We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by yinzburgher »

There were some RGM questions in the deals thread that may not have been answered there and are probably better off here. Pretty much all of these things are already discussed in this thread but I realize it's become fairly long and tough to find specific answers at this point.

1) Japan Post EMS (which is used by Seiko 3S) is not a proxy service, correct?
Correct. After some confusion recently, Rakuten has acknowledged that Japan Post EMS is/will not be considered a forwarding service.

2) Paypal no longer has the option to "set your currency" and avoid their conversion fees (I believe this ended at the end of March per the Rakuten thread) even when using a CC with no international fee?
I remember some talk about this but I'm not certain of the answer. Anyone?

3) Once I've paid do I manually log into paypal to pay the seller? Will they send a link for payment?
During checkout you provide your credit card information or you select that you would like to use PayPal. You will get a confirmation order from RGM after you complete checkout. In addition, you often get a second email shortly thereafter from the RGM vendor also containing order confirmation and possibly shipping fees. You then typically get another email (the shipping fee could be stated in this one) within 1-2 days from the RGM vendor with a link to pay via PayPal. This link takes you to RGM and from there to PayPal to complete the transaction. If you opted to pay with credit card, you often get an email that asks you to reply in writing that you do indeed want to complete the order and you agree to have your card charged (they already have your cc info). The emails are almost entirely in Japanese, so you'll likely find it is best to use Chrome and right-click in the text of the email and hit "translate".

Seiko 3s now says they don't ship to the US
This has happened periodically. In fact it said that on their listings a few days ago. Then that notice went away the next day, so I posted a deal for latest gen Monsters and Sumos for $380ish. Then a couple days later the notice popped up again. In the past when this had happened, someone reported that they just changed the "SHIP TO:" at the top right of their screen from U.S. to Japan and ordered anyway. It worked just fine, so a number of other buyers did the same. It also worked. Who knows if it will continue to work but so far it has very consistently.

They say you can use a freight forwarder but I think that kills the Ebates/Rakuten cash back.
True. Unless you use Rakuten Global Express. That is the only forwarding service that qualifies for cash back.
https://globalexpress.rakuten.co.jp/?lang=en

There is another seller (Udedokeihompo) but they don't accept Paypal.
No they don't. I haven't seen many reviews or reports of purchases from Udedokeihompo but the few I have seen have all been positive.

PS - the Ebates extension seems to work on Chrome (where it didn't appear to do anything on Firefox)
I've not used Firefox but that's good to know.

****Also, this has been said before but it bears repeating. A big part of buying through RGM and getting cash back from Rakuten is trial and error. There is a lot of uncertainty. Nobody will be able to answer all of your questions in the deals thread. It's different with every vendor. You have to do some translating. They are shipping expensive items from the other side of the world. Rakuten makes mistakes. They don't give you your cash back right away. And sometimes they change the rules in the middle of the game. If you are ok with some risk and some anxiety, give it a shot. You could get a killer deal that would be nearly impossible to get elsewhere. If you are risk averse, RGM is probably not the place to shop for you. No shame in that. Plenty of other places for watches and deals without all the risk.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

During the recent %20 I paid using my credit card on Rakuten Global (didn't use PayPal) and I never received any email after the first generic order confirmation email from Rakuten. Nothing from the seller confirming the order. I was just charged and my order was shipped to my RGX address. I never even received an email saying it was shipped. Was notified by RGX that a package was ready for me. I received the watch and I'm very happy however this experience was a little strange.

And still no cashback from the transaction.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

2) Paypal no longer has the option to "set your currency" and avoid their conversion fees (I believe this ended at the end of March per the Rakuten thread) even when using a CC with no international fee?

I purchased two items through PayPal on this last 22% CB deal. I was able to pay in JPY each time. It's a little tricky, so you have to pay attention during checkout. After you select your payment method there will be some blue hyperlinked text that says "View conversion options" near the total charge amount. When you click on the link you are given two options: to have PayPal do the conversion or your credit card to do the conversion.

There is still some funny stuff that goes on sometimes. For example, I have used my no fee credit card a few times, even on big purchases of several thousand USD, without an issue. But I've purchased from one seller twice now ($150 each time) and each time PayPal claimed that my CC company denied the purchase. I just don't buy that. For some reason my no fee CC (Visa) just will not work with that one vendor. But each time my AmEx card has worked fine. The AmEx card I have charges a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, but it's still significantly less than what PayPal charges.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Kirk B wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm 2) Paypal no longer has the option to "set your currency" and avoid their conversion fees (I believe this ended at the end of March per the Rakuten thread) even when using a CC with no international fee?

I purchased two items through PayPal on this last 22% CB deal. I was able to pay in JPY each time. It's a little tricky, so you have to pay attention during checkout. After you select your payment method there will be some blue hyperlinked text that says "View conversion options" near the total charge amount. When you click on the link you are given two options: to have PayPal do the conversion or your credit card to do the conversion.

There is still some funny stuff that goes on sometimes. For example, I have used my no fee credit card a few times, even on big purchases of several thousand USD, without an issue. But I've purchased from one seller twice now ($150 each time) and each time PayPal claimed that my CC company denied the purchase. I just don't buy that. For some reason my no fee CC (Visa) just will not work with that one vendor. But each time my AmEx card has worked fine. The AmEx card I have charges a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, but it's still significantly less than what PayPal charges.
Here is the way around PayPal fees for conversion now, since the disable conversion option was eliminated: viewtopic.php?p=18999#p18999
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 am Rakuten Global Market has a coupon for "$50 off orders of $500". Below is the coupon code but it is not necessary. You can just click the radio button during checkout to apply the coupon. In actuality it is a coupon for ¥ 5,000 JPY off of ¥ 50,000 which converts to roughly $45.51 USD off of $455ish. For the moment RGM cash back remains at 15% through Rakuten.

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com
Get $50 off coupon on orders +$500. + 15.0% Cash Back
Code: RJ6X-NUUX-ITPU-NTBH Exp. 05/15/2019
Cash Back Terms: Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.
Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on the purchase or redemption of gift cards. Cash Back is not available on a purchase shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding or proxy services are used, except for Rakuten Global Express. Cash Back is not available on a purchase placed through the Rakuten mobile app or Rakuten Ichiba.
Just a reminder that the 15% cash back ends tonight at midnight Pacific time. The coupon above should be good through 5/15. Also, Big Fat Checks seem to be making their way out. Got mine today.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

More RGM coupons good through the next 8 days. Only $18 better than the previous coupon but probably enough to convince me to buy something tonight. Also save 50% on RGX shipping.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/event/cou ... coupon0514

https://globalexpress.rakuten.co.jp/cam ... d-20190514
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Finally received my cash back for my recent order. Very happy as it made a good deal into a great deal.

Also received my recent Ebates payout and it did include my Rakuten Global cashback from the round a couple months ago. I know some mentioned that it has disappeared before payout in the past.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

mplsabdullah wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am Finally received my cash back for my recent order. Very happy as it made a good deal into a great deal.

Also received my recent Ebates payout and it did include my Rakuten Global cashback from the round a couple months ago. I know some mentioned that it has disappeared before payout in the past.
Yes, I personally have had cash back disappear before, quite a large sum of cash. I know others have had this happen as well. The bad thing is that Rakuten says nothing about it, no e-mail, no notification. They just take the cash away. In my case I e-mailed them and they said that they could not verify the RGM purchase. I sent them my purchase confirmation e-mails as well as screen shots and they put the cash back within 24 hours. I would keep screen shots of your cash back balance information when a large sum comes in, just so you can track it.

Yesterday I also got my Big Fat Check for my purchases back in February. Today I got every last cent of cash back that I was due for four purchases made through RGM and shipped through RGX at the end of April. Interesting thing is that this time I totally did not harass them or e-mail them about my missing cash back. It just suddenly popped into my account today with an e-mail notification. This was nice this time. Maybe I don't need to worry so much!

Now I need to go shopping and start saving for the next big cash back deal that I anticipate at the end of June. As long as Rakuten keeps following through I will keep taking the risk.
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

Can we keep a running tally of which shop on Rakuten Global Market is willing to remove the 8% Japanese tax?

I find it really frustrating that we have to place order without knowing if they will remove the 8% or not, I understand sometimes it takes some negotiations too. I think we end up buying from the handful of retailers anyways

On this note, you should always ask if they can remove the tax, if nothing else if reminds them that we the oversea buyers have a demand for that. I visit Japan frequently and my best guess is that every store is able to but the potential business is just not worth the trouble for most of them. Yet when we buy thousands of dollars worth of watches it's a big deal for the buyer. There also often an indescribable sense of joy that they get from taking advantage of foreigner but I wont go into that.

I will start, please contribute by copy and paste:
Will not remove tax or charges 8% "handling" fee:
CLOSER
Seiko Specialty Store
KAITORI KOMACHI (Maybe wants to but doesn't know how to, badger him enough he will have incentive to figure out)
Phaze-one

Removed tax upon request/insistence, or partial removal (4%, admin fee etc):
WATCH-SHOP (after strong insistence removed 8%)

Automatically removed tax:
YAMAKI SANOYA
O-kura
ILiveOnWacker
MoT Member

Post by ILiveOnWacker »

uaconcorde wrote:Can we keep a running tally of which shop on Rakuten Global Market is willing to remove the 8% Japanese tax?

I find it really frustrating that we have to place order without knowing if they will remove the 8% or not, I understand sometimes it takes some negotiations too. I think we end up buying from the handful of retailers anyways

On this note, you should always ask if they can remove the tax, if nothing else if reminds them that we the oversea buyers have a demand for that. I visit Japan frequently and my best guess is that every store is able to but the potential business is just not worth the trouble for most of them. Yet when we buy thousands of dollars worth of watches it's a big deal for the buyer. There also often an indescribable sense of joy that they get from taking advantage of foreigner but I wont go into that.

CLOSER
Seiko Specialty Store
KAITORI KOMACHI (Maybe wants to but doesn't know how to, badger him enough he will have incentive to figure out)
Phaze-one

YAMAKI SANOYA
O-kura
Closer took out 8% taxes on my SMP order back at the end of December. I proactively asked if they would earlier in December and they said yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

ILiveOnWacker wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am
uaconcorde wrote:Can we keep a running tally of which shop on Rakuten Global Market is willing to remove the 8% Japanese tax?

CLOSER
Seiko Specialty Store
Phaze-one

YAMAKI SANOYA
O-kura
Closer took out 8% taxes on my SMP order back at the end of December. I proactively asked if they would earlier in December and they said yes.

I asked them they said no..........WTH
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

e-Bloom takes off the tax. They asked to be reminded when placing the order. I did so in the order notes box. Closely check their subsequent email invoice for correct amount. Their English is good and they promptly reply to emails.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

ILiveOnWacker wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 am

CLOSER
Seiko Specialty Store
Phaze-one

YAMAKI SANOYA
O-kura

See thats the kind of things would have been useful if I knew before hand, so i think this would be a valuable information.
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

Adding PetWatch's inout

Seiko Specialty Store
Phaze-one

Removed tax upon insistence, or partial removal (4%, admin fee etc):
CLOSER?? (1 yes 1 no)

Will remove tax:
YAMAKI SANOYA
O-kura
e-Bloom
Grailroad
MoT Member

Post by Grailroad »

"KAIUL Rakuten Ichiba online shop" would not remove tax in late 2018.

My request: "Is it possible to deduct the 8% consumption tax from the total amount? I am outside of Japan."
Their response: "I am sorry, in our shop, Duty-free does not conduct. Please be understanding."