We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Recommend a deployant for a leather strap?

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
deckeda
MoT Member

Recommend a deployant for a leather strap?

Post by deckeda »

An in-coming strap is an odd size, 17mm width. Would a commonly available 18mm deployant fit OK without looking weird? Also, for this exercise gold is preferred. I'm seeing prices from about $11-$39, because I'm totally ignoring anything higher.
cortman
MoT Member

Re: Recommend a deployant for a leather strap?

Post by cortman »

One of these came on a watch I bought used. I liked it enough that I messaged the guy I bought it from and asked him where he got it. Seems quite nice especially for the price.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Unfortunately I don't have an actual recommendation for a deployant. However, I recommend that you don't make the same mistake I once made. Buying a deployant based on the strap width rather than the width that the strap tapers down to at the end.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 am Unfortunately I don't have an actual recommendation for a deployant. However, I recommend that you don't make the same mistake I once made. Buying a deployant based on the strap width rather than the width that the strap tapers down to at the end.
This is good advice...more than one of us have made that mistake...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

I’ll wait until the strap comes in and measure it first. And for the price I’ll likely try that iStrap on Amazon, thanks.
Barry S.
MoT Member

Post by Barry S. »

deckeda wrote:I’ll wait until the strap comes in and measure it first. And for the price I’ll likely try that iStrap on Amazon, thanks.
Make sure to measure the thickness of the strap as well. The iStrap's max is 3.5mm. This pricier Hadley Roma will accommodate 5mm.

https://www.holbensfinewatchbands.com/h ... lasp-gold/
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Figured I'd resurrect this old deployant / deployment clasp thread instead of starting a new one. Earlier this year I bought several of the iStrap clasps off Amazon, which appears to be what [mention]cortman[/mention] was referencing above, as I wanted them on my cordovan straps to help prevent wear. I've been very happy with them so far and would definitely recommend for $11. However, remember that wrist shape is very important with these types of clasps -- the back of my wrist is relatively flat, and there are places where the curve of this clasp fits it perfectly. Those with a rounder wrist may not have as good a fit.