We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fraud alerts

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Fraud alerts

Post by peskydonut »

Today I got hit with some fraudulent charges on a card that I predominantly use for "riskier" transactions, such as 2019's Ergode/Jet.com and AreaTrend/Massgenie deals. I don't have any concrete evidence on the connection to these vendors, simply speculating, but I thought it still useful to have a place to raise an alarm. FWIW, I also used this card for a Christopher Ward purchase. :?

If something similar has happened to you, please alert others here.

(Mods - please move if there's a more appropriate home for this thread.)
Living a comeback montage.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Fraud alerts

Post by TheJohnP »

Seems a good a place for this topic.

Interested to read if others have had similar experiences.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
seaboogers
MoT Member

Post by seaboogers »

I've purchased from Arenatrend before with zero issues in the past before.

I have no experience with the others you've mentioned though.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

seaboogers wrote:I've purchased from Arenatrend before with zero issues in the past before.

I have no experience with the others you've mentioned though.
I've got my money on Ergode, they're a verified scammer. Areatrend actually came throughout with the watches even though it was a price mistake, so I've got no beef with them.
rlachcik
MoT Member

Post by rlachcik »

peskydonut wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 pm Today I got hit with some fraudulent charges on a card that I predominantly use for "riskier" transactions, such as 2019's Ergode/Jet.com and AreaTrend/Massgenie deals. I don't have any concrete evidence on the connection to these vendors, simply speculating, but I thought it still useful to have a place to raise an alarm. FWIW, I also used this card for a Christopher Ward purchase. :?

Yeah, I started getting charges for some PS4 games, I was ready to call and cancel my card....
Turned out it was my Covid recovering Daughter taking liberties with my card.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

rlachcik wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:32 pm
peskydonut wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:34 pm Today I got hit with some fraudulent charges on a card that I predominantly use for "riskier" transactions, such as 2019's Ergode/Jet.com and AreaTrend/Massgenie deals. I don't have any concrete evidence on the connection to these vendors, simply speculating, but I thought it still useful to have a place to raise an alarm. FWIW, I also used this card for a Christopher Ward purchase. :?

Yeah, I started getting charges for some PS4 games, I was ready to call and cancel my card....
Hope your daughter recovers quickly.

I asked the wife, but didn't think to check with the 5 and 3 year old. There was that 5yo that drove his mother's car across 3 states to buy a Lambo. :shock: Although in my case it was $530+ Walmart and $800+ Nordstrom charges.

EDIT: Spoke with the bank, who told me about additional charges: Doordash and Lyft.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

peskydonut wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:23 pm

I asked the wife, but didn't think to check with the 5 and 3 year old. There was that 5yo that drove his mother's car across 3 states to buy a Lambo. :shock: Although in my case it was $530+ Walmart and $800+ Nordstrom charges.

EDIT: Spoke with the bank, who told me about additional charges: Doordash and Lyft.
Well, seems like it'll be easy to find the suspect if they're ordering food and rides to their place of residence.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Nsjong wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:53 pm
peskydonut wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Well, seems like it'll be easy to find the suspect if they're ordering food and rides to their place of residence.
I asked that question too. The CC charge only shows the company headquarters...so SF, but they did say that's something the "investigation team" can probably find out from the vendor.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Ergode is shady as anyone. I'm sure they would love to get their hands on your credit card but I doubt it is them. When you make a purchase from one of these big platforms (Amazon, Walmart, Jet, Ebay,etc) that feature third-party sellers, your shipping info (name and address) gets relayed to the vendor but my understanding is that your payment info does not get passed along. Jet is the only one that should have received your credit card info for that transaction.

I'm not familiar enough with Massgenie to know if it is the same for them. I know many of you were not happy with the MG/AT experience but I think it's worth pointing out that Areatrend is not some newcomer to the watch retail space. They have a very long-standing reputation of somewhat frequent incompetence, but not theft or any other scam tactics. Good luck, I hope you can get it all figured out.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:20 pm Ergode is shady as anyone. I'm sure they would love to get their hands on your credit card but I doubt it is them. When you make a purchase from one of these big platforms (Amazon, Walmart, Jet, Ebay,etc) that feature third-party sellers, your shipping info (name and address) gets relayed to the vendor but my understanding is that your payment info does not get passed along. Jet is the only one that should have received your credit card info for that transaction.

I'm not familiar enough with Massgenie to know if it is the same for them. I know many of you were not happy with the MG/AT experience but I think it's worth pointing out that Areatrend is not some newcomer to the watch retail space. They have a very long-standing reputation of somewhat frequent incompetence, but not theft or any other scam tactics. Good luck, I hope you can get it all figured out.
That's fair, I shouldn't cast aspersions. At the end of the day I don't know exactly how this happened and it's a slippery slope trying to assign blame. What I do know though is that I seldom use this card and the few times I used it last year was for watch purchases.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

The card I use for most stuff had a bogus PayPal charge posted last month. My PayPal isn’t linked to that card. So now I have the pleasure of having to update all the stuff I had on autopay with a new card number.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Elkins45 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:22 pm The card I use for most stuff had a bogus PayPal charge posted last month. My PayPal isn’t linked to that card. So now I have the pleasure of having to update all the stuff I had on autopay with a new card number.
Sorry. That sucks!