We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
phoenix844884

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by phoenix844884 »

Kirk B wrote:
phoenix844884 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 am
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:06 am Usually you can't in my experience. So I just avoid those stores. But if people have a workaround I'd love to hear it. Usually Ebates will deny it when any other form of shipping is used
Then where does Rakuten Global Express come in? What if one shipped the item in this type of a listing to their RGX address (and consequently shipped onward), will eBates/Rakuten honor the cashback or not?
You are absolutely correct, this is where RGX applies. When searching RGM if you select Japan as your home country, then you'll get a LOT more options available to you as far as the variety of product. The store can ship directly to your RGX address in Japan and Rakuten will still honor the cash back. The only down side is some additional cost with using RGX. So it might not make a lot of sense with a $100 watch, but makes a lot of sense with a $4,000 watch!
That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

Update on my own personal watch soap opera for those that want to share in my anxiety:

I sent the watch with the broken main spring back to Japan after ignoring logic, reason and most people's opinions. The seller agreed to repair it for free and send it to RGX again at no cost. USPS to get it there and RGX back to me will total about $250, so rolling the dice to save $500. However, I think I mentioned in my last post that USPS would only insure up to $2500 without dealing with customs and a bunch of paperwork, so my biggest fear was a shipping problem. Especially when mailing to Japan, which had address formats that make no sense to me. I got word about a week ago that it made it there safe and sound. Phew. Today they emailed me and said that they are repairing it now and it should be mailed back to me by the end of the month. So, fingers still crossed but everything so far has gone pretty well.

ig: @watchesindc

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Here's a dumb question from someone who isn't well versed in all things Rakuten

What are Rakuten Super Points?
And why are those a good thing?

FYI, I don't feel like Googling the answer.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Random question, which sellers do you guys recommend for a good deal on Omega Speedmasters? I emailed closer asking if they'd take off 8% tax but they never responded...
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
feltharg
MoT Member

Post by feltharg »

Surprised no one responded. Its just free money. Some of them expire, some dont. The account details have even a graph for your points i think :)
TheJohnP wrote:Here's a dumb question from someone who isn't well versed in all things Rakuten

What are Rakuten Super Points?
And why are those a good thing?

FYI, I don't feel like Googling the answer.
feltharg
MoT Member

Post by feltharg »

O have good experimenty with Kaiul.
But i never got Lucky for tax removal :(
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Random question, which sellers do you guys recommend for a good deal on Omega Speedmasters? I emailed closer asking if they'd take off 8% tax but they never responded...
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Random question, which sellers do you guys recommend for a good deal on Omega Speedmasters? I emailed closer asking if they'd take off 8% tax but they never responded...
I bought mine through Gallery Rare. Good experience but they don’t take out the Japanese taxes.

I’ve also bought watches through Nanaple, which I don’t recommend, Closer (good experience, takes out taxes) and Rich Time (good experience, takes out taxes but charges a 1.5% commission on larger purchases. Doesn’t use PayPal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

ILiveOnWacker wrote:
I bought mine through Gallery Rare. Good experience but they don’t take out the Japanese taxes.

I’ve also bought watches through Nanaple, which I don’t recommend, Closer (good experience, takes out taxes) and Rich Time (good experience, takes out taxes but charges a 1.5% commission on larger purchases. Doesn’t use PayPal).

Yeah I like richtime but they're the only seller I get hit with duty charges from so I avoid them these days. But maybe I'll try again
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:39 am Random question, which sellers do you guys recommend for a good deal on Omega Speedmasters? I emailed closer asking if they'd take off 8% tax but they never responded...
I have not had luck with removing tax from any of my purchases...
For watches I have had extremely positive results from RGM vendors. Every time I had to fight to get my cash back from Rakuten though, but these are the vendors that I have dealt with:

Kaiul: Bought a used Rolex GMT Master II 16710 and it was absolutely perfect and keeping time within +4 sec/day.

Brand Peace Luxury: Bought a used Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch, sapphire sandwich, box, no papers. Absolutely beautiful.

Kadusaya: Bought a Bvlgari Octo Solotempo 41.5mm brand new with box, papers, stamped undated warranty card. Absolutely perfect.

Everything I have received has been exactly as described by the vendors including damage and wear to the boxes and photos accurately depicted any wear on the watches. I have an extreme amount of confidence in buying from RGM vendors. I have very little confidence though in the Rakuten cash back process.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

For those who have made purchases over $800, we're you hit with duties/import fees? (into the US)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

whoagorgeous wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:31 pm For those who have made purchases over $800, we're you hit with duties/import fees? (into the US)
I have made three purchases (see my post above yours for a list), all over $800, and I have not had an issue. I think it is purely luck of the draw though.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

whoagorgeous wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:31 pm For those who have made purchases over $800, we're you hit with duties/import fees? (into the US)

I know its not the same but in Canada I have been hit with duties twice. But we have much stricter rules on duty. Basically if its over $20 they are supposed to charge duty
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Thanks. I do want a Speedy but the gamble on the cashback / import fees may as well offset any savings. Of course, its all very YMMV.

ahh, decisions.

I might try it out on the next +20% cb on a ~$1k watch and test my luck there.
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

whoagorgeous wrote:For those who have made purchases over $800, we're you hit with duties/import fees? (into the US)

I’ve made 4 purchases above $800 and haven’t been hit with duties yet (in the US). All have shipped via Japan Post EMS / USPS. Crossing fingers it continues if I purchase something else!

PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

ILiveOnWacker wrote:
whoagorgeous wrote:For those who have made purchases over $800, we're you hit with duties/import fees? (into the US)

I’ve made 4 purchases above $800 and haven’t been hit with duties yet (in the US). All have shipped via Japan Post EMS / USPS. Crossing fingers it continues if I purchase something else!

Any of those from Richtime?

Only time I ever got hit with customs/import fees, was when I bought from them..... Two separate shipments with @$300 or so on each....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk