We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Citizen quartz arrived not working

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
manchette

Citizen quartz arrived not working

Post by manchette »

Hello,
I received this Citizen quartz today. Actually the watch it is not working so far, i'm wondering if the cold weather can impede the watch to work (?)
Maybe the battery is already dead, i'll try to change it as soon as possible, i could not open the back at 1st try to see which battery model it needs.
Also the manual included is for an eco drive, so that's strange :roll:
I'm wondering what happened with this watch : don't they look at the items before they send them ?
Citizen quartz : https://www.creationwatches.com/product ... -7229.html

Have you ever had this kind of problem before, maybe with this seller ?

Thank you ;)
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Re: Citizen quartz arrived not working

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Cold can certainly affect batteries, though that might not be relevant here. The watch you linked is an Eco-Drive model, which is solar, which means you shouldn't ever need to change the battery--or at least not for another 20-40 years, and it should be done by Citizen or one of their authorized service places. Since they're not user-replaceable, if you did open it, there's a good chance Creation won't take it back.

First, push the crown in. I know my Citizen arrived with the crown out, which halts the movement. Then, leave your watch in a bright window sill for a day or so. If it's still not running, contact Creative.

Addendum: OK, I wasn't able to find reference to this model on Citizen's sites (both US and JP), but every page I found elsewhere for it claimed it was solar. Digging around for photos to verify Creation's claim that it's a 1002 movement did finally confirm it, and digging further finally found a manual for it in English:

http://lastmanuals.com/manual/CITIZEN/C ... 0NO%201002

Therein it claims it takes a silver-oxide battery without specifying which type. Hmm. This claims to be for 1002 though, among other movements:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10pk-Exell-E ... /929845212

So. Yeah, it could be a dead battery, assuming it's not solar. Or if it's really chilled, especially if it's already fairly drained, that could be it too. But either way, it'd probably be best to contact Creation to say it's dead and the 1002 manual conflicts with their website about whether it's solar or not, since I don't know how finicky they are about taking back watches which've been opened.
manchette

Post by manchette »

Hello,
Thanks for your help.
I've never seen an eco drive (=solar watch from Citizen) that does not say it on the dial before, is this possible ?
I think their site is giving a wrong information when it says it is eco drive, and maybe this is why they send the wrong manual.
The back of the watch shows : 1002-S066824 japan movement 9 GN-0-S ; so it looks like a 1002 movement indeed.
From the manual of 1002 movement you gave it is not speaking of light of anything that makes me think it is a solar movement.
(on the manual i received it speaks of how much light is needed to charge the watch, but nowhere it says the model nor the movement...)

If it is a solar then i understand i'll need to leave it under light untill it gest ok, but so far i'm not sure.
But this seems very strange for me to be able to send a watch that is not working.

Also when i told them (creationwatches) the watch is not as expected for it is not working, and the manual is wrong they answered that they hope i'm happy with my watch, and ask for a comment on their site ( :? )
Locrian
Has thanked: 0

Post by Locrian »

Creation sent me a Seiko quartz with the case back improperly screwed on, so it pulled hair. They either get seconds or just have such a high volume that they don't check them.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

manchette wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am I've never seen an eco drive (=solar watch from Citizen) that does not say it on the dial before, is this possible ?
Anything's possible except skiing through revolving doors. It'd be a bit odd for them to be coy about it though. I initially replied before looking up too much info since I was concerned about a solar watch being opened and the problems which could result, but I was also soon puzzled why the dial had no mention of Eco-Drive tech.
I think their site is giving a wrong information when it says it is eco drive, and maybe this is why they send the wrong manual.
What's even weirder is the number of other sites also claiming it to be solar!
If it is a solar then i understand i'll need to leave it under light untill it gest ok, but so far i'm not sure.
But this seems very strange for me to be able to send a watch that is not working.
I'm leaning heavily toward it not being solar, though I'll abstain from stating with certainty since I don't want to be responsible for leading you astray. It's entirely possible the watch was made long enough ago for the battery to have died, given that Creation a grey market dealer.
Also when i told them (creationwatches) the watch is not as expected for it is not working, and the manual is wrong they answered that they hope i'm happy with my watch, and ask for a comment on their site ( :? )
I shouldn't be laughing. What, aren't you happy with your non-functional purchase? :) I've never ordered from them, no idea how typical this is for them. Maybe someone who has can chime in on the best way to deal with them.
manchette

Post by manchette »

Hello,

I hope that a new battery can solve this, but this will show how old the watch sold are. So far the small chinese 'knife' i have to pop up the back is not helping to open the back, i'd like to open it to see which model of battery it's using. I'll retry asap.
I've bought from them already for prices are often really low, usually watches are ok. But two were ko, this is the 2d one.
If there's a problem i think you can't expect a lot from them (their answer above is striking), i'm not expecting more than a coupon on a future purchase, if i'm lucky.
But will you buy again from such a seller ?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I've bought from them and had a really good experience.

Based on that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
manchette

Post by manchette »

Well, this is when problems occur that you'll see how they react. Did they react greatly when you had a problem with them ?
They mailed to ask more details and pictures of what i received, i could not add to what i had said already so i rephrased it with pictures so to answer to their questions, but so far no answer.