We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Swiss Tradition Lumi-Tech tritium field watch!

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Swiss Tradition Lumi-Tech tritium field watch!

Post by BostonCharlie »

Ordered 1/6, it arrived today, 1/17 via USPS. I paid the full $40, lol. Here is a link to the deal I bought. Not long afterwards, the seller had a promo that dropped it to $20 including shipping.

I am a Wenger fan, and this compares favorably to the Wengers I've seen. The crystal is domed, to my pleasant surprise. It has the features that I saw in the photos I found online: screwback case, screw-down crown, hefty bracelet w/ solid end links. Reading off the back: "Water resistant 330ft, mb-microtec H3, Swiss made movement, all stainless steel." The back is signed with the Swiss Tradition logo. It doesn't show up well in photos, but there is a red outline of a Swiss cross inside the white shield logo on the dial.

UPDATE: I want to add that the movement was running when it arrived, meaning that whatever power-saving feature the movement might have wasn't engaged. This reinforces the report in the deals thread (can't find the post offhand) of the battery dying prematurely.

UPDATE 2: It is now March 6th and it has only lost ~2 seconds from when I first set it, above.

This is my first tritium watch, so I didn't know what to expect. Actually, I had some high hopes based on my son's Marathon Pilot's Navigator tritium watch. My watch doesn't compare favorably to his Marathon. Rather, it fits all the descriptions I've read about T25 tritium lume: it's fine after your eyes adjust to the dark -- for me, just a few minutes. I would like to hear what some of y'all think of it. Is it what you expected from T25 tritium lume?

UPDATE: I don't know why, but I'm finding the tritium easier to see the longer I wear it. Last night in the car I could see it fine. This morning in our dark pantry I could see it fine. Maybe when I first unboxed it my eyes were especially insensitive from using my computer. Another belated surprise: the numerals are lumed. I couldn't see them at all yesterday, but today they are as bright as (but no brighter than) the tritium. On timekeeping: after 12 hours I can't detect any drift -- a good start.

I actually get a kick out of it being a no-name watch of mysterious origin. Its materials, design and craftsmanship speak for themselves.

UPDATE: Here it is on one of my Ague 20mm natos:
swiss_tradition.jpg
Please post your impressions when your watches arrive!
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Swiss Tradition Lumi-Tech tritium field watch!

Post by MoT »

I bought in when it was on sale last year. My impressions mirror yours. It is hands down, the best $15 I've ever spent on a watch.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Mine came with a scratched crystal just emailed them asking for a $10 adjustment or asked if they would cover return shipping.

They emailed back with a full refund, they dont want me to send it back, so a free watch.

The watches most likely are several years old and the tubes are past their prime but the watch is nice, heavy, with lumed numbers.

This will be my beater, beater watch, I dont own any watches with a deep 1/2 " scratch on the crystal.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

I really like mine as a travel watch because I can read it in a dark hotel room but it wouldn’t bother me if it were stolen or damaged. I agree with the assessment that the tubes are a few years old because it’s not super bright, but by the time it’s dark enough you can’t see it in natural light the tritium adds enough glow to compensate. It’s not as bright as my T25 Ball, but it also cost a whole lot less.

Build quality is nice. If the movement ever dies I will happily find another case to use the bracelet with.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I'd love to get hold of one of these. Either with metal, leather, fabric strap, or no strap at all.

I'm UK based so any assistance would be a huge help. Thank you.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Animal Mother wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm I'd love to get hold of one of these. Either with metal, leather, fabric strap, or no strap at all.

First, make a post at the Want to Buy forum -- lots of us picked them up, and some might be ready to let theirs go:
viewforum.php?f=22

This deal was available twice over the past year or so from this seller (currently OOS). So maybe check their site occasionally -- that's how I found it after missing out on the first round:
https://timetoshade.com/products/swiss- ... teel-watch

When googling around, the one helpful term to search on is "lumi-tech". It might have a different brand/badge, but it is still described as lumi-tech (but not lum-tech).
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm
Animal Mother wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm I'd love to get hold of one of these. Either with metal, leather, fabric strap, or no strap at all.

First, make a post at the Want to Buy forum -- lots of us picked them up, and some might be ready to let theirs go:
viewforum.php?f=22

This deal was available twice over the past year or so from this seller (currently OOS). So maybe check their site occasionally -- that's how I found it after missing out on the first round:

When googling around, the one helpful term to search on is "lumi-tech". It might have a different brand/badge, but it is still described as lumi-tech (but not lum-tech).
I've done that, thank you.

Are everyone's watches still going ok?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Animal Mother wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:08 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm

viewforum.php?f=22

I've done that, thank you.

Are everyone's watches still going ok?
Mine is keeping excellent time: 2 secs off after 7 weeks. As others experienced, mine already needs a new battery (it just started the low-batt second-hand jump). These had been sitting on the shelf for awhile, I guess.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Thanks buddy. Very useful.
Tsarli
MoT Member

Post by Tsarli »

Changed the battery on mine last January. Here is the movement and the battery it came with. I really like this watch.

[img][/img]
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

Swiss Tradition Men's Tritium Lumi-Tech Black Leather Strap Watch New
MSRP: $495.00
$89.99
https://www.shnoop.com/swiss-tradition- ... rap-watch/
[img]https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9sfhgzq ... 05.jpg?c=2[/img]
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

rich_in_the_lou wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:08 am
Swiss Tradition Men's Tritium Lumi-Tech Black Leather Strap Watch New
MSRP: $495.00
$89.99
https://www.shnoop.com/swiss-tradition- ... rap-watch/
[img]https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9sfhgzq ... 05.jpg?c=2[/img]
Nice find. Using the discount code WELCOME brings it down to $81.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Thanks chaps, but the £51 P&P cost makes it prohibitive.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Tsarli wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:02 pm Changed the battery on mine last January. Here is the movement and the battery it came with. I really like this watch.

[img][/img]
This is the better Ronda movement, the silver is no jewels?
About $25 for the 5 jewel 715.
Last edited by tjcdas on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

It says 5 jewel, I'd guess the 705, but 715 also looks the same but slightly larger.

[img][/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find