We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Massgenie

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Massgenie

Post by BostonCharlie »

Massgenie (MG), a business with bad ratings with the BBB (h/t Monsieur FRENCH!), has an AreaTrend (AT) storefront. Many folks report good experiences with AT itself, although peskydonut linked to a LOL-bad testimonial here. Milkham noted a good experience with MG here.

The discussion started in the deals thread here:
Miblake206 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pm I can't vouch for the website, but a quick search says that some people have used it with success.

If it isn't a scam, a Seiko automatic for $20 is a deal indeed.

https://www.massgenie.com/seiko-men-spo ... e123dda910
Since then, it sounds like a few members of the community have stepped up to test whether a watch will actually be delivered. This thread is dedicated to them.
cheddar
MoT Member

Re: Massgenie

Post by cheddar »

Thanks for starting this thread, BC. I ordered one of the Mido Commander big date silvers and will update with what happens. (For future reference, from the deals thread today, AreaTrend on Massgenie).

FWIW, it seems like there were very few of each watch, and maybe only one. IF this is legit, the most plausible explanation must be something like somehow they got ahold of some store models or a few returns that show some obvious wear and have no provenance (papers, etc.), so they’re just clearing them out.

Obviously, more likely is that a) they don’t exist and won’t arrive, or b) they aren’t authentic. More concerned with b) than a), but feel confident enough in my inspection abilities and Visa’s protections to take the gamble and see what winds up happening here.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Awesome! Thanks [mention]BostonCharlie[/mention] for rerouting the conversation here.

I ordered a couple of Seiko SRPC53Ks. Will post an update when I have some news.
Living a comeback montage.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

If a watch listing says something like "3 sold", you can click on that text to see when they sold and for how much. For example, this Seiko 5 has been selling for $78 since 8/29. OTOH, this $64 Promaster shows sales for $165, but none of them are recent (and this reviewer said it was DOA -- battery?).
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Here is a code for $5 off: MGSCA5OFF. It didn't work for one watch, but did for another -- maybe there's a minimum (update: $25 min.).

Copying some wisdom from the RGM crowd: take screenshots of the listing and anything that might be helpful later on if there is a dispute.
Miblake206
MoT Member

Post by Miblake206 »

As noted in the other thread, I ordered a Seiko land shark, and I’ve got something incoming. I live in Seattle, do ground FedEx takes a while; it lists as arriving on Sept 17.

I also ordered a $19.99 swatch, just for the hell of it. No news yet about shipping.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I've been in communication with AreaTrend regarding my Massgenie order. They contacted me saying that only 1 of the 2 watches I ordered was available for shipping. I replied to them at cs@areatrend.com and have gotten responses. Unless there is a really elaborate scam going on, in my mind this confirms that it is indeed the real AreaTrend store selling through Massgenie.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

On the other hand, at the opposite end of the scale . . .

. . . there's the below-pictured Seiko Lord quartz offered for a pittance at $708.

I bought a similar (blue dial) model at Joma several years ago for just over $100.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.04.01 PM.png

There are several other Seikos priced in the twenties that I would spring for (not that I need them, but at that price . . .), but who knows what's what here.

As I said on the other thread, I have had good experiences with Area Trend, but with Massgenie in the middle, I'll wait and see what the more intrepid amongst us find out.
Last edited by The Sultan of SoWhat on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

peskydonut wrote:I've been in communication with AreaTrend regarding my Massgenie order. They contacted me saying that only 1 of the 2 watches I ordered was available for shipping. I replied to them at cs@areatrend.com and have gotten responses. Unless there is a really elaborate scam going on, in my mind this confirms that it is indeed the real AreaTrend store selling through Massgenie.
That's a good sign. I ordered a couple Seiko's not expecting them to honor the price. I'm expecting some type of excuse to cancel orders, to hopefully not have to waste time with a dispute in which case I'll quickly file a credit card claim.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

PetWatch wrote:That's a good sign. I ordered a couple Seiko's not expecting them to honor the price. I'm expecting some type of excuse to cancel orders, to hopefully not have to waste time with a dispute in which case I'll quickly file a credit card claim.

I placed two orders with two watches each. One order is still being processed. The other order got a tracking number, but apparently they can only fulfill 1 of the 2 watches. Both charges are still pending on the CC.

My expectations are pretty low. We'll see.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Another thing to note is that some of the watches, like the below Bulova, are listed as "non-returnable and non-refundable". Not sure of the specific conditions (the link takes me nowhere), but something to watch out for.

https://www.massgenie.com/bulova-men-ch ... 4eac2a63a3
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

It might be worth noting that MassGenie has a 4.1 customer rating from 625 reviews on Trustpilot. A big problem with that number is that customers are asked to rate the retailer immediately after they have just ordered a product for a steeply discounted price (dopamine cranked up to 11 if you're a deal junkie like myself). And the rating and review is also given before MassGenie has actually taken any steps toward fulfilling the order. So essentially the reviewer is being given a little buzz and then being asked to assess only the deal and the checkout process. I'm a skeptic so far but would love to see these deals come to fruition. Please update this thread with results of your order. Thanks.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.massgenie.com
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

peskydonut wrote:Another thing to note is that some of the watches, like the below Bulova, are listed as "non-returnable and non-refundable". Not sure of the specific conditions (the link takes me nowhere), but something to watch out for.

https://www.massgenie.com/bulova-men-ch ... 4eac2a63a3
Good to know. I guess for the price we can't complain if it's a display model with a few blemishes, but I would still expect new and what that implies.

Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

I ordered one of the SKZ211Ks and have received an order confirmation from Massgenie but no communication from Area Trend. Since it's the weekend that isn't particularly surprising. We shall see what Mondy brings.
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

NO WAY I order from Massgenie absent a report from an established MoT user!