We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Rakuten Global & Ebates

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Rakuten Global & Ebates

Post by yinzburgher »

claus1100xx wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 am
yinzburgher wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 am As reported by @MrMajestyk in the deals thread at 7:47 am on 7/31/19, cash back from Rakuten for RGM purchases has gone straight from 4% to 24%. Quick tips.......Follow all terms and conditions to a T, buy from trusted sellers, and screenshot everything!

https://www.rakuten.com/globalrakuten.com
Cash Back Terms
Cash Back will be automatically added to your Rakuten account within a few weeks.
Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on order amounts purchased with points, the purchase or redemption of gift cards, orders placed on the Rakuten Global Marketing mobile app, orders placed through Rakuten Ichiba, orders shipped to Japan or when freight forwarding or proxy services are used (except for Rakuten Global Express).
Screenshot (11).png
Exclusions: Cash Back is not available on order amounts purchased with points -> Does that mean if I apply super points to my purchase I'm ineligible for the rebate?
Really good question. I think a reasonable person would intuit that the portion paid for using points would ineligible for cash back but that the rest of the purchase would still be cb eligible. And I've always used my available balance of points and still gotten cash back. But we already know that Rakuten looks for ways to deny points, so who knows? When I get a chance I might go back and look at previous T and C to see if that language is new.

Edit: It looks like they added that language sometime between 4/26/19 and 5/28/19.
Last edited by yinzburgher on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claus1100xx
MoT Member

Post by claus1100xx »

To me the language around points looks new.
rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

So thinking about doing the Rakuten Global Express option for the first time after successful EMS shipments in the past. When I go through the RGE website, the Rakuten plug-in can activate 10% off, RGM is 24%. Is there a way to check out via RGM using the Global Express option via that site? This whole thing makes me nervous...
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

rinsk21 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:01 pm So thinking about doing the Rakuten Global Express option for the first time after successful EMS shipments in the past. When I go through the RGE website, the Rakuten plug-in can activate 10% off, RGM is 24%. Is there a way to check out via RGM using the Global Express option via that site? This whole thing makes me nervous...
That 10% will just be cb when you pay for shipping, which will be a separate purchase and happen way after you've already made your 24% cb RGM purchase. Basically you make your RGM purchase without paying for any shipping. You just need to make sure you select your assigned RGX address rather than your actual home address. Then wait for the vendor to send it to RGX. RGX packs it all up and keeps you informed of when it is ready to ship. Then when you give RGX the OK to ship to you, you make a separate shipping fee payment to RGX. The 10% cb is only for that last step.
Last edited by yinzburgher on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

Are we all confident that a straight up order, without using their forwarding service (RGX) will still get the 24% CB?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm
rinsk21 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:01 pm So thinking about doing the Rakuten Global Express option for the first time after successful EMS shipments in the past. When I go through the RGE website, the Rakuten plug-in can activate 10% off, RGM is 24%. Is there a way to check out via RGM using the Global Express option via that site? This whole thing makes me nervous...
That 10% will just be cb when you pay for shipping, which will be a separate purchase and happen way after you've already made your 24% cb RGM purchase. Basically you make your RGM purchase without paying for any shipping. You just need to make sure you select your assigned RGX address rather than your actual home address. Then wait for the vendor to send it to RGX. RGX packs it all up and keeps you informed of when it is ready to ship. Then you give the OK to ship, you pay for RGX to ship. The 10% cb is only for that last step.
Awesome- thanks. I'll go with it. This a large purchase, so want to be 100% sure it works...or at least as close as RGM let's you get to 100% ;)
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

PopePants2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm Are we all confident that a straight up order, without using their forwarding service (RGX) will still get the 24% CB?

Nope lol. They say it is though. I've saved and screenshot the emails that say Japan Post EMS is now confirmed as eligible for cash back but this is a company that is known for changing the rules in the middle of the game. So I can't say for certain. Also, getting into the the little details, once in a while a vendor will use a private company like Yamato Transport (maybe the equivalent of a FedEx or UPS) to ship your package from their shop to JP Post. Rakuten may try to use that little detail to deny cash back even though you would possibly have no knowledge or control over it.
rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 pm
PopePants2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm Are we all confident that a straight up order, without using their forwarding service (RGX) will still get the 24% CB?

Nope lol. They say it is though. I've saved and screenshot the emails that say Japan Post EMS is now confirmed as eligible for cash back but this is a company that is known for changing the rules in the middle of the game. So I can't say for certain. Also, getting into the the little details, once in a while a vendor will use a private company like Yamato Transport (maybe the equivalent of a FedEx or UPS) to ship your package from their shop to JP Post. Rakuten may try to use that little detail to deny cash back even though you would possibly have no knowledge or control over it.
It really is crazy that a company that large (they're the jersey sponsor for an NBA team for goodness sake) tries to screw people using loopholes like that. My experiences have been good in the 4 or 5 purchases I've made but not without careful attention and dispute resolution. It's the wild west east.
PopePants2
MoT Member

Post by PopePants2 »

yinzburgher wrote:

Thanks!

(I've purchased with the cash backs in the past, sometimes it went smooth, sometimes not so smooth... I stopped getting in on the cash back deals entirely when they started with the whole only using RGX stupidity... I just wanted to confirm that those days seem to be over, as the terms seem to imply. Thanks!)

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

The amount of stuff I have added to my cart is absolutely ridiculous. I think my RGM cart is about to tip over. :lol: I'm doing the same thing I do everytime I guess. Go all over RGM and add absolutely everything that appeals to me at all and then look at it all in my cart so I can narrow down.
What is reasonable, what is the best value, what can't I get elsewhere for a similar price, what have I wanted for a long time, what do I just plain like the most, what are the best deals, what would I be stupid to pass up. That inexact calculation we all do in our heads. Only this time a have more than 4 dozens watches in there and in addition to the stuff I normally buy, they include things like Autavias, Railmasters, Marine Masters, Tudors. I've only ever spent more than $1K on a watch once. And now I'm looking at all this stuff! You know how in the movies, the bank robber that says he's getting out of the game always wants make the last heist a BIG one?......lol....It's really getting out of hand.
rinsk21
MoT Member

Post by rinsk21 »

yinzburgher wrote:The amount of stuff I have added to my cart is absolutely ridiculous. I think my RGM cart is about to tip over. [emoji38] I'm doing the same thing I do everytime I guess. Go all over RGM and add absolutely everything that appeals to me at all and then look at it all in my cart so I can narrow down.
What is reasonable, what is the best value, what can't I get elsewhere for a similar price, what have I wanted for a long time, what do I just plain like the most, what are the best deals, what would I be stupid to pass up. That inexact calculation we all do in our heads. Only this time a have more than 4 dozens watches in there and in addition to the stuff I normally buy, they include things like Autavias, Railmasters, Marine Masters, Tudors. I've only ever spent more than $1K on a watch once. And now I'm looking at all this stuff! You know how in the movies, the bank robber that says he's getting out of the game always wants make the last heist a BIG one?......lol....It's really getting out of hand.
That is exactly what I did this morning. Maybe I am just skeptical but I used to count on the 20% discount happening every month or two and now that it hasn't really happened in a while, my fear is that this is the last bite at the apple. So I decided to go big under the assumption that if we never see this discount again I will be angry that I didn't pull the trigger. Thank goodness at some point I realize that my only credit card without a foreign transaction fee has a reasonably low limit because I was been able to filter out the reeealllly stupid stuff. Always good to curb the "Just because a patek is $40k doesn't mean it isn't a great deal if it is normally $60k!" logic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Guys I'm good with most of the terminology on Rakuten, but what does "lapping" mean?

I thought it meant either "shipping" or "gift wrapping".... Like a listing gives me the choice of "no free lapping", "free lapping (no statement of delivery)", or "free lapping (with statement of delivery)"
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:42 pm Guys I'm good with most of the terminology on Rakuten, but what does "lapping" mean?

I thought it meant either "shipping" or "gift wrapping".... Like a listing gives me the choice of "no free lapping", "free lapping (no statement of delivery)", or "free lapping (with statement of delivery)"
I was pretty sure it meant wrapping. When I said yes, Seiko3s gave me some gift bag and they didn't when I said no. Just occurred to me, I think statement of delivery probably means receipt. Like "do you want the person get the gift (which can be wrapped or not) to know the cost of the item." In this case I think the person getting the gift is gonna be well aware of the cost. :lol:
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

yinzburgher wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:42 pm Guys I'm good with most of the terminology on Rakuten, but what does "lapping" mean?

I was pretty sure it meant wrapping. When I said yes, Seiko3s gave me some gift bag and they didn't when I said no. Just occurred to me, I think statement of delivery probably means receipt. Like "do you want the person get the gift (which can be wrapped or not) to know the cost of the item." In this case I think the person getting the gift is gonna be well aware of the cost. [emoji38]
Lmao well I guess I'm getting a wrapped watch with no receipt [emoji23]

There's a TON of good used Seiko deals. I want to post what I ordered but I'd rather wait until the order is confirmed because it still shows in-stock even though I paid and everything.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I just got off the phone with Rakuten. They're up to their shady tricks again (as though it ever stopped). My last RGM cash back amount had magically gone from $74 down to $19. No email, no heads up......just making digital cash disappear. Luckily I screenshot everything so I could see what happened. The CS dude was real nice and helpful but claimed he couldn't see why it was changed, just that it had been changed. He reinstated the correct amount right away. But this isn't really making me want to place an order. It also makes me appreciate how easy it is to get your RetailMeNot cash back.