We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Zelos Horizons GMT - short review

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Boourns
MoT Member

Zelos Horizons GMT - short review

Post by Boourns »

So I received my Zelos GMT last Friday and have worn it every day since, as anyone who frequents the WRUW thread knows already. I am quite happy with it, even considering I had to let go of my Squale 1521 to get it. Here are some brief thoughts:

-It's a really great looking watch. The colors are deep, and there is some great detail in the dial that is visible in bright light. An example from my WRUW pic today:
[img]https://imgur.com/LPeuBIb.jpg[/img]

-It's early, but so far it's keeping time at about 1.5 seconds per day. Already my most accurate watch.

-As I noted in the Upcoming Watches thread, the bezel is 60-click. This is my first GMT watch (quartz or auto), so I have no past experience. But I would think a 24 (or 48, if that's a thing) click bezel would be more appropriate? So far the only downside.

-A small detail is that the case is both brushed and polished. You can see this in a couple of pics in the album. Most of the case is brushed, but the two edges along the sides of the lugs and between the lugs is polished.
[img]https://imgur.com/7YpYb4d.jpg[/img]

-Zelos lume is great. This is my second Zelos (I had a bronze Mako), and this is just about on par with that. However, the crown is not lumed on this watch.
[img]https://imgur.com/K7zof7a.jpg[/img]

-The box is nicer than the one my Mako came in. Thicker and more sturdy.

-The straps that come with the watch (one black rubber one brown horween) are excellent. The Horween especially is so nice.

-Cool engraved rotor:
[img]https://imgur.com/wfqNRHT.jpg[/img]

-As most report, dealing with Zelos is great. The Watch shipped 11 p.m. my time on Wednesday night and arrived before noon on Friday. If you displayed the FedEx tracking info in local times, the watch actually time travelled backwards between Japan and Indiana. :lol:

Here's the full album with a bunch of shots. Most while stopped in traffic today:

If anyone has questions or wants specific pics let me know!
Last edited by Boourns on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
nyonya
MoT Member

Re: Zelos Horizons GMT - short review

Post by nyonya »

Thanks for the review! Since you swapped a Squale 1521 for this one, could you compare how they wear? Particularly wondering about the thickness of the Horizons. How does it slide under a long-sleeve shirt?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

That is a really great looking watch! Thanks for posting your thoughts about it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

nyonya wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 am Thanks for the review! Since you swapped a Squale 1521 for this one, could you compare how they wear? Particularly wondering about the thickness of the Horizons. How does it slide under a long-sleeve shirt?
The Zelos wears a bit better for me. It's a couple mm smaller in all dimensions: thickness (12mm vs 14) diameter (40 vs 42) and lug-to-lug length (45 vs 49). The Squale wears very well for a watch that size, but I prefer the Zelos proportions. That little bit makes it just about perfect for my 6.75-in wrist.

It is already short sleeve weather here in Texas, so I haven't worn it under a long sleeve shirt yet. The Squale was borderline annoying to wear under a dress shirt. This should be somewhat better, though 12mm is still substantial.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

The green version is incredible to me. I do miss the good ol' days of sub-$600 Zelos, but I'm afraid Elshan will sell all he can make at $649 and up.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

CVP33 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 pm The green version is incredible to me. I do miss the good ol' days of sub-$600 Zelos, but I'm afraid Elshan will sell all he can make at $649 and up.
I was tempted by the green but I ultimately decided I liked the blue better. Re: the cost you can still get some colorways of the Mako for $550. It's a really solid watch. I do think he'll sell out of the Horizons GMT -- an ETA GMT for $650 is really hard to beat.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Quick update: Watch has been running since the evening April 28. Through this morning it's at -2.7 seconds for an average rate of -.7 seconds per day.
norsairius
MoT Member

Post by norsairius »

The watch looks great and I'm glad to see it's running very accurately! I think that the price is very good for an elaboré grade ETA GMT movement.

Can't wait to get mine! I'll make sure to post pics here. I'd probably have mine already if I stuck with my initial decision to get the slate grey, but in a moment of weakness (one of many recent ones), I cancelled that and ordered the meteorite, so it hasn't shipped yet.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

norsairius wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:54 pm The watch looks great and I'm glad to see it's running very accurately! I think that the price is very good for an elaboré grade ETA GMT movement.

Can't wait to get mine! I'll make sure to post pics here. I'd probably have mine already if I stuck with my initial decision to get the slate grey, but in a moment of weakness (one of many recent ones), I cancelled that and ordered the meteorite, so it hasn't shipped yet.
Can't wait to see that one in IRL pics. I thought about that one, but I'm cheap so I went with blue. :lol:
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Boourns wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:13 pm
CVP33 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 pm The green version is incredible to me. I do miss the good ol' days of sub-$600 Zelos, but I'm afraid Elshan will sell all he can make at $649 and up.
I was tempted by the green but I ultimately decided I liked the blue better. Re: the cost you can still get some colorways of the Mako for $550. It's a really solid watch. I do think he'll sell out of the Horizons GMT -- an ETA GMT for $650 is really hard to beat.
Yup, I have the Mako, SkyRaider and Hammerhead.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Having the lume from the GMT hand match the triangle on the bezel is a really neat touch. Great looking watch and the specs are ridiculous at that price. I am glad you are enjoying that beauty!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

byronWorgo
Has thanked: 0

Zelos Horizons GMT short review

Post by byronWorgo »

Thanks for the review this was something I had considered but sorta wrote off because I didnt wanna be the guinea pig.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Zelos Horizons GMT short review

Post by watchpalooza »

byronWorgo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:55 am Thanks for the review this was something I had considered but sorta wrote off because I didnt wanna be the guinea pig.
From my own experience, you do not need to worry about Zelos...they sweat the details and every one of their watches is exceptional.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

They have the all bronze model available now. Dear God!

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0387/ ... 1557917061[/img]
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

CVP33 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm They have the all bronze model available now. Dear God!

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0387/ ... 1557917061[/img]
The all bronze you posted and the green bronze I think are particularly striking.

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0387/ ... 1557916909[/img]