We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Lord & Taylor New? Not New? What should I do?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
riggle

Lord & Taylor New? Not New? What should I do?

Post by riggle »

Hi all,

Both my wife and I bought watches from Lord and taylor's most recent sale. Of course the watches are supposed to be new.
My wife's watch came in a Lord and Taylor jewelry bag tucked inside a Lord and Taylor box (no original materials at all), which was simply sent in a bubble mailer. There are no manuals or other documents or warranty info etc. Also no protective stickers on the glass or case back, and nothing protecting the bracelet. And the automatic watch is running.

My Citizen watch was sent in a blue Angels box, but it isn't a blue Angels variant (it's a promaster tough). Also no manuals or other documents or warranty cards. No protective stickers, and it was running.

At first inspection the watches seem to be ok cosmetically (actually maybe some scuffs on the bracelet on my wife's watch). What would you do in this situation? Have any recommendations for me to follow up on this?
I took pictures, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to include them in the post.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Lord & Taylor New? Not New? What should I do?

Post by MoT »

If you're OK with the condition and don't care about having boxes/manuals I would at minimum ask for a partial refund, especially if they were sold as new.

Follow this guide to post pictures: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1318
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

riggle wrote:Hi all,

Both my wife and I bought watches from Lord and taylor's most recent sale. Of course the watches are supposed to be new.
My wife's watch came in a Lord and Taylor jewelry bag tucked inside a Lord and Taylor box, which was simply sent in a bubble mailer. There are no manuals or other documents. Also no protective stickers. And the automatic watch is running.

My Citizen watch was sent in a blue Angels box, but it isn't a blue Angels variant. Also no manuals or other documents. No protective stickers, and it was running.

At first inspection the watches seem to be fine cosmetically (maybe some scuffs on the bracelet on my wife's watch). What would you do in this situation? Have any recommendations for me to follow up on this?
I took pictures, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to include them in the post.
I had the same experience with a previous L&T purchase. My watch actually had a few minor scuffs on the case and two tiny dings on the crystal. Even considering those imperfections the price was pretty good. I called them and explained the situation. The customer service rep very reluctantly offered me a 10% refund. I took it and moved on. I can still sell the watch as pre-owned and get my money back.

Here is my take...

Assuming the watches are functionally sound, if L&T is willing to partially refund you thus bringing the price down to a threshold that is still a good deal had you bought them used, then go for it. If they're not willing to do that or you simply don't want what is effectively a used watch in one case and a wrong watch in the other, then return them. If L&T fights you then dispute with your CC.
Last edited by peskydonut on Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living a comeback montage.
riggle

Post by riggle »

Thanks for the advice.
I'll probably try for a price adjustment on my Citizen. It was only $120 (and I haven't seen it for less than $200)
I'll have to talk with my wife to see what she'll want to do with her watch.

ImageImage

ImageImage
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

My order got cancelled customer service was saying it was out stock, but they were still selling them online, was able to get them send me the watch but it has desk diver marks from wear and small dings all over the watch, zero correct packaging ect... if they knock 25% more off I will keep it.

No email notice that the order was cancelled, had to call to find this out, but they did start flooding my email with spam, but not a cancel notice.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

tjcdas wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:58 pm My order got cancelled customer service was saying it was out stock, but they were still selling them online, was able to get them send me the watch but it has desk diver marks from wear and small dings all over the watch, zero correct packaging ect... if they knock 25% more off I will keep it.

No email notice that the order was cancelled, had to call to find this out, but they did start flooding my email with spam, but not a cancel notice.
I had almost the same experience, order canceled while they still showed it available online....only they did notify of the cancellation and I was not able to get them to send the watch.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

tjcdas wrote:My order got cancelled customer service was saying it was out stock, but they were still selling them online, was able to get them send me the watch but it has desk diver marks from wear and small dings all over the watch, zero correct packaging ect... if they knock 25% more off I will keep it.

I'm expecting one to arrive today, I hope it's not one of those L&T specials: from our wrist into the box to your door.

Sorry to hear that, let us know how it ends up. I sure would like to visit one of their stores, though a little to far from me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Got 20% more off $98 plus tax total, I will not order from them again.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I got my Citizen Promaster Tough from L&T. The watch itself looks to be in fine condition, but I got the Blue Angels box and nothing else. It sounds like you all have been successful in getting a slight price reduction?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

tjcdas wrote:Got 20% more off $98 plus tax total, I will not order from them again.
Did you speak with someone in customer service?

I got my black Citizen Tough today, with was packaging in the box. It came in a generic Eco Drive box, not the plastic case. I can deal with that, however it must have been a display model, there is a light but visible almost half inch scratch running along the bezel edge and a small ding on the side of the case, both showing the steel underneath. Not cool. This also makes me wonder how susceptible the coating is to scratches.

Will call them on Monday and decide what to do based on anything they may offer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

It's been a while but for future reference this may help.

Finally got a partial refund two weeks ago. Turned out to be a great deal based on getting a little over 20% discount on the full order of 4, only two were damaged. It took some not so easy negotiations that, it dragged on and they subsequently reneged on the agreement. First they twice gave false info about a delay for the refund, then outright reneged, wanted to start negotiating anew. No way. I held my ground, took several calls and emails until a supervisor relented and agreed to honor the agreement.

In short, it all depends on who one talks too, the first CS agent I negotiated a deal with bargained hard, wanted evidence which I provided and then tried to further whittle me down. They all open with a low ball offer, ask for more. For future reference if CS is uncooperative try again later with someone else, escalate to supervisor or above, get a case #, save a all email communication and prepare for the long haul if necessary.