We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best

Post by DogOnTime »

PetWatch wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:57 pm I have bought a few of these, great straps at a great price.

Ordered a 23mm and received a 24.4mm. Couldn't make it fit, filed a claim and it ended up being free. Seller no longer has 21 & 23mm listed, which makes me wonder if this size is currently available. If someone gets one of these, please post here.

The width on these tend to run larger than stipulated, about .25mm or less which hasn't been a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you're talking about the ones that everyone is posting, they do not. They come in 20, 22, and 24.
If you wanted a 23mm, this one is available (also in other listings). Only downside is that it has "fifty fathoms" on the underside (and may be more restricted to the buckles it comes with):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000350809929.html

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Nsjong wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:57 pm I have bought a few of these, great straps at a great price.

Ordered a 23mm and received a 24.4mm. Couldn't make it fit, filed a claim and it ended up being free. Seller no longer has 21 & 23mm listed, which makes me wonder if this size is currently available. If someone gets one of these, please post here.

The width on these tend to run larger than stipulated, about .25mm or less which hasn't been a problem.
If you're talking about the ones that everyone is posting, they do not. They come in 20, 22, and 24.
If you wanted a 23mm, this one is available (also in other listings). Only downside is that it has "fifty fathoms" on the underside (and may be more restricted to the buckles it comes with):

Thanks, first time I noticed different lengths. I know some had issue with the length. The 23mm I ordered was the oyster style. I'm noticing greater variety lately.

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

PetWatch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 pm
Nsjong wrote:

Thanks, first time I noticed different lengths. I know some had issue with the length. The 23mm I ordered was the oyster style. I'm noticing greater variety lately.

You have to be careful as many of the listings are not for actual fluororubber. Lost in translation or just description spam, there are way too many listings that misrepresent the product.

Feel free to post the one you got and I'm sure we'll be able to verify but the one I linked is the only valid 23mm at this time from my knowledge.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Nsjong wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm
PetWatch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 pm
Nsjong wrote:

You have to be careful as many of the listings are not for actual fluororubber. Lost in translation or just description spam, there are way too many listings that misrepresent the product.

Feel free to post the one you got and I'm sure we'll be able to verify but the one I linked is the only valid 23mm at this time from my knowledge.
You're right, many incorrect listings and sometimes product never arrives. On the plus side I have found Aliexpress's dispute resolution outstanding, and I've had my share of issues over the years.

This is the one I ordered, 21 and 23mm options have been removed. They are authentic fluorine rubber.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000030 ... 4c4dMppVc7

Strap1.jpeg

I have ordered some of these listed as Silicone and Fluorine Glue on the headline, detailed description further down accurately states fluorine rubber. I always try to look over the whole listing for any inconsistency.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000465 ... 4c4dMppVc7

strap.jpeg
househalfman
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Post by househalfman »

Nsjong wrote:A pretty obvious sign of fluororubber straps is that due to the nature of the compound, it looks like the molding has to be extra sharp so you don't see molding marks in obvious areas, such as the buckle holes.
Are these (bottom right of the pic below) the molding marks that you're taking about?

Techme
MoT Member

Post by Techme »

househalfman wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 am
Nsjong wrote:A pretty obvious sign of fluororubber straps is that due to the nature of the compound, it looks like the molding has to be extra sharp so you don't see molding marks in obvious areas, such as the buckle holes.
Are these (bottom right of the pic below) the molding marks that you're taking about?

I posted these earlier in the thread. I am fairly sure they are fluororubber. San Martin has them on their website marked as the FR, and they aren't known for being misleading.

https://sanmartinwatches.com/wp/product/f004/
SM FR.jpg
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

househalfman wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 am

Yes and no, I was more on the description of "messy" hanging rubber that's left when it's removed from a mold.

That honestly just looks like "natural" rubber or at best, vulcanized rubber, but without seeing more of the vibrant colours, it's hard to determine.
AndyS
MoT Member

Re: Fluoroelastomer Straps - IMO, the best "rubber" straps

Post by AndyS »

Just got mine in. Not sure what watch it will be worn on most, but it's definitely comfortable on this Momentum Flatline:
Flatline - Green Flouroelastomer Strap.jpg