a link (http://id-eal.net/?pid=130410748) in case I wanted to buy the Aquis directly from them for 127,800 JPY ($1,188 USD) shipped. I wanted to wait though because the Aquis would have been around $1000 USD if the cashback came through.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yellowbear wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:01 pm
yellowbear wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:17 am Well crap. I bought the green Oris Aquis from Rakuten Global that I posted in HUISABH and apparently the seller GOSH uses a freight forwarding service and Ebates won't give me the 20% cash back :cry: Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you ever have any luck getting your cash back for this purchase? It's a bit confusing because all the watch listings from GOSH say the shipping is with Japan Post EMS, not Sagawa Express.

2/3: I receive an e-mail from the seller, GOSH, confirming that they will be shipping with Japan EMS and not Sagawa (even though Sagawa was listed on the product page). I e-mail eBates back to have them reconsider my case.
2/5: The rep transfers my e-mail to a supervisor (Allison) who asks me to confirm my shipping address.
2/6: The supervisor emails back saying, "Unfortunately, any shipping service outside of Rakuten Global Express is considered to be a freight forwarding service. Any of these orders are not eligible to earn Cash Back." I respond with, "The seller confirmed that they are shipping with EMS, which is the shipping method for Rakuten Global Express. It even says so on the website: https://globalexpress.rakuten.co.jp/hel ... ry?lang=en. I don't see any reason why I am not eligible for the cash back. Please reassess my case again."
2/7: I get the generic e-mail, "Thank you for your reply. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. "
2/15: I ask for an update and another rep (Krystal) responds with, "At this time we have yet to receive a resolution from Rakuten Global Market for this inquiry."
2/20: I ask what specific inquiry they are waiting on, and that an order verification should not take this long.
2/21: Krystal responds with, "With larger purchases like this one, we are required to submit an inquiry to the merchant, to find out why the Cash Back did not post automatically to your account. This inquiry can take up to 45 days to be resolved. We entered your inquiry with the merchant on 02/07/2019. This means we may not have an answer until 03/24/2019."
2/26: I get another generic e-mail, "Just checking in to let you know we are still awaiting word on the inquiry we submitted for your Rakuten Global Market order. We haven't forgotten about you and will let you know as soon as we have any information to share."

GOSH was aware of my situation with Ebates and agreed to delay shipping until my case was resolved. However they are only able to hold on to the watch for a month, so yesterday I asked them to cancel my order and they issued a full refund. Now that GOSH's listings show Japan Post EMS as the shipping method, hopefully others won't have trouble getting their cashbacks. I have to commend GOSH for patiently working with me and responding to all my e-mails. They also sent me a link (http://id-eal.net/?pid=130410748) in case I wanted to buy the Aquis directly from them for 127,800 JPY ($1,188 USD) shipped. I wanted to wait though because the Aquis would have been around $1000 USD if the cashback came through.
Wow. Thank you for this. Under Shipping Options for that green Oris Aquis it currently says JP Post EMS. Are you saying that at the time of your purchase it said Sagawa? I wonder did they change this at least in part because of your case. I appreciate all the info as I'm seriously considering a purchase from them this time around. Also, I hope you end up with that Aquis. Seems like a great watch.
yellowbear
MoT Member

Post by yellowbear »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 pm
yellowbear wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Wow. Thank you for this. Under Shipping Options for that green Oris Aquis it currently says JP Post EMS. Are you saying that at the time of your purchase it said Sagawa? I wonder did they change this at least in part because of your case. I appreciate all the info as I'm seriously considering a purchase from them this time around. Also, I hope you end up with that Aquis. Seems like a great watch.
Yeah, at the time of my purchase Sagawa was listed as the shipping method. I'd order from GOSH again--they seem to have great customer service. It's just Ebates that's tough to work with. I actually tried on the Aquis during this time and realized it's a bit too big for my liking anyway, even though the green is absolutely stunning. I also recently got a great deal on an smpc (which should be arriving today!) so that makes for a terrific consolation prize.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

After reading the above I will likely not go through with my order from today. I just checked and the watch I ordered today says "home deliver" on my order status page. Not the "international delivery" shown in my previous orders. The shop I purchased from https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kyounokura/info/ advertises that they "Welcome Foreign Buyers" and that they use DHL. Guess I'll have to wait for the confirmation email from them to find out if it'll go through or not.

If they are using DHL does that mean a forwarding service? What should I look for in the confirmation email to be a red flag regarding possible cash back issues.? Not trying to play around with a fairly large cashback amount.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

mplsabdullah wrote:After reading the above I will likely not go through with my order from today. I just checked and the watch I ordered today says "home deliver" on my order status page. Not the "international delivery" shown in my previous orders. The shop I purchased from https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kyounokura/info/ advertises that they "Welcome Foreign Buyers" and that they use DHL. Guess I'll have to wait for the confirmation email from them to find out if it'll go through or not.

If they are using DHL does that mean a forwarding service? What should I look for in the confirmation email to be a red flag regarding possible cash back issues.? Not trying to play around with a fairly large cashback amount.
I always buy when it specifically says Japan EMS on the order page. Otherwise I don't want to risk it
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

mplsabdullah wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:35 pm If they are using DHL does that mean a forwarding service?
Not sure. I basically have this same question. I think of DHL as just another private post service like UPS or FedEX, but would worry that it's not classified like that for RGM/Ebates purposes. I really wish they would clarify. Like AisA mentions, I know that Japan Post (JP Post EMS) is safe but just not sure about everything else.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm
mplsabdullah wrote:After reading the above I will likely not go through with my order from today. I just checked and the watch I ordered today says "home deliver" on my order status page. Not the "international delivery" shown in my previous orders. The shop I purchased from https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kyounokura/info/ advertises that they "Welcome Foreign Buyers" and that they use DHL. Guess I'll have to wait for the confirmation email from them to find out if it'll go through or not.

I always buy when it specifically says Japan EMS on the order page. Otherwise I don't want to risk it
The seller I bought from has a banner at the top of all items saying "About shipping method According to the law, we can only use DHL to ship the expensive items, such as jewelry and watch. Thank you for your understanding."

Lower down though it says "Shipping Options: Details Japan Post EMS"

On my order status page next to Shipping Method it says: home delivery
However next to "Remarks" it says: Int'l shipping method detail: International delivery shipping fee 14000 JPY
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

There will also likely be duties with DHL. I’ve never gotten hit with EMS/USPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

ILiveOnWacker wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm not playing in the deep end as some around here however this one is a bit above the $800 limit. That said I have only had a couple watches that where over that limit and shipped via DHL and I've never been charged extra.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

mplsabdullah wrote:
ILiveOnWacker wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm not playing in the deep end as some around here however this one is a bit above the $800 limit. That said I have only had a couple watches that where over that limit and shipped via DHL and I've never been charged extra.
Never mind then!

Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

uvalaw2005 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 am
mplsabdullah wrote:
uvalaw2005 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:28 am RGM invoices and ebates cash back showed up for my purchases overnight. Thanks to all for the advice. Remember when checking out with PayPal to select your card with no foreign transaction fees and choose to pay with yen. After selecting your card, if it showing a price in USD and PayPal's exchange rate, click the link that says "View conversion options" and choose yen.

[img][/img]
Are we only able to choose yen when actually checking out or is there a way to set it so PayPal automatically uses local currency on every transaction with the card we select?
I'm pretty sure PayPal takes the opportunity to try and screw you on each transaction without the option of permanently opting out.
I noticed that the option to set your currency in PayPal has disappeared recently. It was there back at the beginning of January. PayPal e-mailed a notice of policy change on 2/25 and it's supposed to take effect 3/29/19 and it included this phrase:

"We are also making two other changes: (1) we are changing the time period for providing you with advance notice about important changes to the PayPal Account User Agreement to at least 21 days; and (2) we are clarifying how and when we convert currency."

There was a link in their e-mail to get more details, but there were no more details than the statement above. So... it has gotten a little more tricky now and I expect that after 3/29 that it may get even more tricky and/or impossible to avoid the PayPal currency conversion. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

Anyone else have their shopping trips show up but without the purchase check mark from this recent 26% cash back deal?

During the December deal my shopping trip immediately got a check mark and then the cash back showed up a day later. This time the shopping trip is there, but no check mark by them (two purchases). I've got my fingers crossed and took a leap of faith. So I already paid and my watch has already shipped. Both of my deals were good enough that they beat US market rates. But it's just a good deal without the 26%, while it's a smoking hot deal with the 26%. I prefer my deals like I prefer my women - smoking hot! :-D

I kept screen shots of everything, so I'm not too worried and I already filed a request for them to find my missing cash back. I know they say it can take weeks for it to show up, but I thought RGM was a lot quicker - which is the benefit of using PayPal sellers as you can verify the CB before finalizing the purchase. You can get such great deals through RGM and Ebates, but this kind of stuff really has me questioning doing it. It's just too much stress if you are depending on the Ebates CB!!!
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Kirk B wrote:Anyone else have their shopping trips show up but without the purchase check mark from this recent 26% cash back deal?

During the December deal my shopping trip immediately got a check mark and then the cash back showed up a day later. This time the shopping trip is there, but no check mark by them (two purchases). I've got my fingers crossed and took a leap of faith. So I already paid and my watch has already shipped. Both of my deals were good enough that they beat US market rates. But it's just a good deal without the 26%, while it's a smoking hot deal with the 26%. I prefer my deals like I prefer my women - smoking hot! :-D

I kept screen shots of everything, so I'm not too worried and I already filed a request for them to find my missing cash back. I know they say it can take weeks for it to show up, but I thought RGM was a lot quicker - which is the benefit of using PayPal sellers as you can verify the CB before finalizing the purchase. You can get such great deals through RGM and Ebates, but this kind of stuff really has me questioning doing it. It's just too much stress if you are depending on the Ebates CB!!!
My purchase of the Sinn from last night hasn't shown on Ebates yet. I didn't file a ticket for it yet either but if it isn't there tonight I will. When I bought it though it popped up saying congratulations you're getting 26% cash back or whatever
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
woodville63
MoT Member

Post by woodville63 »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:28 pm When I bought it though it popped up saying congratulations you're getting 26% cash back or whatever
Take a screenshot of the extension popup when buying for evidence with Ebates if there's a problem.

Put the product you want in favourites. Then start Chrome with the Ebates extension enabled, go to product page and take screenshot of extension popup. With emails from the seller and this I don't see Ebates not giving you the cashback.