We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

I agree....it just seems too risky to send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Honestly if it were me I'd get Rolex to repair it because then they do the full service and clean and you have the paperwork from Rolex to prove it, should you go to sell it later.

But otherwise I think it makes more sense to get the watchmaker here to repair it rather than send it across the world where God knows what will happen
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

Appreciate all the input, folks. I tend to agree that fixing it locally is the safer option. I'm not planning to sell this one anytime soon (if ever) so I'm inclined to have my guy do it. But the cheapskate in me wants to spend $100 to mail it back and try to convince these guys in Japan to fix it for free and send it back for free. Could save a bunch of money, could go horribly wrong. I'm also going to reach out to the Global Express people and see if the freight forwarding people could help with the shipping/translation. If they can't, I think I'll take the advice to stay domestic.

ig: @watchesindc

PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

rinsk21 wrote:Need some advice about an RGM purchase. I bought a pretty nice GMT Master in the last round of 24% cash back. It looks great and kept perfect time for a month. However, it just stopped and my local watchmaker tells me that it's a broken main spring. $1500 from Rolex, he'll do it for half that. I've been in touch with the folks in Japan and they stayed with "we only do business in Japan" which makes some sense because I used RGX to ship to the US. They're telling me that they will repair for free if it's "under warranty" which I'm interpreting as they will repair if it's not something I did but there is a language disconnect. They're also insisting that I'm responsible for shipping in both directions.

So I'm concerned about a few things:

1. I used a freight forwarding service so the logistics of shipping isn't easy.
2. Who knows what shipping plus insurance will be both ways.
3. I'm not convinced that they'll fix it for free. They don't seem to understand that the main spring is broken.
4. Duties in either or both directions. Will they slap import duties on it? That would sting.

Anyone have advice? Spending $750 is a tough pull to swallow on a new watch.

Thankfully, the cash back is registered so at least that's going through. Maybe contacting RGX or RGM is a smart idea.

Thanks for any opinions.

No advice for you, just wishing you the best of luck!

Let us know if you sent it back to the land of the rising sun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

Finally got an answer from RGX, not great. Leaning more and more towards local repair...

Dear Valued Customer,

This is Rakuten Global Express Customer support team.
Thank you for your mail.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

However, as the sales of products are managed by the stores individually,
regarding return and repair of products, please kindly communicate with the store directly.

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

Update on this, although I'm probably wasting everyone's time and space in the forum with these posts, apologies.

I have been back and forth with the shop in Japan and I'm going to send it to them this week. They said they typically make free repairs within a week but will help me out since this was an expensive piece and it was only a couple weeks. I'm responsible for shipping there (open to suggestions on what carrier to use, btw) and for paying RGX again on the way back. They're covering the shipping to the RGX address.

Hopefully this all works out. It was $80 to send it through RGX the last time, I'm thinking it'll be $100 or so to send it back, so under $200. Less than the $750 to fix it locally, so we're going to give it a shot.

ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

rinsk21 wrote:Update on this, although I'm probably wasting everyone's time and space in the forum with these posts, apologies.

I have been back and forth with the shop in Japan and I'm going to send it to them this week. They said they typically make free repairs within a week but will help me out since this was an expensive piece and it was only a couple weeks. I'm responsible for shipping there (open to suggestions on what carrier to use, btw) and for paying RGX again on the way back. They're covering the shipping to the RGX address.

Hopefully this all works out. It was $80 to send it through RGX the last time, I'm thinking it'll be $100 or so to send it back, so under $200. Less than the $750 to fix it locally, so we're going to give it a shot.

I can’t say that I speak for everyone, but I appreciate you sharing. Best of luck and keep us posted!

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Do we think there will be a 24% Cashback for this month end? Because I really want one...
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

I hope so!

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

ILiveOnWacker wrote:
rinsk21 wrote:Update on this, although I'm probably wasting everyone's time and space in the forum with these posts, apologies.

I can’t say that I speak for everyone, but I appreciate you sharing. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Welp, I dropped it at USPS and it's off to the land of the rising sun. The only hiccup was that the postal service will only allow $2500 in insurance if you don't have something called an AES ITN number. The guy at the post office had no clue what that meant, so hopefully it doesn't get lost on the way...

[emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696]

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Gorem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:10 am Ebates Rakuten Global 20% Cashback
As reported by [mention]Gorem[/mention] in the deals thread at the time above, Rakuten has 20% cash back at Rakuten Global Market.

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com

Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on order amounts purchased with points, the purchase or redemption of gift cards, orders placed on the Rakuten Global Marketing mobile app, orders placed through Rakuten Ichiba, orders shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding or proxy services are used (except for Rakuten Global Express).
Posting Time: Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.

2019-09-28.png
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

yinzburgher wrote:
Gorem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:10 am Ebates Rakuten Global 20% Cashback
As reported by [mention]Gorem[/mention] in the deals thread at the time above, Rakuten has 20% cash back at Rakuten Global Market.

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com

Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on order amounts purchased with points, the purchase or redemption of gift cards, orders placed on the Rakuten Global Marketing mobile app, orders placed through Rakuten Ichiba, orders shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding or proxy services are used (except for Rakuten Global Express).
Posting Time: Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.

2019-09-28.png
Thanks for posting! Made a purchase for a watch I’ve been searching for a good deal on all year. Used the google chrome extension and took tons of screenshots!

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

I'm assuming if I pay using PayPal Rakuten Cashback will still go through right? Asking because I always pay just by my credit card on Rakuten Global but a seller said my card wasn't showing up and asked me to use PayPal.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:I'm assuming if I pay using PayPal Rakuten Cashback will still go through right? Asking because I always pay just by my credit card on Rakuten Global but a seller said my card wasn't showing up and asked me to use PayPal.
Yes. I think PayPal is my preferred method of payment with Rakuten.

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:I'm assuming if I pay using PayPal Rakuten Cashback will still go through right? Asking because I always pay just by my credit card on Rakuten Global but a seller said my card wasn't showing up and asked me to use PayPal.
Yes, PayPal is always the best bet.