We're Moving!

Click for more info.

DWS “Make An Offer” – Legit? (Bad Experience)

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

DWS “Make An Offer” – Legit? (Bad Experience)

Post by Klaatu3 »

I was wondering if anyone here has had success with purchases using the “Make An Offer” function at Discount Watch Store? My first attempt was a disappointment, to say the least.

Backstory:
Following a lead from the (amazing) MoT HUISABH thread, I found a nice sale price on an Edox chrono back on April 7th. It was a very fair price but, being a dreaded impulse buy, I decided to try out the “Make An Offer” button & thereby submitted an offer about 11% lower than the asking price. (It turns out they use a service called PriceWaiter to field offers.) A few hours later I received an email from DWS saying my offer was accepted, with a link to complete my checkout. I followed the link, checked out at the offered price, and received an email saying “Thank you for your order” (marked “PAID”) which is attached below. My credit card was charged promptly.

I commenced the delicious, ritual anticipation of a nice little box in the mail. Then the trouble began. I went 9 days with no further word from DWS--no indication of shipping, or otherwise. So I emailed their customer service and received this reply:
“Sorry this order was never received and it is now out of stock so we have refunded you in full. We apologize for the inconvenience”

So despite all the indications to the contrary, my order was “never received?”
So was this a glitch, or did they never intend to honor my price? Or is it really a scheme where they "accept" many offers, but only fill orders with the highest offers? I understand it would have been quite a deal for me, but they are the ones extending the "offer" option.

Methinks I smell a rat…or am I just being unreasonable?

DWS order Conf-B.jpg
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
MoT
Site Admin

Re: DWS “Make An Offer” – Legit? (Bad Experience)

Post by MoT »

I wonder if there was some kind of glitch on their end.

I offered $125 on the bracelet version of that watch on the same day as you, which was a 13% savings over the price they wanted. It was on my wrist on the 12th.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 pm I wonder if there was some kind of glitch on their end.

I offered $125 on the bracelet version of that watch on the same day as you, which was a 13% savings over the price they wanted. It was on my wrist on the 12th.
Thanks Matt, in your case the numbers would seem to indicate things were on the up & up. Maybe it's your famous MoT Mojo in action. ;)

Can I hear from any other members who may have bought via Offer from Discount Watch Store?
- Klaatu3

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I made an offer to DWS, but ultimately passed and didn't buy.
It was a fair price, but I was hoping for less.

So not much help for you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Samginko
MoT Member

Post by Samginko »

Made an offer on the strap version at $115, which was 7% discount. This was on the 7th. Couple of days ago I sent an email asking about the shipping, next day I received an email from PayPal that transection was refunded.

I did not receive any email from DWS on why.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

I made an offer on a watch there on Sunday. They countered. I accepted and it was shipped with an expected delivery this Saturday. The interesting thing is the UPS tracking shows its coming from Ashford. I thought I read someone on here that someone received a watch with no box, etc. so I took a screen shot of the page showing the box. There was one stock pic of the watch and one stock pic of the box. Funny thing is after my order they now only show the watch pic and have taken the box pic down. Curious to see if I get the box or not.

I also made an offer on a couple inexpensive Timexs there several months ago and they shipped without any issue.

Edit: Just looked at the "same retailer" thread and it looks like the connection between DWS and Ashford has already been done there.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

Appreciate the anecdotes given...hard to draw conclusions from a small sample size, but it appears at least some customers are satisfied. Maybe I just experienced a website glitch...I may try the Make Offer option there again, but probably not on a large purchase, or anything I really need (want)!
- Klaatu3