We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Let's talk about Chronext, baby

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Let's talk about Chronext, baby

Post by TheJohnP »

Let's talk about you and me
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be

Apologies for the Salt-N-Pepa pun.

But since I asked the question about Chronext, there seems to be enough discussion to warrant a separate topic.

I brought them up when I stumbled on their current Special Deals sale - https://www.chronext.com/fall-special-deals

Asked if anyone familiar, as there had been no mention of the site on the forum previously.

A couple of others were curious as well, and here is what a couple of members have reported:

Per [mention]uaconcorde[/mention]
uaconcorde wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:33 am
I dont have personal experience but I heard rfom a local fellow collector that his experience was good. He bought a FOIS and they had stock in Europe. From what I understood they shipped the watch to a local site and then shipped to him so that he doesnt get hit with duty. The watch came with alligator strap which was not allowed to cross his border so chronext kept the alligator in a european city for him to pick up whenever he travel through there in the future. End result: Got the watch, no duty, strap left in Europe will pick up when the opprtunity comes. Good experience and good service
uaconcorde wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:37 am
a note about the price, for perspectives, the speedy pro on strap was $2800 and change at Jomashop when on sale, happened at least twice in the last 5 years, i think maybe prices gone up now, but i think you can still find lots of new examples at Rakuten Global Market, authorized dealer and all, or find a good AD and haggle, $3600 is a still a very good price but does not sound like a once in a lifetime amazing, if you have doubts go find an AD in person. I know my local AD will never discount a cent but i have seen well stocked AD's that gives automatic at least 30% discounts on all omegas during certain holidays in my travels, so really for this price i wont take more risks than you are comfortable with

Direct purchase experience from [mention]gazza74[/mention]
gazza74 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:26 am
I purchased both my Speedy Pro and my Oyster Perpetual 39 white dial from Chronext. Excellent service, and the prices in each case + import duties were still much lower than what I could get from an AD in the States, even with discount. The service is top notch - customer service emailed me every few days to keep me informed about the watch. They usually secure watches from ADs, check them out, and then ship them to the purchaser.

If anyone has questions I’m happy to answer them based on my 2 purchases.
gazza74 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01 am
konax wrote:
Where do they ship from? Switzerland?

Both times mine shipped from Germany, but the watches were sourced from ADs in other countries (Austria this last time).
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
VCheng
MoT Member

Re: Let's talk about Chronext, baby

Post by VCheng »

Personally, there are basically two factors to decide whenever such situation happens. First is whether the cost savings amounts to more than 20% of the next higher price option. The second is whether I can accept total lost. If it passes these two, I will likely go ahead.
pesman
MoT Member

Post by pesman »

Personal experience. Bought a Bremont Alt1-C in cream from them. £2295 which was a pretty good price. Arrived in 4 days with all docs and leather wallet. Great service and comm's so recommend. Only issue I've heard is that it can take a while if watch is located in another country.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

VCheng wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:24 pm Personally, there are basically two factors to decide whenever such situation happens. First is whether the cost savings amounts to more than 20% of the next higher price option. The second is whether I can accept total lost. If it passes these two, I will likely go ahead.
why 20%? it typically comes from an AD, not a gray market....for me any discount will do as long as its an AD

also they can take paypal, so total loss is not a thing...
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

uaconcorde wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:15 pm
VCheng wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:24 pm Personally, there are basically two factors to decide whenever such situation happens. First is whether the cost savings amounts to more than 20% of the next higher price option. The second is whether I can accept total lost. If it passes these two, I will likely go ahead.
why 20%? it typically comes from an AD, not a gray market....for me any discount will do as long as its an AD

Honestly, 20% has no scientific support, it's just a general personal judgement, and is subjective. Of course, it also depends on the price. As 20% of a big and a small sum is different. I usually buy watches range from $300-1k after discount, so for example, 20% is $200 in the case of higher price of $1k. I take $200 as a significant saving. For the case of $300, 20% is $60 which is not significant but at the mean time, i can accept any minor things get wrong for such budget.

I think it's also related to the price range I usually stick to, for watches in this range, they are usually easily to be serviced or repaired. And I am sure the service fee will be much higher from the AD. The follow up from AD is not important to me personally. They won't have in-house movements generally in this range.

Maybe I am also lucky too, I never really need to repair a watch after owning about 50 watches, and many of them came from grey market.

Yes, I agree PayPal should avoid total loss though.

Of course, buying an more expensive watch say $3k will be a different story. I will also try to go AD way to be safe.

What do you think? Do I explain my logic well enough?
uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

VCheng wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Honestly, 20% has no scientific support, it's just a general personal judgement, and is subjective. Of course, it also depends on the price. As 20% of a big and a small sum is different. I usually buy watches range from $300-1k after discount, so for example, 20% is $200 in the case of higher price of $1k. I take $200 as a significant saving. For the case of $300, 20% is $60 which is not significant but at the mean time, i can accept any minor things get wrong for such budget.

I think it's also related to the price range I usually stick to, for watches in this range, they are usually easily to be serviced or repaired. And I am sure the service fee will be much higher from the AD. The follow up from AD is not important to me personally. They won't have in-house movements generally in this range.

Maybe I am also lucky too, I never really need to repair a watch after owning about 50 watches, and many of them came from grey market.

Of course, buying an more expensive watch say $3k will be a different story. I will also try to go AD way to be safe.

i dont think i made myself clear, chronext is AD in most cases, they acquire from an AD with the card stamped, so any saving will do, a dollar is a dollar.

I repeat in my limited experience Chronext is NOT gray market, just like chitownwatches, some DavidSW and some of Montredo.

Any other AD middle man you guys reccomend? Hard to find one with good prices these days
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

uaconcorde wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:24 am
VCheng wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

i dont think i made myself clear, chronext is AD in most cases, they acquire from an AD with the card stamped, so any saving will do, a dollar is a dollar.

I repeat in my limited experience Chronext is NOT gray market, just like chitownwatches, some DavidSW and some of Montredo.

Any other AD middle man you guys reccomend? Hard to find one with good prices these days
I see what you mean now.