We're Moving!

Click for more info.

20mm Stainless Steel Springbars That Are What They Say They Are (Ie, Not Brass), And Don't Cost The Earth?

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
ttl2
MoT Member

20mm Stainless Steel Springbars That Are What They Say They Are (Ie, Not Brass), And Don't Cost The Earth?

Post by ttl2 »

Guys, and girls, I have an incoming Codek Spiral (thanks to all who discussed it on this forum), not-so-luckily for me, I missed the strap options.

However, I have a bundle of WatchGecko 20mm bracelets/NATOs/leathers I won in an auction, but no springbars.

From reading around, it seems many Chinese sellers imply theirs are "stainless steel" but they're often made from brass, which means they'll bend more easily (?).

Any you can recommend that aren't super-expensive? I'm in the UK, by the way.

Thank you for your help!
sistem_32
MoT Member

Re: 20mm Stainless Steel Springbars That Are What They Say They Are (Ie, Not Brass), And Don't Cost The Earth?

Post by sistem_32 »

Esslinger seems to offer steel spring bars for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. I can't vouch for their spring bars specifically, but I've ordered other things from them and found the service satisfactory.

https://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-pins/
ttl2
MoT Member

Re: 20mm Stainless Steel Springbars That Are What They Say They Are (Ie, Not Brass), And Don't Cost The Earth?

Post by ttl2 »

sistem_32 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:00 am Esslinger seems to offer steel spring bars for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. I can't vouch for their spring bars specifically, but I've ordered other things from them and found the service satisfactory.

Thanks, but eeek!

Other UK-friendly options would be welcome, as it's a minefield trying to figure out who's decent and who isn't, especially on ebay.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

ttl2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm
sistem_32 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:00 am Esslinger seems to offer steel spring bars for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. I can't vouch for their spring bars specifically, but I've ordered other things from them and found the service satisfactory.

Thanks, but eeek!

Other UK-friendly options would be welcome, as it's a minefield trying to figure out who's decent and who isn't, especially on ebay.
Ouch, sorry about that. After looking around a little bit more, I found a couple of contenders: a website called SecTime offers free shipping in the UK, as does Amazon.co.uk, albeit with a slightly sketchier selection. I did find a couple promising looking Amazon listings here and here.
ttl2
MoT Member

Post by ttl2 »

sistem_32 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:59 pm Ouch, sorry about that. After looking around a little bit more, I found a couple of contenders: a website called SecTime offers free shipping in the UK, as does Amazon.co.uk, albeit with a slightly sketchier selection. I did find a couple promising looking Amazon listings here and here.
Thank you. I'm not familiar with watchmaker-friendly sites, so hadn't heard of SecTime before. I'll give the "Amazon Choice"/Fulfilled By Amazon seller listing a go, as the reviews look good.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ttl2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks, but eeek!

Send them to me. I live near Esslinger and if you place the order this weekend, I'll have them on Tuesday. I can then put them in an envelope and mail them to you.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
ttl2
MoT Member

Post by ttl2 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 pm Send them to me. I live near Esslinger and if you place the order this weekend, I'll have them on Tuesday. I can then put them in an envelope and mail them to you.
Aw bless you, it's too much of a faff, I just bought from Amazon. But thanks for your kindness and thanks for a great forum :)
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

For the record if you're looking for spring bars a step up from the 8.6 million piece kit for $9.99 kits on Amazon, but don't want to spend $1 per spring bar from somewhere like Toxic Natos, etc ($1 a piece? Got to be kidding me), these are, in my experience, the perfect midpoint in price and fantastic quality (I really doubt anyone's $1 spring bars are much better).

http://www.ofrei.com/page_203.html#2991

Spend like $20 and get a lifetime supply of all sizes. I've never had one of these come close to failing and they're noticeably thicker and stronger than the cheap ones.
ttl2
MoT Member

Post by ttl2 »

cortman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:32 pm For the record if you're looking for spring bars a step up from the 8.6 million piece kit for $9.99 kits on Amazon, but don't want to spend $1 per spring bar from somewhere like Toxic Natos, etc ($1 a piece? Got to be kidding me), these are, in my experience, the perfect midpoint in price and fantastic quality (I really doubt anyone's $1 spring bars are much better).

Spend like $20 and get a lifetime supply of all sizes. I've never had one of these come close to failing and they're noticeably thicker and stronger than the cheap ones.
Useful for some members, perhaps. But not for me - as it's $60+ shipping. I'm sure there will be UK-friendly reputable sellers somewhere, just nobody has replied, so far.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

ttl2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:24 pm
cortman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:32 pm For the record if you're looking for spring bars a step up from the 8.6 million piece kit for $9.99 kits on Amazon, but don't want to spend $1 per spring bar from somewhere like Toxic Natos, etc ($1 a piece? Got to be kidding me), these are, in my experience, the perfect midpoint in price and fantastic quality (I really doubt anyone's $1 spring bars are much better).

Useful for some members, perhaps. But not for me - as it's $60+ shipping. I'm sure there will be UK-friendly reputable sellers somewhere, just nobody has replied, so far.
Ah missed the bit about the UK. That makes it pretty expensive alright.
konax
MoT Member

Post by konax »

in UK you have Cousins and they have pretty much everything related to watches
https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/spri ... dual-sizes