We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Custom Watch Storage

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Custom Watch Storage

Post by Stretch44 »

So my wife and I recently started building out our walk in closet. We designed it at Ikea using the Pax system and we're also customizing it. I made built in shoe shelves for the wife and now I get to attempt to build custom watch storage. I highly recommend the Pax, we would have spent $10,000 for the same closet but custom. We spent well under $2,000 for the Ikea system.

I started with 2.5" by 1\2" poplar wood to make the box.

So far so good. My cuts were pretty darn good. I used wood glue and finishing nails to build it.

Next was the hard part... the actual watch storage. For this, I got 1.5" x 1/4" poplar. I used bar clamps to hold the pieces together and cut them together for consistency.

Next was making the slot cuts to combine the pieces. The slots needed to be 1/4" wide , but my compact saw blade was nowhere near that thick. So I marked 1/4" wide on the correct spots and made several passes.with the compact saw to get it an 1/4" wide. Then used a chisel to.even out the cuts. The cuts aren't perfect, but good enough. Wood fill is your friend.

ImageImage

Next was putting together the cuts. My cuts were pretty decent so they fit fairly snug. Some sections will need wood fill and then a coat of paint. Once together, I secured them to the box with finishing nails.

I then did wood fill to cover any areas with gaps. I didn't have too many gaps, but since I'm painting it I want to fill any imperfections.

Next step is tomorrow: painting it. This is the box in the shelf. I'm pretty stoked at how well it came out so far. I'm hoping to finish tomorrow, but I do still need a bunch of watch pillows. 48 to be exact. Anyone know of a good place to get inexpensive ones?

Last edited by Stretch44 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Custom Watch Storage

Post by Boourns »

This looks awesome. My wife and I did our closet last year with a lower end container store. My only regret is not doing something specifically for watches.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

.38 a piece at AliExpress
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000288483618.html

15 pieces for $15 at Amazon
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

What I do for cheap pillows is 3" diameter foam pipe then just cut it to your width. Or if you can't find that size take two smaller ones, cut a slot in them and put one in the other
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:42 pm So my wife and I recently started building out our walk in closet. We designed it at Ikea using the Pax system and we're also customizing it. I made built in shoe shelves for the wife and now I get to attempt to build custom watch storage. I highly recommend the Pax, we would have spent $10,000 for the same closet but custom. We spent well under $2,000 for the Ikea system.

I started with 2.5" by 1\4" poplar wood to make the box.

So far so good. My cuts were pretty darn good. I used wood glue and finishing nails to build it.

Next was the hard part... the actual watch storage. For this, I got 1.5" x 1/8" poplar. I used bar clamps to hold the pieces together and cut them together for consistency.

Next was making the slot cuts to combine the pieces. The slots needed to be 1/8" wide , but my compact saw blade was nowhere near that thick. So I marked 1/8" wide on the correct spots and made several passes.with the compact saw to get it an 1/8" wide. Then used a chisel to.even out the cuts. The cuts aren't perfect, but good enough. Wood fill is your friend.

Next was putting together the cuts. My cuts were pretty decent so they fit fairly snug. Some sections will need wood fill and then a coat of paint. Once together, I secured them to the box with finishing nails.

I then did wood fill to cover any areas with gaps. I didn't have too many gaps, but since I'm painting it I want to fill any imperfections.

Next step is tomorrow: painting it. This is the box in the shelf. I'm pretty stoked at how well it came out so far. I'm hoping to finish tomorrow, but I do still need a bunch of watch pillows. 48 to be exact. Anyone know of a good place to get inexpensive ones?
Have been considering doing this with a Pax. Great job, it looks fantastic. For cushions, Amazon or AliExpress have lots. Some options:

Here $2.81 for 5:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000149 ... hweb201603_

Other options at AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Watch%252 ... 5e20il0bvH

Here 10 for $9.88:

Here 20 for for $10.90:

Here 20 for $9.90:

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Thanks for the tip, [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] and [mention]watchapalooza[/mention]. I ordered a bunch from Amazon. Hopefully they work out. If not, I'll try [mention]Androidisawesome[/mention]'s method.

Here it is painted with my cushions from other boxes. I'm pretty happy with it for being my first watch storage build.

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:12 pm Thanks for the tip, @TheJohnP and @watchapalooza. I ordered a bunch from Amazon. Hopefully they work out. If not, I'll try @Androidisawesome's method.

Here it is painted with my cushions from other boxes. I'm pretty happy with it for being my first watch storage build.

That looks great! I think the cushions fit your aesthetic better than the pipe foam would. For me pipe foam is preferred as I look to build a vertical wall cabinet and for the configuration they hold better.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:12 pm Thanks for the tip, @TheJohnP and @watchapalooza. I ordered a bunch from Amazon. Hopefully they work out. If not, I'll try @Androidisawesome's method.

This is great! Really well done and you should be proud. I see the MoT sticker in there, too :D .
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

Awesome work [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

Great looking box!
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

This is fantastic - very well done!

I have been considering something similar, but the issue of security has always given me pause (not to mention my limited DIY skills). I thought about trying to do it in metal, but that's obviously a lot more work and wouldn't have a display top.

Your project has me reconsidering!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

baldrick wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:22 am This is fantastic - very well done!

I have been considering something similar, but the issue of security has always given me pause (not to mention my limited DIY skills). I thought about trying to do it in metal, but that's obviously a lot more work and wouldn't have a display top.

Your project has me reconsidering!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks! It was a fun project and relatively easy. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased cushions first to determine the size of each cubbie. I used the dimensions of my then current watch box thinking it'd be the same. The cushions I've found are either too wide or not wide enough. Here's a pic with the different cushions.

whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

It's filling up quick!
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

whoagorgeous wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:21 pm It's filling up quick!
Yeah... a little too quick!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I love seeing watches I have modified in someone’s collection. I need to get back to making more of these though I always wonder if anyone wants them. Hopefully my next round is made from better base watches.