We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Da Luca Watch Straps- Any Experiences?

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
rebelwithoutaclue

Da Luca Watch Straps- Any Experiences?

Post by rebelwithoutaclue »

A year or so ago, I ordered a lizard strap through (Mass)Drop from Da Luca. The experience was underwhelming to say the least. It was my largest investment to date in a strap, a green strap to match my Tisell Hulk homage. The stitching was uneven, the finishing unprofessional, and my experience was echoed in the comments on that drop.

Their 2 piece cordovan straps have pretty mixed reviews, but their more recent drops don't seem bad. I'm reluctant to leave a bad review for a company that may have messed up but has turned around, so I now ask our community- have any of you had any experiences with Da Luca?
testing123
MoT Member

Re: Da Luca Watch Straps- Any Experiences?

Post by testing123 »

I got some 2 piece cordovan's on the drop you mentioned, and I think 1 of the horween nato's, and while I didn't notice anything off about the stitching, I found that the leather was very soft and supple, but that the colored/treated upper surface just decayed horribly immediately, like as soon as you buckled it for the first time, the brown surface was just trashed, maybe it is meant to be that way, but I feel for the money, even at 'Drop' prices, the finished surface should hold up much better than that.

The 2 piece ones, I installed those on a couple watches, and found that they were very comfortable but also just wore in SO fast to the point they look used up already even though my watches are on like a once or twice a month rotation right now (the ones with those straps...)

Like I said in my post about them on the Deal thread, maybe I just don't get the finer luxuries in life and how they're supposed to be, and I don't think I own any other Horween leather other than those that came on my Zelos watch...maybe they are all that way? I did notice the same frailty about my Horween leather strap from Zelos, I was going to put it on but immediately noticed that the surface would be permanently marred if buckled, and since I don't know if I might sell it soon, I stopped myself and put the Horween strap back in the watch roll. It seems very nice and soft but if I do sell it, I want the new owner to be able to break it in themselves. Perhaps this is the attraction to Horween leather, the way it 'breaks in' as soon as you touch it....anyone??
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I always figured, I'm enough of a horse's ass already, I don't need to wear one too.
cgrey2

Post by cgrey2 »

Generally vintage / rustic is the style of their straps, so the stitching reflects that. That's part of the look, if you like it. I can see why some people would not. Same with the roughness of the cutting. I have two of their vintage leather straps, both made from ammo pouches, and there is nothing wrong about the quality or durability of the leather. However, those aren't what are being offered through Drop.