We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Alpina Alpiner 4 thread

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Blue
MoT Member

The Alpina Alpiner 4 thread

Post by Blue »

Starting a thread to discuss this watch for those that recently purchased it refurbished off eBay, and also for those who are mildly interested and looking for a reason to add this to your must have list.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/0B1q9y5/Alpina2.jpg[/img]

This watch replaces my sterile dial 44mm Parnis flieger (turn those judgmental eyes away!) that I bought to determine if I could actually manage a 44mm sized dial, so it served it's purpose well.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/C7Hpv6r/Alpina4.jpg[/img]

I'm loving the blue dial (no surprise) with black date window and I think that the stainless steel bezel works really well. Overall, it definitely feels like a quality piece and is likely to stay in my collection for a while.

The only downside is that it's certainly chunkier on the wrist, but wears well with relative short lugs that curve down slightly. For reference, I have just under a 7" wrist, and it's a close fit.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Z2KgrkC/Alpina5.jpg[/img]

So there you have it... my new goto flight watch.

And I've even modded it, opting for a darker leather strap with contrasting stitching.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/dfyKpq6/Alpina3.jpg[/img]

Post your pictures/thoughts if you picked one up!
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.” ― Akira Kurosawa
ddavidsonmd
MoT Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Alpina Alpiner 4 thread

Post by ddavidsonmd »

Got mine a few months ago on the bracelet. Love this watch. Came brand new even though it was described as Refurbished [emoji106]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 9dd7ce.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and monitored by the NSA
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

I got it on bracelet too. That blue is unique and COOL. When I describe it as COOL, I mean they are not royal, navy or bright blue that you often find, it is not a warm color but matches what Alpina describes as something like glacier blue.

I have three Alpina now and still want to get a few more in the future. With the big discounts around, the brand is one of my favourites. Their design is balanced and care for the details. They are not bold watches but the details are well considered. For example, their hands, color combination. Every time I wear my Sunray startimer, I can't stop myself look at it over and over on my wrist. Their finish is also top rated.

I had owned Zenith, Panerai, Omega, and I really regret that I sold my Zenith Rainbow and PAM 005, but I have changed my perspective on watch collecting. When moves up the price range, the quality difference diminishes. Expensive watches are really nice but there are other things that worth more for spending your hard earnings, which I mean things for your family.

I can't quit this hobby but I basically don't buy watches over USD 1000 now,. and Alpina allows me enjoying watches that have the quality well beyond its price range. And that reinforces my belief of getting more value for money is a big part of contributing to the fun of collecting. It is also really something when you have your own rationale developed throughout the collecting process, proud of yourself for having critical mind, enjoy it as part of the fun, but still understand and respect others choices.

Maybe it's too much sharing here. in short, I highly recommend this and also other Alpina models. Guys, happy hunting and enjoy.
Blue
MoT Member

Post by Blue »

The bracelet looks great, but it's $315 if purchased separately from Alpina! :o

Anyone have a lead on an alternative source?
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Blue wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 pm The bracelet looks great, but it's $315 if purchased separately from Alpina! :o

Anyone have a lead on an alternative source?
I didn't try to swap the braclet but the watch shares the 22mm lug width with some other models of Alpina, for example, the startimer. I noticed that they are a bit different as that one with Alpiner is tapered at the spring bars. I suggest you look for and buy another Alpina model on big discount that comes with the bracelet. That will give you an OEM bracelet and a new watch with only around 500 bucks. I didn't check the lug width of some quartz models, if they are 22mm, it will cost you even less than the new bracelet alone. Just my opinion. Wish that helps.
Blue
MoT Member

Post by Blue »

Had a few watches come in that stole my wrist time, but the Alpina is back in rotation and I'm really enjoying wearing it.

The watch just screams quality. Though I wish the lume was a bit better...

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Pc50y43/alpiner5.jpg[/img]
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

hello,
I've been eyeing this watch and saw a refurbished unit going on ebay for about $463 on a leather strap. May I ask what's the lowest anyone seen with the metal bracelet?
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

pgcity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm hello,
I've been eyeing this watch and saw a refurbished unit going on ebay for about $463 on a leather strap. May I ask what's the lowest anyone seen with the metal bracelet?
The bracelet was at a similar price as the leather version about few months ago. The same seller I believe.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

VCheng wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:22 pm
pgcity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm hello,
The bracelet was at a similar price as the leather version about few months ago. The same seller I believe.
Got it. Thank you.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

well I finally pulled the trigger on this watch with the leather strap after staring at that Ebay page for so long thanks to the manontime forum.Hope it's wearable on my 7" wrist.asked the local AD for the bracelet and was quoted at 285USD at current exchange rate and a lead time of 4 months. One bracelet I found that seems to match the look and feel is the Geckota Berwick https://www.watchgecko.com/classic-berw ... atch-strap .The bracelet comes with straight instead of curved end links by default. They do sell curved ones too but when I contacted Geckota but they weren't sure on which ones would fit this watch.

Any suggestions on alternative metal bracelet with same look and feel and could fit without problems?
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

What do you Alpiner lovers think of this one?

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 7275c5.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Wolfsatz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:54 pm What do you Alpiner lovers think of this one?

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 7275c5.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it looks pretty cool. If I buy an ABC watch, I will choose it at discounted price. I tried to wear smart watch then I found out I don't really need the functions. And I think they don't give me the enjoyment of craftsman that fine ordinary watches provide. Though I own a few g shocks which I wear for gym and running. I think the silver bezel is nice which give the overall look a subtle pop. Good looking watch. I am sure it is a good combination of serious finishing and smart tech. Enjoy.
Franko
MoT Member

Post by Franko »

I Love this watch, can't wait until it is discounted again. He's sold out on Ebay.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

Franko wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 pm I Love this watch, can't wait until it is discounted again. He's sold out on Ebay.
yeah i bought the last one listed.still waiting for it to arrive.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

My watch just arrived. Brand new attached with the price tag string on watch and original price tag on box. Warranty card is undated/unstamped.

If it is refurbished as stated by seller, I can't see it. If there's only one complaint,it would be the watch caseback art, which isn't aligned north south but slightly angled due to how the caseback was fitted I'm guessing. I am wondering if it's same for everybody else?

I will post my pictures later. At this point it looks like seller, officialwatchdeals has 3 more watches on Ebay for the same price I paid. I think it's a great watch for the price.

Link to seller is here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpina-Mens-AL ... SwleRcR3Sw

now if I could only find an alternative metal bracelet that looks similar to the original it'd be perfect.