We're Moving!

Click for more info.

ebay Best Offer

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

ebay Best Offer

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

What response should I expect? The BIN on the watch is $8, but I am a cheap SOB and I made a Best Offer of $5, Never heard from the seller (he let the offer expire. So I offered $6 which he declined. Should I be upset that he never responded to me with a counter-offer?
Sussa
MoT Member

Re: ebay Best Offer

Post by Sussa »

In a way, they did. Their counter offer is $8. Maybe they were willing to go for $6, but got offended at your $5 offer. Or they never really meant best offer. Or it was a new listing and they don’t want to jump on a lowball. Not worth getting upset over.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

rich_in_the_lou wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:34 pm What response should I expect? The BIN on the watch is $8, but I am a cheap SOB and I made a Best Offer of $5, Never heard from the seller (he let the offer expire. So I offered $6 which he declined. Should I be upset that he never responded to me with a counter-offer?
No, the seller should be upset with himself. What's the point of taking offers if he is not going to consider them as a prospective sale. But, he probably doesn't know that.

Sellers can set a minimum offer price below which any offer is automatically declined so they don't have to bother with low ball offers.
kl884347
MoT Member

Post by kl884347 »

Well, once there was an auction with a starting price and Best Offer. I offered less than the starting price and the guy was a little offended. Yeah, it can be a little weird. I guess he wanted an offer above his starting price which didn't make sense to me.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

kl884347 wrote:Well, once there was an auction with a starting price and Best Offer. I offered less than the starting price and the guy was a little offended. Yeah, it can be a little weird. I guess he wanted an offer above his starting price which didn't make sense to me.
I've done that as well, don't know if seller was offended or not, offer was simply declined.

I don't really concern myself about offending a seller taking offers, their issue not mine. May sound rude but it's not. I realize a lot of marketplace sellers don't know anything about selling, but if they choose not to do some quick basic research about what they are doing, then they will learn the hard way.

I can sympathize when a seller who does not have an offer option gets upset over receiving lowball offers, otherwise an offer is an offer, shrug it off or try to work the sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

I've always assumed a best offer option on an auction (as opposed to a BIN) is looking for an offer higher than the minimum bid, i.e., "how much will you offer to get this now instead of competing in an auction."
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

cheddar wrote:I've always assumed a best offer option on an auction (as opposed to a BIN) is looking for an offer higher than the minimum bid, i.e., "how much will you offer to get this now instead of competing in an auction."
I believe that's the intent, however, if there are no bids, specially approaching expiration, you have nothing to loose by making a lower offer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk