We're Moving!

Click for more info.

RIP, Lake House Leathers

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

RIP, Lake House Leathers

Post by Klaatu3 »

I’ll start by saying this is a review of a “cottage industry” leather goods/strap maker that has announced they’re going out of business. So, this is probably only of interest as a case study, or to past customers.

Read on, IF you care…

This seller has been the subject of some consternation lately on other MoT threads, mainly over shipping delays, average quality, and communications issues. For example:

Link: http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=358

I have no affiliation with Lake House Leathers. This is my second order from them, and I admit I was only marginally satisfied with the first. However, I have a soft spot for small businesses, who take a lot of risk and which all too often go under within a few years of starting. That, combined with clearance prices on Horween leather, led me to give them a second chance. I even posted their half-price closeout sale in the HUISABH thread (drawing mixed feedback).

Link: http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php? ... 275#p20216

I ordered two handmade vintage-style Chromexcel Horsebutt straps for $13.50 each. That’s generally unheard of for leather of this quality. Shipping time was improved, but not stellar—ordered May 11, received June 3. Since these were made to order and it’s basically a one-man shop, I’m willing to cut them a break. The owner, Matthew, has been forthcoming about his workload issues and kept in touch with buyers on the order status.

I’m generally pretty pleased with the quality for the price this time--YMMV. They’re thick, stitching looks robust, the outside color attractive, and the inside soft & comfy. They'll work for a casual day. The straps are slightly wider than spec’d (20mm is closer to 21mm) but better slightly over-sized than under. They also tend to be a bit short, but I didn’t specify length in my order.
PCMX1935ER2.jpg
PCMX1938ER.jpg
POSTSCRIPT: As far as I know they've stopped taking orders. Whether we hear more from Lake House or not remains to be seen; whatever the case, I think the watch community is diminished when a well-meaning small vendor goes under. It’s one less option available when you don’t want to patronize a faceless online colossus like Amazon. I think we should patronize and encourage them, IF they produce something we want. Again, YMMV.
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: RIP, Lake House Leathers

Post by Boourns »

My straps finally shipped and should arrive Thursday. Four days short of a month between ordering and getting the straps. We'll see about the quality.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Always sad to see someone go under trying to do what you know they love.

Personally, kind of wish I enjoyed the straps I ordered more.
Then again, don't hate them. Very "meh" about them overall.

Then again, for the price paid, can't complain too much.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I didn't expect much, so can't complain about the value received at the BOGO price point.

Had I paid full price, however, I'd have been very disappointed.

Regardless, I trust that Matt does well in his next venture. Seems like an OK guy.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

My straps finally came in. For the price, I would say they were a great deal. They are a little thin compared to the Horween strap that came with my Zelos and don't have a floating keeper, though the strap itself is short enough that it doesn't really need one. Otherwise they are very nice and the leather is good quality. At $40 or whatever the normal price would have been, I don't think it would have been worth it. But at the $13 I paid, I should probably have bought a black one, too.

I wish that watch were 38mm?