We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Post by Robotaz »

I don’t see credit offers as bargains. I see them as bait. I don’t buy additional warranties and I don’t buy to get money off a future purchase.

@robotazky
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:11 am I don’t see credit offers as bargains. I see them as bait. I don’t buy additional warranties and I don’t buy to get money off a future purchase.

@robotazky
Completely agree.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This is a possibility in case anyone is looking to use some store credit.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/hig ... -pre-owned

Last edited by yinzburgher on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 pm This is a possibility in case anyone is looking to use some store credit.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/hig ... -pre-owned

[img]https://cdn-s3.touchofmodern.com/produc ... 1533942831[/img]
LOL...that has to be the ugliest way to spend $15K!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I just deleted the app from my phone. Done with them and their lame promo schemes that entice people who don’t shop there and screw the people who do.

@robotazky
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Since I live abroad it is not easy to take advantage of many of the US deals. But, some of the members here suggested to use the MyUS service with ToM. So I bought a watch on ToM for $29.99 and had it shipped to a MyUS account. It arrived, but ToM gave it an inflated invoice value of $120.52 (not sure how they got this number). Luckily I noticed this when the package first arrived, or it would be too late and I would have to pay 4x the VAT.

I immediately sent my receipt to MyUS and asked that they change the invoice amount. Since it is a one-shipment trial account, MyUS does not give the option to place the shipment on hold while they review the invoice amount change. So what has been happening is every hour it automatically moves into the shipping queue and I have to jump in and cancel it to avoid it going out.

Finally I used the online chat and got someone to see the issue, but they need to escalate it to someone else to make a decision about changing the invoice amount (1-2 business days). They said they would make the item on hold until the decision is made.

SO, a bit of a PITA because of the amount ToM indicated on the invoice. It was not what I paid, nor was it the retail price or the normal price. For others who may be tempted to try the MyUS service with ToM, I can offer this advice from the experience:

1) When you sign up for MyUS, do not go with the one-package trial. Better to opt for one of the other options, and you can always cancel. This will enable the full control of your shipments that the one-package option lacks.
2) If you do #1, log into MyUS and change your Shipping Schedule from "Automatic" to "Hold". This will ensure you have a chance to review any incoming item and make adjustments before it is re-mailed.
3) As soon as you complete the order on ToM (or anywhere else), upload the receipt to MyUS under Tools --> My Incoming Packages. This lets you declare the value and override whatever invoice value the retailer has put on the item. You have to do so before the item is received by MyUS for it to work.

Update: Well, it did not take 1-2 business days for MyUS to change the value. They lowered it to $29.99, meaning once it hits German customs I will have to pay $5.70 in VAT instead of $23. So I paid $30 + $10 shipping by ToM + $14 shipping by MyUS + VAT = $60. Basically double the cost of the watch in the US market, but better than the $77 I would have had to pay. The difference in VAT basically covers the cost of the re-ship.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

A happy turn of events.

Recently as many of you will recall, ToM was offering 15% off of gift card purchases.
In addition, Amex had an offer for a $25 statement credit with a minimum purchase of $125 at Tom.
So decided to pick up a $500 gift card, which made it a net cost of $400.

Then there was the 5% Ebates cash back.
However, as Yinzburgher pointed out, Ebates cashback wouldn't apply to a gift card purchase due to their exclusions:
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm https://www.rakuten.com/touchofmodern.c ... tore=13327

Unfortunately no Touch of Modern cash back through Rakuten. Not sure about any of the other cash back sites. And they wonder why people get confused. It literally says cash back and no cash back on the same page. I'm glad I'm a Rakuten user overall but they can be a mess.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 2f4b12.jpg[/IMG]
But went ahead and activated Ebates and rolled the dice when I bought the gift card.
It actually worked out.
I got the 5% cashback for my gift card purchase!

[img][/img]

My "Big Fat Check" deposited into my PayPal account today, so they didn't rescind the cash back.

Ultimately, I ended up getting that $500 gift card for a total of $375! Very pleased with that deal.

Now to be patient and hope for a targeted 15% or 20% discount. Fingers crossed....
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42 pm A happy turn of events.

Recently as many of you will recall, ToM was offering 15% off of gift card purchases.
In addition, Amex had an offer for a $25 statement credit with a minimum purchase of $125 at Tom.
So decided to pick up a $500 gift card, which made it a net cost of $400.

Then there was the 5% Ebates cash back.
However, as Yinzburgher pointed out, Ebates cashback wouldn't apply to a gift card purchase due to their exclusions:
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm https://www.rakuten.com/touchofmodern.c ... tore=13327

Unfortunately no Touch of Modern cash back through Rakuten. Not sure about any of the other cash back sites. And they wonder why people get confused. It literally says cash back and no cash back on the same page. I'm glad I'm a Rakuten user overall but they can be a mess.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 2f4b12.jpg[/IMG]
But went ahead and activated Ebates and rolled the dice when I bought the gift card.
It actually worked out.
I got the 5% cashback for my gift card purchase!

[img][/img]

My "Big Fat Check" deposited into my PayPal account today, so they didn't rescind the cash back.

Ultimately, I ended up getting that $500 gift card for a total of $375! Very pleased with that deal.

Now to be patient and hope for a targeted 15% or 20% discount. Fingers crossed....
That's good news. I remember thinking that the machines and software probably have no idea what you're purchasing and can't differentiate between a gift card and any other item. But if actual human eyeballs looked at your purchase they would probably revoke your cash back. Anyway, this is good to know for next time they run that promotion.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

FTE wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 am Since I live abroad it is not easy to take advantage of many of the US deals. But, some of the members here suggested to use the MyUS service with ToM. So I bought a watch on ToM for $29.99 and had it shipped to a MyUS account. It arrived, but ToM gave it an inflated invoice value of $120.52 (not sure how they got this number). Luckily I noticed this when the package first arrived, or it would be too late and I would have to pay 4x the VAT.

I immediately sent my receipt to MyUS and asked that they change the invoice amount. Since it is a one-shipment trial account, MyUS does not give the option to place the shipment on hold while they review the invoice amount change. So what has been happening is every hour it automatically moves into the shipping queue and I have to jump in and cancel it to avoid it going out.

Finally I used the online chat and got someone to see the issue, but they need to escalate it to someone else to make a decision about changing the invoice amount (1-2 business days). They said they would make the item on hold until the decision is made.

SO, a bit of a PITA because of the amount ToM indicated on the invoice. It was not what I paid, nor was it the retail price or the normal price. For others who may be tempted to try the MyUS service with ToM, I can offer this advice from the experience:

1) When you sign up for MyUS, do not go with the one-package trial. Better to opt for one of the other options, and you can always cancel. This will enable the full control of your shipments that the one-package option lacks.
2) If you do #1, log into MyUS and change your Shipping Schedule from "Automatic" to "Hold". This will ensure you have a chance to review any incoming item and make adjustments before it is re-mailed.
3) As soon as you complete the order on ToM (or anywhere else), upload the receipt to MyUS under Tools --> My Incoming Packages. This lets you declare the value and override whatever invoice value the retailer has put on the item. You have to do so before the item is received by MyUS for it to work.

Update: Well, it did not take 1-2 business days for MyUS to change the value. They lowered it to $29.99, meaning once it hits German customs I will have to pay $5.70 in VAT instead of $23. So I paid $30 + $10 shipping by ToM + $14 shipping by MyUS + VAT = $60. Basically double the cost of the watch in the US market, but better than the $77 I would have had to pay. The difference in VAT basically covers the cost of the re-ship.
Thanks for sharing experience and advice. I have been tempted to try the MyUS service a few times. It looks so complicated to make it right that I think I was lucky that I didn't make the move. There were so many times that the shipping costs ruined the bargains. Maybe that's a good thing, at least to my wallet. Sigh.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I did notice a “display model” Lacroix Pontos S diver on bracelet for ~$800 last night. Best deal on any watch I think I’ve seen on ToM.

*cuts a little slack*

@robotazky
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Not specifically about ToM, but indirectly.

Been following the site for about a year or so.
I see Spinnaker show up regularly, as well as James McCabe. Fairly certain I've seen Thomas Earnshaw, Avi-8, and Ballast on there too. So how is it that Dufa doesn't seem to appear? They're another Dartmouth brand, so seems logical they'd get put up on sale at some point.

I like the looks of the Bayer auto, but not looking to pay current online prices.

[img][/img]

More thinking out loud than anything...
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm Not specifically about ToM, but indirectly.

Been following the site for about a year or so.
I see Spinnaker show up regularly, as well as James McCabe. Fairly certain I've seen Thomas Earnshaw, Avi-8, and Ballast on there too. So how is it that Dufa doesn't seem to appear? They're another Dartmouth brand, so seems logical they'd get put up on sale at some point.

I like the looks of the Bayer auto, but not looking to pay current online prices.

[img][/img]

More thinking out loud than anything...
Seeing the DuFa’s here at TK Maxx for €160-200. PM if you want me to pick one up for you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

Whelp... I had a bad experience with Touch of Modern over the last couple of weeks. I got a targeted coupon for 20% off. I decided on a new Omega Aqua Terra Golf (last generation) for $2,600. It was a great deal. I got a confirmation e-mail, but then they inactivated my ToM account and the credit card charge disappeared. I had e-mailed them twice but with no response, so I finally called them. They said they cancelled the order because they suspected fraud. I suspect that they just weren't going to make enough money. I did give them grief about doing absolutely nothing (phone or e-mail) to contact me about the "suspected fraud". I am letting it go though as I was probably buying the deal more than the watch! :-)

I've had a few bad dealings with ToM now. Nothing huge, little stuff, but they're kind of a scuzzy source for watches in my book. Based on this I am very doubtful that I would ever buy one of their used watches. They never give good pictures or any description of condition - way too much risk.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm Dufa
An unfortunate name.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 8JkFZMEncQ[/img]
And don't even get me started on "Manjaz."
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I think I'm pretty much done with Touch of Modern.

Had a targeted 15% off recently, plus the $500 gift card that I netted paying $375 for.
Nothing really caught my eye then I saw this Maurice Lacroix Pontos power reserve

[img][/img]

Which they had listed for $750.
Not a bad price.

When I went to pay, it gave me the 15% off $750 so $637.50
Less the $500 in store credit from the gift card and I would only be out $137.50 plus $10 for shipping.
Then when I processed the order, they screwed me.

Instead of taking the 15% off the full $750, they took the $500 off first and then the 15% from the remainder, so I only got a $37.50 discount.
On top of that, I got hit with tax too.

So where I thought I'd only have to spend an extra $147.50, I was charged $287
Talk about bait and switch pricing. Ugh.

I immediately submitted a cancellation request. Then I hear nothing for the full business day. So I text them. No response all day Friday.
Finally get a response on Saturday, where someone said they would "escalate" things.
Then I get a status update this afternoon that "item is being prepared by supplier," so I go ahead and call the number they ask you to text and surprisingly got a human. They said my case was still being looking into (3 business days later) and should know more by EOD today or tomorrow.

Even if and when I can get this order cancelled, I'll still stuck having to spend the $500 in credit with them.
But that will likely be the last I do spend at ToM after how they processed that payment and their lack of customer support.
Click Icon To Contact Me