We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

PopePants2 wrote:I just had them flip-flop about why the cashback wasn't showing up. At first the response was "Unfortunately, Cash Back is not available when freight forwarding services are used. This information can be found on our Rakuten Global Market page under Cash Back Terms here:

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com"

When I pressed them on the fact it wasn't a "forwarding service", they responded -

"We are only able to add Cash Back to your account when stores let us know about your order. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. We realize this can be an inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That's exactly what they keep telling me!
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Fuzzysquid
MoT Member

Post by Fuzzysquid »

Utter ****. I also took a screenshot of the terms as of this morning, before they changed:

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... f6a9e1.jpg[/IMG]
Penfold36
MoT Member

Post by Penfold36 »

PopePants2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:16 pm I just had them flip-flop about why the cashback wasn't showing up. At first the response was "Unfortunately, Cash Back is not available when freight forwarding services are used. This information can be found on our Rakuten Global Market page under Cash Back Terms here:

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com"

When I pressed them on the fact it wasn't a "forwarding service", they responded -

"We are only able to add Cash Back to your account when stores let us know about your order. We will contact the store to verify your order. It usually takes about 10 business days for us to hear back, but it may take up to 45 days. We realize this can be an inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience."

The last part was the very first email I received when I filed for the missing cash back. I just assumed that was the standard response that everyone received initially. I'm surprised that you are now just getting that one. Hmmm...
woodville63
MoT Member

Post by woodville63 »

Before, the message, as I understood it, was you need to use a seller that ships direct to Australia (for me) without using the proxy address of a forwarder to get the cashback. This meant EMS direct from the seller.

Now they want us to use a forwarder, RGE, and get stuff sent to the proxy address provided by RGE to get the cashback, which means paying for EMS domestic shipping as well as RGE international shipping.

Is this right?

Two things.
1. I've never heard of RGE until reading about it on MoT.
2. You can't change the rules of the game when the game is underway!!!

I hope they see sense before losing a bunch of customers.
wahlaoeh
MoT Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by wahlaoeh »

They've always been rather unclear as to what constitutes shipping forwarders.

I've always had my awarded ebates credits go missing after some weeks, and only restored after I file a complaint

I would think now they are trying to wriggle their way out with the slew of big value purchases coming in after the 26% cashback

It's a shame. I've always regarded Japanese companies to be honorable and clear on their policies but somehow ebates or rakuten don't give me the same level of confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Post by uvalaw2005 »

I'll admit to never really understanding the strategy/economics behind offering such huge cashback sums without limits (either as to value or multiple use). Compare the eBay 15% coupons, which are capped at $100 and allow only one use per account.

But to the extent this was an extended effort at building goodwill for the Rakuten and/or RGM brand, I can't think of a more disastrous execution than offering 26% cashback to lure in customers and then refusing to give it to them.
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

wahlaoeh wrote:They've always been rather unclear as to what constitutes shipping forwarders.

I've always had my awarded ebates credits go missing after some weeks, and only restored after I file a complaint

I would think now they are trying to wriggle their way out with the slew of big value purchases coming in after the 26% cashback

It's a shame. I've always regarded Japanese companies to be honorable and clear on their policies but somehow ebates or rakuten don't give me the same level of confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Not to beat a dead horse, but two points -

1) If the item was shipped using the standard shipping, how in the world can that be constituted as a shipping forwarder.....

2) As mention, many of us have purchased items with the same cash back requirements and limitations, and had items delivered the same way and received cash back without a problem....

This is a scam.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

and for folks considering Rakuten Global Express in the future, I've used it, it works but i dont like it, they don't allow you to manualy enter custom value like BEX and shipping is more expensive than BEX. Customer service is also not great, once a small thing had its tracking going dark for a month, they took 45 days to refund me.

The real problem in using RGX or any forwarder is that paypal only guarantees that the correct item gets delivered to the warehouse/order address, afterwards there's a lot that could go wrong, or the item could be in non working condition and it would be so hard to return for a refund if you used a middleman

Reposting something that user uaconcorde posted the in the deals thread that might be helpful in the event RGM becomes worth buying from again. Also, I'm in the same boat as most of you with respect to Ebates/RGM (should be getting $400 back) but don't really have much to say about it that hasn't been said here. I've also requested the cash back that hasn't shown up and will update here when I have some answer about it. My best guess is that this was my last RGM purchase. I appreciate you guys posting your experiences here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Is anyone on the forum a lawyer or have a good lawyer?

Seems to me there could be some foundation for a potential class action case against Rakuten based on the experience everyone is seeming to have with their changing and/or reneging on the cashback terms.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
claus1100xx
MoT Member

Post by claus1100xx »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 am Is anyone on the forum a lawyer or have a good lawyer?

Seems to me there could be some foundation for a potential class action case against Rakuten based on the experience everyone is seeming to have with their changing and/or reneging on the cashback terms.
If we all get denied we should try to partner up and make something happen rather than each of us going after it one by one.
uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Post by uvalaw2005 »

It took some digging, but I did find a phone number as well for those who want to try it: 415-908-2200
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

uvalaw2005 wrote:It took some digging, but I did find a phone number as well for those who want to try it: 415-908-2200
I'll try and give them a call when I have some time, but what can we really expect more then the same "cookie cutter" responses......

After the latest round of BS, in the form of "Thank you for your email. With larger purchases like this one, we are required to submit an inquiry to the merchant, to find out why the Cash Back did not post automatically to your account. We are keeping a close eye on this inquiry and will be sure to let you know as soon as it is resolved. Again, your continued patience is greatly appreciated."

I had enough, so I responded -

"Just so we're all very clear here, I believe that you guys are playing games. I believe you're being dishonest, I believe you're shuffling around excuses, and I believe you're not dealing in good faith. I say that, because in the past I made purchases of the same size and I had the cash back before thae order even shipped... 

All these excuses, forward shippers, we need to check with the seller, all stink to the highest of heavens and are pretty transparent as excuses upon excuses. Just want to make that very clear that the fact that you guys have become very dishonest in cashback dealings, is being taken note of.

I'd love to be proven wrong."

Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

Right now I think that most of us have filed claims for missing cash back from the last 26% deal. We are anxiously waiting to see what happens and kind of anticipating the worst based on what has happened to some other members recently. What especially concerns me is their change of terms that happened this morning. Who knows, maybe we will all get our cash back! Let's just wait and see. If they deny cash back to all of us that took advantage of the last deal, then the numbers will certainly justify legal action. Are they playing games? Probably, right now it's a waiting game, but all we can really do at this point is wait and see what they say.

I do want to throw one thing out there - many people, myself included, had a lot of trouble during the last 26% cash back deal getting the shopping trip to stay active with the Ebates Chrome add-on. I made other purchases through Ebates during the same time frame and the problems were only with the RGM website. In December my RGM shopping trip immediately showed a check mark and cash back the next day. I don't think anyone has had this happen this time. It may legitimately be that they had system problems at the time of the 26% cash back. We KNOW for certain that they had some problems with the shopping trips staying active. The question is how deep did those problems go? Did the shopping trip purchases not get recorded properly. Is RGM and Ebates now having to manually check each purchase and are they flooded with requests right now? Time will tell...
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

If anyone can figure out which Rakuten Global Market watch vendors ship with Rakuten Global Express, cash back is currently at 12% through Rakuten/Ebates and there are multiple coupons available.

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.c ... tore=14034

Cash Back Terms
Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.

Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on the purchase or redemption of gift cards. Cash Back is not available on a purchase shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding services are used. Cash Back is not available on a purchase placed through the Rakuten mobile app.

Special Terms: Cash Back is only eligible on orders shipped by Rakuten Global Express.
Get $10 off orders +$150. + 12.0% Cash Back
Code: VUQJ-472S-QJWD-7LBM Exp. 03/31/2019

Get $140 off orders +$1,000. + 12.0% Cash Back
Code: RDTT-0W7Q-U3JL-VMQX Exp. 03/31/2019

Get $20 off orders +$200. + 12.0% Cash Back
Code: M7HY-YXG6-TGS5-GTE9 Exp. 03/31/2019

Get $65 off orders +$500. + 12.0% Cash Back
Code: KOIQ-O7SM-NHYD-UULQ Exp. 03/31/2019

Get $36 off orders +$300. + 12.0% Cash Back
Code: 6MYM-TK8E-BG02-XD2D Exp. 03/31/2019
If Rakuten ever gets their act together and begins to show some more integrity again, I'll be back. Until then, I'm gonna sit these out.
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

I tried to use the 26% cash back to buy my wife a camera. I just heard from the seller today that he’s canceling the order because my credit card denied the purchase. I called the credit card and they know nothing about the attempted purchase. Since they were going to use EMS this saves me the aggravation of filing a dispute. I’m out of the Ebates/Rakuten game.