"Perlon Strap Surprise Box" from WatchBandit

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
deckeda
MoT Member

"Perlon Strap Surprise Box" from WatchBandit

Post by deckeda »

from the HUISABH thread, http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php? ... 335#p49814

I ordered one pack of the 20mm size, to see if I might like perlon and to assist in my quest for one of my G Shocks to become a strap monster (it's the clean slate, all-black DW-5600BB.) I have JaysandKays 20mm metal adapters on it ... highly recommended despite the ~$36-ish price and slowish shipping.

As a few of you have already found out, these aren't the straps to "see" if you like perlon. The hardware could hardly be thinner. The fabric feels like plastic, but not soft plastic. The little part that pokes through the fabric to set your size struggles to poke through.

Even though these patterns/styles aren't ideal for a G Shock even under the best circumstances, I do sorta dig the casual vibe with them and the light weight is a good match to the 5600's. But I'll try to sell them because the one I'm wearing right now scratches me under the wrist. Where the fabric end is there they understandably had to either melt it or glue the end but it's coarse.

Only that hot pink one arrived in a plastic sleeve. I suppose I should have removed it for the photo, but really, who cares.
IMG_2474.jpg
IMG_2474.jpg (434.13 KiB) Viewed 9347 times
IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2475.JPG (310.33 KiB) Viewed 9347 times
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Re: "Perlon Strap Surprise Box" from WatchBandit

Post by Bbrou33 »

I too received mine today. I agree that the quality is poop but considering the price I'm ok with that.
Out of an the ones I've seen so far I feel I got the most lucky with colors. Haven't worn any yet but will throw one on soon to test out.
Even the pink and black I think may get some random love when I'm feeling pretty

Edit: Watch pic! Actually doesn't feel as bad on my wrist as I thought it would

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

Yeah the fact that some have a pattern to them I find interesting. "Normal" (one color) perlons haven't really interested me much. But I'm sure if I ever get a good one that could change.

So you don't feel a hard edge scratching the underside of your wrist? Right where the buckle is.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

deckeda wrote:Yeah the fact that some have a pattern to them I find interesting. "Normal" (one color) perlons haven't really interested me much. But I'm sure if I ever get a good one that could change.

So you don't feel a hard edge scratching the underside of your wrist? Right where the buckle is.
On the black and white I didn't. I'm now wearing the red and white and if my wrist is in a certain position I can feel something but isn't much. I'll try the other colors over the next few days. Maybe it's just the size of my wrist because with my finger sliding along the inside I can feel the area you are talking about.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Sal T Dog
MoT Member

Post by Sal T Dog »

I too received my 20mm and 22mm five-packs. Not really down with the argyle, but one (back and grey) is serviceable for my recently-received $99 auto Promaster.

I also received a red and black version (my alma mater's colors) in 20mm, and a royal blue 22mm that *might* look good on my STO turtle (though probably not as good as the Uncle Seiko rubber strap on which it currently lives).

The remaining seven straps might as well be extruded Skittles.

Re: the quality, they're 'okay,' but not IMO as bad as some are claiming. For instance, there is not a single buckle with rough finishing let alone one that I think could create lacerations, even under significant pressure. Thin, stamped buckles? Sure. But so are Eulit buckles. These are not the same quality as my (lone) Eulit perlon strap, but for $1.90/strap delivered, I'm not going to complain.

Now the colors on the other hand...
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

Mine were waiting for me when I came home today.

18mm
perlon - 1.jpg

20mm
perlon - 2.jpg
22mm
perlon - 3.jpg
I figure I got what I paid for, and I didn't think the buckles were all that much worse than the ones I've gotten from Clockwork Synergy or Cheapest NATO Straps. I don't have much use for the purple, pink, white and yellows, so I'm about to find out if I can dye them black.
riggle

Post by riggle »

Hey all,

My wife would be happy take a few of those whites, yellows, pinks, and purples (particularly at 20mm) off your hands. We'd be happy to venmo a couple dollars for your troubles. Please PM me if interested. Thanks!
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

riggle wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:06 pm Hey all,

My wife would be happy take a few of those whites, yellows, pinks, and purples (particularly at 20mm) off your hands. We'd be happy to venmo a couple dollars for your troubles. Please PM me if interested. Thanks!
I sent you a PM.
aeroman5
MoT Member

Post by aeroman5 »

Mine finally arrived today in Hong Kong. I think I got a bit lucky with colours, but like most, I'm disappointed with the quality. I'll maybe use them on my lower cost watches.
18mm
IMG_20200215_230105.jpg
20mm
IMG_20200215_230111.jpg
22mm
IMG_20200215_230114__01.jpg
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

The yellow, white, pink and purples (except for a 20mm purple I’m saving for @riggle for his wife if he ever contacts me) were given a bath in a hot black RIT dye solution on the stovetop for about five minutes, then rinsed a few times and allowed to dry. All are now essentially black or some shade of very deep navy now, except one that has a vaguely greenish hue.

It would appear for less than $2 for a box of dye you don’t have to be satisfied with the colors you received. Black does pretty much go with everything.
758D0A55-9F60-4BAA-96B2-501B57E5CA63.jpeg