We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Tevise Chinese Colt Homage

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Tevise Chinese Colt Homage

Post by Klaatu3 »

A few weeks back someone posted a deal for a Tevise “Colt homage” on wish.com.

Post #6592 in HUISABH thread
viewtopic.php?p=18456#p18456

I impulse-bought a black one, against my better judgement and several self-imposed rules, for US $20 on April 27th.

Received it quickly—no complaints about that—but the watch is rubbish.

At first glance it strikes a handsome pose, owing to the striking design of the Breitling it copies. But the quality is disappointing to say the least.

The Bezel is NON-rotating, for looks only. The finish of the bezel is very rough (as if the machinist heard the 5:00 whistle and just dropped what he was doing) and its white marker paint is splotchy and uneven. The deep blue dial is nice enough, under the right lighting.

[img][/img]

The matching bracelet scratches very easily, is flimsy and nearly impossible to size (I am not inexperienced sizing bracelets, but the pins were a nightmare). I bent several pin tools trying to push out the pins, then realized the tools cost more than the watch. The end links fit poorly against the case. So I scrapped the bracelet and put the watch head on a Maratac leather strap I had sitting around.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

The unspecified, non-hacking automatic movement is visible through the see-through casebask. Its brass-colored rotor is attractively decorated, but there are two spots that look like rust on the center pivot (see pic).

[img][/img]

Other gripes: The crown doesn’t screw down, belying the dial’s 300m claim (caseback actually states 3ATM, which is believable). The case, with a diameter about 42mm, is covered in black paint which chips easily, as it did during bracelet removal (see pics). The date number isn’t centered in the window.

"Buyer beware" of course...I took a chance. That said, so far it runs reasonably well, but certainly isn’t a “chronometre” as the dial claims. It’s attractive to a very casual observer, and I won’t bother returning it, so I guess I’ll keep it as a beater.

Final Note: I don’t think I’ll be ordering from that site anymore. I later discovered, among other things, that some of the watches they sell are fakes…not homages, but cheap imitations actually using the real brand name. ‘Nuff said.
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Tevise Chinese Colt Homage

Post by TheJohnP »

Sorry you had to take that bullet for the rest of us.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I knew what I was getting in to, but I took a chance anyway.

If [mention]Klaatu3[/mention] got a Friday afternoon watch, I must have gotten a Friday morning. Mine shows some poor bezel finishing and paint application. Everything else seems to be good. That being said, I don't have any confidence in the finish. Definite beater watch.
20190509_114446.jpg
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Franko
MoT Member

Post by Franko »

That's a funny review, great read!!