We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fine scratches on case side between lugs from leather strap?

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
cheddar
MoT Member

Fine scratches on case side between lugs from leather strap?

Post by cheddar »

I was changing the leather strap on my Hammy Intra Matic chrono this morning and noticed some very fine scratches on the side of the case between the lugs. Due to the placement of the lugs on this watch, the end of the strap fits tightly and rubs against the side of the case right where the scratches are, which I suspect is the cause. Didn't realize leather could do that, but maybe there are fine particles in the finish of the leather or else some small dust that's getting in there with just enough grit. Most of my watches are brushed between the lugs (perhaps to help avoid this), but the IM is highly polished everywhere.

Anyway, it's hidden when a strap is on and barely noticeable when the strap is off, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case there's some obvious precaution I could be taking to avoid it at all. I thought I might take some rubbing alcohol to the end of the strap to remove some of the leather finish/soften it up to see if that might help.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Fine scratches on case side between lugs from leather strap?

Post by DogOnTime »

It's genuinely inevitable as it will catch debris upon normal wear over time. I wouldn't recommend fussing over it as a quick wipe with something like cape cod polishing cloth will make it seem like new.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Nsjong wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:51 pm It's genuinely inevitable as it will catch debris upon normal wear over time. I wouldn't recommend fussing over it as a quick wipe with something like cape cod polishing cloth will make it seem like new.
Oh, I know. I’m not really that bothered by it, just hadn’t encountered it before, and didn’t find much about anyone else experiencing it, so I thought it was worth a quick post.

After looking around a bit more, I found folks with the opposite problem (case scratching the leather) who have tried curved spring bars, so I bought a few of those for a coupla bucks and will try it out.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I've never even noticed. If some of my watches have some, it won't bother me, but out of curiosities sake I will be looking at the are with a loupe now! :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody