We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Stuhrling Batman

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Stuhrling Batman

Post by tommy_boy »

So, some of us prefer Rolex, others, well, like me, not so much.

But to me, the Rolex 11670 BLNR "Batman" design is appealing. The price? Um, "nope."

There are various ways to get there. This is the most affordable I've found, albeit with a quartz motor.

My WIS credentials: I have a few mid-tier pieces (Omega and Breitling, for example) but most are valued under $1,500.

So one may imagine that I'd be dismissive of a quartz-powered Stuhrling, given its price point.

Most wristwatches are jewels in disguise, No?

What I wanted was to experience the Batman design on my wrist. From there, who knows? Steinhart 39?

Its construction, weight and balance is impressive given its modest $63 cost.

I can rationalize the Mercedes handset and cyclops since NOBODY looks at or cares about my watch. :lol:

It is a good test drive: the bezel colors present a representative contrast.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/12/VKkrqe.md.jpg[/img]

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/12/VKkLAo.md.jpg[/img]

The bracelet's quality is what you should expect: Sharp edges, folded end links, friction pins, really flimsy clasp.

The caseback states that it has a Swiss motor.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/12/VKktlL.md.jpg[/img]

So I swapped the paper-thin 18mm OEM clasp with one from Strap Code. Big improvement.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/03/12/VKsDTR.md.jpg[/img]

All in all, I am pleased and pleasantly surprised with this purchase. Thanks to @CVP33 who found this!
Last edited by tommy_boy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Re: Stuhrling Batman

Post by tommy_boy »

Oh, and for those who may wonder about its lume.

Well, it's a $63 watch.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

I read a description that stated the case was "alloy" to which I assume means plated brass. Can you tell me if it is a SS case or is it a plated brass case. Thanks.

I zoomed in on the picture of the case back and it does state Stainless Steel. But it's not clear if that is just the case back or the whole case.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Rocat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 pm I read a description that stated the case was "alloy" to which I assume means plated brass. Can you tell me if it is a SS case or is it a plated brass case. Thanks.

I zoomed in on the picture of the case back and it does state Stainless Steel. But it's not clear if that is just the case back or the whole case.
Fair question. I couldn't find many specs on their site or in the documents, only on the case back.

I can tell you that it weighs only 119 grams with the bracelet adjusted and a heavier clasp. I have not opened it up, but expect that based on its weight, the case is not plated brass.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

The only information I can find so far states “alloy case”.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Based on its weight, I'm guessing the case is made from plated aluminum alloy.

Anyhoo, I will list it for sale on flea bay this weekend.

A Steinhart Ocean 39 Premium 500 "Batman" will be its replacement.
Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

I got the 126711chnr clone from the same deal. Holy frijoles this watch is trash. Dial is off-center, bezel just free-spins bidirectionally, bracelet completely sucks. I should've just bought the Parnis root beer to scratch this itch, but I like quartz GMT so I don't have to re-set the timezones all the time.

I have several Stuhrling watches, and I actually like them a lot, but this one is hot garbage compared to the rest of them. Its most redeeming quality is the smoothness of the movement.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

A few thoughts for my watch brethren:

1) Are we really going to complain about a ~$60 GMT watch that actually works?

2) Are we not familiar with the vintage Rolex 1675 GMT on which this watch is based that also came with a free spinning bezel and crap bracelet?

3) 2 choices really. $60 and shut up and enjoy it or $12,000 and be afraid to wear it.

Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

I can get a Parnis Automatic GMT with a functional GMT for not much more, and the quality would embarrass this Stuhrling. In fact, this Stuhrling is embarrassed by all the the other Stuhrling I own. And it has QC defects, to boot.

I can't say I ever spent much more than about $80 on any other watch from this brand, but this one is of such lesser quality it's startling.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Starting to regret this purchase...it should arrive his week.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Thrax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 pm I can get a Parnis Automatic GMT with a functional GMT for not much more, and the quality would embarrass this Stuhrling. In fact, this Stuhrling is embarrassed by all the the other Stuhrling I own. And it has QC defects, to boot.

I can't say I ever spent much more than about $80 on any other watch from this brand, but this one is of such lesser quality it's startling.
Free returns for 30 days. Or multiple whiny posts about first world problems. Why not post the Parnis post purchase with a comparison? Life is really about choices.
Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

FTE wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:21 am Starting to regret this purchase...it should arrive his week.
Good luck! I would keep mine if it had an aligned dial. It's not bad overall, but the flaw on my unit is pretty obvious. Certainly the bracelet sucks, but it's no better or work than any Seiko bracelet I've ever received, and I can fix that with a NATO no problem.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Thrax wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 am
FTE wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:21 am Starting to regret this purchase...it should arrive his week.
Good luck! I would keep mine if it had an aligned dial. It's not bad overall, but the flaw on my unit is pretty obvious. Certainly the bracelet sucks, but it's no better or work than any Seiko bracelet I've ever received, and I can fix that with a NATO no problem.
My challenge with returns is location. With the VAT and reshipping I paid + cost to mail it back...I may see a net $20 refund. SO, even if its crap It makes more sense to keep it and try to flip.
Click Icon To Contact Me

CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

I was talking to the young man from Austin, TX with first world problems.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Stuhrling Batma

Post by watchpalooza »

Mine arrived today and I paid the €10 VAT to pick it up. IDK, to me the quality is pretty good for a $60 watch. It’s not gonna compete with a $200 watch, but IMO you get quite a bit for $60. On mine the second hand lines up fairly well on the indices (maybe 10% over). The bracelet is of better quality than I expected...again, not for a $200 watch but better than most I have seen even at twice the price. Screw-down crown. The size is just about perfect for my wrist. It runs nearly silently, so better than a low end Timex. It has a swiss rhonda quartz movement. And its a GMT. So I would not say its an astonishingly high quality watch, but I do think you get decent value at $60. I would rather have this as a beater than a Pompeak watch any day. (-;

What I do not like so much:

1) The high gloss polished case and bezel (time and using as a beater should fix this)
2) The slight misalignment of the second hand (small, but noticeable to the discerning eye)
3) Mineral crystal (will see if the coating holds up)
4) I haven’t fully tested the lume, but initial impression is that its pretty weak
Click Icon To Contact Me