We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Adventures in accessorizing

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Adventures in accessorizing

Post by watchpalooza »

Would love to help, but I have never used the plier-type. My preference is the Bergeon 6111. They go for about $30.
4C2F417B-BD04-4334-9278-838B9FAC0013.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 am Would love to help, but I have never used the plier-type. My preference is the Bergeon 6111. They go for about $30.

That is good to know.

Today I changed the leather on my new Airman and knew beforehand that the plier type would not be of any use...but then again, the only time I wish I had the plier type was with a bracelet.
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Split-Time wrote:
watchpalooza wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 am Would love to help, but I have never used the plier-type. My preference is the Bergeon 6111. They go for about $30.

That is good to know.

Today I changed the leather on my new Airman and knew beforehand that the plier type would not be of any use...but then again, the only time I wish I had the plier type was with a bracelet.
Thanks! Pliers are extremely useful for bracelets. I wish they had a tool for fitting in bracelets quickly without fear of scratching something. And the Burgeon 7825 seemed good for the job as well.

VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

peskydonut wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:52 pm The Haveston straps came in. For now just photos, I'll add some thoughts later...

Awesome! I have to say that gives the watches a different look. Looking forward to reading your comments on the quality.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

VCheng wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:37 am Awesome! I have to say that gives the watches a different look. Looking forward to reading your comments on the quality.
I ended up writing a mini-review of the M-1918C straps, which can be found here.
Living a comeback montage.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

peskydonut wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:44 pm Helm C1

I also bought a Helm canvas strap to go with the recently acquired Seiko SRP779. It's an excellently made strap, especially at $25, but man is this thing stiff!! Holy smokes. When I first put it on it felt like my arm was sandwiched between two planks. After spending some time bending and shaping it around my wrist the strap felt better, but there's still work to be done. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, but experience is similar to breaking in new ski/snowboard boots. The strap came with two keepers, one of which I took off since I could barely bend the strap to get it through the first keeper, let alone the second one.

Excuse me Monsieur [mention]peskydonut[/mention] ......when you have a minute. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the Helm canvas straps now that you've had more time to break them in.....assuming you're still wearing them and haven't given up. Are they still stiff? Would you recommend them? Or something similar? Any thoughts at all will be appreciated. I definitely like the look, I'm just wanna make sure they're not still uncomfortable after months of wear. Thanks.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 am
peskydonut wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:44 pm Helm C1

I also bought a Helm canvas strap to go with the recently acquired Seiko SRP779. It's an excellently made strap, especially at $25, but man is this thing stiff!! Holy smokes. When I first put it on it felt like my arm was sandwiched between two planks. After spending some time bending and shaping it around my wrist the strap felt better, but there's still work to be done. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, but experience is similar to breaking in new ski/snowboard boots. The strap came with two keepers, one of which I took off since I could barely bend the strap to get it through the first keeper, let alone the second one.

Excuse me Monsieur @peskydonut ......when you have a minute. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the Helm canvas straps now that you've had more time to break them in.....assuming you're still wearing them and haven't given up. Are they still stiff? Would you recommend them? Or something similar? Any thoughts at all will be appreciated. I definitely like the look, I'm just wanna make sure they're not still uncomfortable after months of wear. Thanks.
The HELM strap is thick and stiff. I spent some time bending it and trying to break it in. It's a little softer now, but what's more important it is more formed to the wrist (i.e. curves rather than being flat) which makes a big difference in how comfortably it wears. It's still pretty rigid, but that rigidity is contoured to my wrist if that makes any sense. Kind of like heat molded ski boots.

One thing that happened is that it formed a crease in the middle. I feel like I've seen this happen with other canvas straps, but maybe not so pronounced with thinner ones. I contacted HELM and they sent me a replacement strap, no questions asked. It was around Chinese New Year and there were some shipping delays, but the communication was very timely and proactive. So full marks on customer service.

Unfortunately, I don't wear that particular strap much anymore because it's 22mm and the main watch I used it on was the Turtle, which I now have on the OEM bracelet. But I would definitely consider getting another in a 20mm.

Overall, I would say that they're good for the price and my customer service experience was very positive. If you do buy one, be ready for a thick, substantial strap which would pair better with a bulkier watch rather than something like a C🍩cktail Time (why are you putting a fancy dress watch on canvas anyway?).

If you're looking for something thinner and softer in that price range, I'd look at the usual suspects like Barton, Ritche, BluShark. (I only have personal experience with the latter)
Last edited by peskydonut on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Thank you, that's really helpful! 👍
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:28 pm Thank you, that's really helpful! 👍
Sure thing!

Another canvas strap that's been on my radar is the Rios1931 Maryland. I don't own one, so can't speak to it, but from photos it always looked pretty attractive. They are a bit more pricey, creeping into custom-made territory at ~$50, and unfortunately only come in 24mm or 22mm.

WatchCraze

Post by WatchCraze »

peskydonut wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:28 pm Thank you, that's really helpful! 👍
Sure thing!

Another canvas strap that's been on my radar is the Rios1931 Maryland. I don't own one, so can't speak to it, but from photos it always looked pretty attractive. They are a bit more pricey, creeping into custom-made territory at ~$50, and unfortunately only come in 24mm or 22mm.

Would love these in 20mm. I have a Boldr field watch with a NATO that I've been wanting to switch out.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

If anyone is considering the Rios1931 Maryland straps, this would be a good time to pick them up at 35% off as part of Panatime's Cyber Week sale. They come to $32.49 instead of the usual $49.99.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

peskydonut wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:45 am If anyone is considering the Rios1931 Maryland straps, this would be a good time to pick them up at 35% off as part of Panatime's Cyber Week sale. They come to $32.49 instead of the usual $49.99.
No experience with the canvas, but I'm a big fan of Rios1931's leather straps. Superb value for money.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

cortman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 am
peskydonut wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:45 am If anyone is considering the Rios1931 Maryland straps, this would be a good time to pick them up at 35% off as part of Panatime's Cyber Week sale. They come to $32.49 instead of the usual $49.99.
No experience with the canvas, but I'm a big fan of Rios1931's leather straps. Superb value for money.

Looks like my only BF purchase is going to be a Rios leather strap from the Panatime sale.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:36 am

Looks like my only BF purchase is going to be a Rios leather strap from the Panatime sale.
I'm right there with you John.

I've been agonizing over which size to get for the last couple of days. Even with the discount they're a little too pricey for me to buy in various sizes. Then I suddenly remembered that they don't come in 20mm. Problem solved. I have "Stone Grey" and "Honey" coming my way.
Last edited by peskydonut on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

peskydonut wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:36 am

I'm right there with you John.

I've been agonizing over which size to get for the last couple of days. Even with the discount they're a too little pricey for me to buy in various sizes. Then I suddenly remembered that they don't come in 20mm. Problem solved. I have "Stone Grey" and "Honey" coming my way.

I picked up a19mm for my Tissot Chronometer.
Since I only seemed to have one 19mm in the strap box, figured best time to pick one up.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find