We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Re: Touch of Modern - thoughts?

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I joined 'em last summer and have gotten one 20% off since then.

There is a lot of ridiculous stuff on there, so browsing often provides comedy value, but there's some decent quality to be found as well if you know what you're looking at. The prices don't tend to be spectacular though, and with things usually non-returnable and often under shady third-party warranty, I'm rarely tempted.

And worst of all, their lingerie models have no nipples!
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Well, I didn't use my 15% off and now I have 20% off and I'm seriously tempted by a few watches on there. One thing I find very confusing is all the listings that say "Sale - For 24 hours only" and then next to that, it says that the listing ends in 4-5 days. I'll drop a screenshot below. Has anyone figured this out? Does the price go up after 24 hours but stay listed at a higher price for another few days? Also, what might you be buying if you had 20% off? Thanks.

[img][/img]
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 pm Well, I didn't use my 15% off and now I have 20% off and I'm seriously tempted by a few watches on there. One thing I find very confusing is all the listings that say "Sale - For 24 hours only" and then next to that, it says that the listing ends in 4-5 days. I'll drop a screenshot below. Has anyone figured this out? Does the price go up after 24 hours but stay listed at a higher price for another few days? Also, what might you be buying if you had 20% off? Thanks.

[img][/img]

I haven't tracked that too closely, but I believe you surmised correctly.
For 24 hours, the sale pricing will be lower and then go up a little for the remainder of the days.

I'll have to look, but if money was no object I'd totally shoot for the Bernhard Lederer Gagarin Tourbillon

[img][/img]

Currently $65,000
Normally $300,000
If they actually take off the 20%, that would make it $52,000
PLUS 5% Ebates/Rakuten cashback
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:Well, I didn't use my 15% off and now I have 20% off and I'm seriously tempted by a few watches on there. One thing I find very confusing is all the listings that say "Sale - For 24 hours only" and then next to that, it says that the listing ends in 4-5 days. I'll drop a screenshot below. Has anyone figured this out? Does the price go up after 24 hours but stay listed at a higher price for another few days? Also, what might you be buying if you had 20% off? Thanks.

[img][/img]
I would be going for the NIB speedy for $2355 after coupon and 5% cash back. But that's just because I want a speedy. Definitely look around though. How much time is left on your coupon? I feel like I am one of the resident ToM deal posters, and will keep an eye out. I will also let you know if I find something spectacular before I post it to the general public (not trying to be a dick to the rest of you, but c'mon, you all know you bought a watch from one of this guys deals!)

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... b2a33f.jpg[/IMG]
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

On second thought, what kind of watch are you looking for, and in what price range? I noticed you had that B&M in your pic. That would be a steal at 20% and might be what I went for.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 pm On second thought, what kind of watch are you looking for, and in what price range? I noticed you had that B&M in your pic. That would be a steal at 20% and might be what I went for.

I have my eye on the blacked out TAG Heuer Formula 1 for sure. Also some of the Paul Picot Firshires. I'm just not too sure about the size and case shape on those. Plus I have a couple dress watches that I barely wear as is. But damn, I just like to look at those Paul Picots. Maybe a 38mm Junghans. I'm always checking out Oris but not sure about the two-tone of the pointer date. Definitely mechanical and most likely under $1000 after discount and cash back. Coupon expires 7am on 2/25.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/ill ... -pre-owned

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/24- ... 771-unworn

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/jun ... 27-3502-00

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/ori ... 79-4331-mb
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 pm On second thought, what kind of watch are you looking for, and in what price range? I noticed you had that B&M in your pic. That would be a steal at 20% and might be what I went for.

I have my eye on the blacked out TAG Heuer Formula 1 for sure. Also some of the Paul Picot Firshires. I'm just not too sure about the size and case shape on those. Plus I have a couple dress watches that I barely wear as is. But damn, I just like to look at those Paul Picots. Maybe a 38mm Junghans. I'm always checking out Oris but not sure about the two-tone of the pointer date. Definitely mechanical and most likely under $1000 after discount and cash back. Coupon expires 7am on 2/25.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/ill ... -pre-owned

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/24- ... 771-unworn

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/jun ... 27-3502-00

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/ori ... 79-4331-mb
You're right, that TAG for under $700 is a great price. I am very hesitant of buying preowned from ToM as they have literally no description of condition, just look at the pics and judge for yourself. I personally would wait for something NIB. But damn if that isnt tempting.

Kirk B
MoT Member

Post by Kirk B »

I have purchased from ToM a few times. I do think they are a bit shady though and would be hesitant, especially with their return policy, to buy anything too expensive. I did recently get a 20% off deal though and gave in to temptation and bought a new Mido chronograph. I also combined that with Ebates and an Ebates credit card for another 8% cash back. It was a pretty sweet deal. What arrived though was not a new watch, but close. It looked like a store display watch with some minor scratches and no stickers. I sent photos to ToM and filed a complaint with their customer service. I did not have luck with the customer service two years ago on a small purchase. To my surprise they offered me a full refund on return or 110% of my purchase price as store credit with return. This was on a non-returnable watch. I asked about keeping it (the scratches were pretty minor) and they offered me an additional 15% back on the purchase. I took that option and now have a Mido chronograph at an absolutely ridiculously low price! They did follow up and immediately credited back my credit card for the 15%.

Still, you win some and you lose some. I think with ToM it's a real gamble and whether you are willing to take that gamble depends on your personal aversion to risk and how good the deal is.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Oddly enough, I've only bought two watches from ToM and later had issues with both. But that wouldn't stop me from buying from them again.

First one is a Spinnaker Hull and the bezel came loose one day while setting the time. I just sent that into their aftermarket support location (run by Invicta), paid the $30 for repairs and all seems fine now.

The other watch is my Mido Mulitifort. Once I received it, knew something was wrong because it kept stopping roughly around the same time every night. The watch was listed as being under manufacture's warranty. Reached out to Swatch about service and they said ToM wasn't technically covered but they did offer a "make good" service. I suspect Swatch dumped their discontinued stock and used the make good to support the warranty without fully authorizing or acknowledging ToM sales. Either way, they found something in the movement, fixed it, and it runs like a champ.

Follow up, I just got a 15% off today. May use it, may not. Not seeing anything right now catching my eye or budget. But do have a week before it expires.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 pm One thing I find very confusing is all the listings that say "Sale - For 24 hours only" and then next to that, it says that the listing ends in 4-5 days. Has anyone figured this out? Does the price go up after 24 hours but stay listed at a higher price for another few days?
I can now confirm that the price does go up after 24 hours.

I posted about an Eterna Tanaroa when it was listed, priced at $425.
viewtopic.php?p=10493#p10493

But now the price is $440
[img][/img]

A $15 price increase.
Which we know can be a huge difference as to whether or not we buy something.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

For those more familiar with Touch of Modern.....does store credit earned through a purchase (like today's promotion of $25 store credit for every $100 spent) ever expire? I can't find anything about it on their site. Also, have ever seen them run one of these promotions while you had a targeted discount?

Last edited by yinzburgher on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I haven't taken advantage of a credit back with purchase, so can't speak to that.

However, when I recently got a 15% targeted discount, this was one of the stipulations - "Credit not available when other promotions are running."
So not something you can stack. In fact, my discount was set to end this morning but when I was debating about pulling the trigger the $25 back promotion was running so nothing I added to a basked showed the 15% off.

Their customer service is responsive on text if you ask a question about credit expiration.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote:For those more familiar with Touch of Modern.....does store credit earned through a purchase (like today's promotion of $25 store credit for every $100 spent) ever expire? I can't find anything about it on their site. Also, have ever seen them run one of these promotions while you had a targeted discount?

Follow up. This is the message I got back from TOM CS. It's a little disappointing that the store credit only lasts 30 days.

Last edited by yinzburgher on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm Follow up. This is the message I got back from TOM CS. It's a little disappointing that the store credit only lasts 30 days.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... da8e81.jpg[/IMG]

Now I'm more glad I didn't take advantage of a deal.
A roughly 60 day window to receive and spend credits is not a lot of time.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:03 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm Follow up. This is the message I got back from TOM CS. It's a little disappointing that the store credit only lasts 30 days.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... da8e81.jpg[/IMG]

Now I'm more glad I didn't take advantage of a deal.
A roughly 60 day window to receive and spend credits is not a lot of time.
Same. As if my flipping habit isn't bad enough. Also, there is just no telling what is going to be listed on the site in any given 30 days and whether it is going to be priced to my liking.