We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Post by yinzburgher »

Obviously they are trying to sell their own product but Strapcode has a write-up about FKM straps. It includes some history and some properties of the material. Scroll down past the part about quick-release spring bars.

Why you need to have at least one Quick-Release FKM Rubber watch strap in your collection
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:19 pm Obviously they are trying to sell their own product but Strapcode has a write-up about FKM straps. It includes some history and some properties of the material. Scroll down past the part about quick-release spring bars.

Why you need to have at least one Quick-Release FKM Rubber watch strap in your collection
And of course, they are charging an obscene price for the same strap others are selling. $49.99?!? :lol:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

VCheng wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:23 am Just a quick update. Got the blue strap from Aliexpress. The color is dark blue, darker than I expect. It is super soft, flexible and very smooth on the surface. A different feeling from an ordinary rubber strap. Not mounted on the watch yet, so based on first impression, I also highly recommend others to give a try for that little money.
I am just wearing the strap and found out that looks like the strap catches dust a bit.

And, I just found out that the new rubber strap model from CW is made of FKM. There is a blue one in 22mm and XS on sale now.
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

I just picked up on of these from Aliexpress. I will report on my thoughts when it arrives.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000623938469.html
Fluorine Strap.JPG
JasonY

Post by JasonY »

I am a big fan of these straps - I bought a couple at first to see if the length would be too long for my 6.5” wrist, and while I am using the last hole or second to last hole depending on the size of the watch case, they fit well and the quality is simply amazing considering the cost on Aliexpress. Granted it took them about 3 weeks to arrive, but immediately after I got the first two I ordered 6 more in different colors/sizes - they are that good! These are my “straps of the summer”, replacing natos on all my strap watches!

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I'm really blown away by these straps. So far they have been so comfortable and attractive. Here's my latest summer combo.

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Techme wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 am I just picked up on of these from Aliexpress. I will report on my thoughts when it arrives.

Fluorine Strap.JPG
My friend got these and he wasn't actually sure if they were fluoro or natural rubber

A pretty obvious sign of fluororubber straps is that due to the nature of the compound, it looks like the molding has to be extra sharp so you don't see molding marks in obvious areas, such as the buckle holes. They're typically very sharp and don't have remnants of the mold as you would see on silicone and natural rubber. Also they don't seem to reflect light as much, almost absorbing more of it.

I hope more fluoro variants do come out... The current available ones are a tad bit long for me, personally.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I really like these, and they are one of the only synthetic rubbery straps I’ve found that doesn’t react with my skin.

They fit, which is nice, but I can’t help wishing they were about 1/2 to 1 inch longer.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

Nsjong wrote:
Techme wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:15 am I just picked up on of these from Aliexpress. I will report on my thoughts when it arrives.

Fluorine Strap.JPG
My friend got these and he wasn't actually sure if they were fluoro or natural rubber

A pretty obvious sign of fluororubber straps is that due to the nature of the compound, it looks like the molding has to be extra sharp so you don't see molding marks in obvious areas, such as the buckle holes. They're typically very sharp and don't have remnants of the mold as you would see on silicone and natural rubber. Also they don't seem to reflect light as much, almost absorbing more of it.

I hope more fluoro variants do come out... The current available ones are a tad bit long for me, personally.
I hope they are FKM. There are multiple sellers on AliExpress and some on Alibaba that sell the identical strap and all label as Fluorine or fluororubber. They look very sharp in some of the seller photos and videos. Finger crossed they’re the real deal.
Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

Here are some other designs I've seen on Aliexpress:

#Aliexpress AU $22.04 37%OFF | fluororubber watchband 21mm 22mm Silicone Rubber bracelet for omega seiko longines rolex watches band brand sport watch strap
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSNyW3B
Screenshot_2020-07-13-20-53-04.png
This tropic style strap just sold out. I'm dubious if it is fluorine though. Juelong does sell them wholesale on Alibaba though as fluorine
Screenshot_2020-07-13-21-24-09.png
claus1100xx
MoT Member

Post by claus1100xx »

These are fantastic for the price. So cheap that you can play with various colors.

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Techme wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 am Here are some other designs I've seen on Aliexpress:

#Aliexpress AU $22.04 37%OFF | fluororubber watchband 21mm 22mm Silicone Rubber bracelet for omega seiko longines rolex watches band brand sport watch strap
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSNyW3B
Screenshot_2020-07-13-20-53-04.png

This tropic style strap just sold out. I'm dubious if it is fluorine though. Juelong does sell them wholesale on Alibaba though as fluorine
Screenshot_2020-07-13-21-24-09.png
The second one is 100% silicone, based on user pictures.
Apart from 23/21mm ones, these are also new FKM strap listings (you may find other, cheaper listings as time goes by):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000816612857.html

The listing has 2 styles, with longer lengths:
- perforated design that replicates classic Seiko/Citizen diver straps with additional perforations (can find cheaper in other listings)
- smooth surface, which is sold for MUCH higher on the San Martin store

There is also this oyster-style strap without the additional molding near lugs (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001264286606.html):
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best

Post by Split-Time »

claus1100xx wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm These are fantastic for the price. So cheap that you can play with various colors.

Looks great on the Seamaster! I now feel silly for being so cheap and only ordering one. It will take long enough to arrive. I should have tried at least 2-3.
claus1100xx
MoT Member

Post by claus1100xx »

Split-Time wrote:
claus1100xx wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm These are fantastic for the price. So cheap that you can play with various colors.

Looks great on the Seamaster! I now feel silly for being so cheap and only ordering one. It will take long enough to arrive. I should have tried at least 2-3.
Same here - I didn’t order a lot of them as I was nervous about the quality. I believe a sale is starting tomorrow so I’ll be stocking up.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I have bought a few of these, great straps at a great price.

Ordered a 23mm and received a 24.4mm. Couldn't make it fit, filed a claim and it ended up being free. Seller no longer has 21 & 23mm listed, which makes me wonder if this size is currently available. If someone gets one of these, please post here.

The width on these tend to run larger than stipulated, about .25mm or less which hasn't been a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk