As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Anybody re size the Electric California Bracelets?

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am checking to see if anyone has gotten one of those Electric California bracelets and was about to remove any links. It appears to be pin and collar, but there is no solid end of the pin, so I don’t know which way to push. I tried both ways and they give roughly equally.
5C7B5C2C-778F-42A1-9010-8A82B98D0772.jpeg
5C7B5C2C-778F-42A1-9010-8A82B98D0772.jpeg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
0D2FF6A3-1C29-4E67-902C-A23F56A0E2B5.jpeg
0D2FF6A3-1C29-4E67-902C-A23F56A0E2B5.jpeg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Any thoughts?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Anybody re size the Electric California Bracelets?

Post by Sporkboy »

Sporkboy wrote:I am checking to see if anyone has gotten one of those Electric California bracelets and was about to remove any links. It appears to be pin and collar, but there is no solid end of the pin, so I don’t know which way to push. I tried both ways and they give roughly equally.
5C7B5C2C-778F-42A1-9010-8A82B98D0772.jpeg
0D2FF6A3-1C29-4E67-902C-A23F56A0E2B5.jpeg
Any thoughts?
I heard back from the manufacturer and they said they use the CAPSA system. I should be able to crack that soon once my tool is done cooling.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Sporkboy wrote:I am checking to see if anyone has gotten one of those Electric California bracelets and was about to remove any links. It appears to be pin and collar, but there is no solid end of the pin, so I don’t know which way to push. I tried both ways and they give roughly equally.
5C7B5C2C-778F-42A1-9010-8A82B98D0772.jpeg0D2FF6A3-1C29-4E67-902C-A23F56A0E2B5.jpeg
Any thoughts?
I heard back from the manufacturer and they said they use the CAPSA system. I should be able to crack that soon once my tool is done cooling.
Can you dumb that down for me?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:30 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm
5C7B5C2C-778F-42A1-9010-8A82B98D0772.jpeg0D2FF6A3-1C29-4E67-902C-A23F56A0E2B5.jpeg
Any thoughts?
Can you dumb that down for me?

Let me try...
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

That is about it. I had a straight pin that I had clipped and trimmed that is a little smaller than the pin part. Then I melted some easy melt plastic to make a handle that I could hammer. It worked OK until the pin bent.

I was letting the the plastic cool.
Klaatu3
MoT Member

Post by Klaatu3 »

Maybe I'm slow, but I'm still not clear what the answer is to OP's question. Would appreciate any insight on how to resize, since I just broke down (bloody 50% off coupon) and ordered an Officer watch w/ bracelet.

Cheers
- Klaatu3

"I don't have time to set all these &%#* watches!"
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Klaatu3 wrote:Maybe I'm slow, but I'm still not clear what the answer is to OP's question. Would appreciate any insight on how to resize, since I just broke down (bloody 50% off coupon) and ordered an Officer watch w/ bracelet.

Cheers
I will respond soon when I have a little time. In theory I know how to do it.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, this bracelet uses the CAPSA system, which is a pin and collar system. While most pin and collar systems have a pin with a captive end, the CAPSA system doesn’t have those. That means you can push out the pin from either direction.

The down side is that the collars are tiny and are become loose during this process. I have one collar MIA at the moment.

Pin Removal
To remove a pin you need a pin pusher or a pin and hammer along with a bracelet holder. You will need a tiny pin for this. All of mine were too big so I had a straight pin that had the end clipped. I reinforced the pin and left just a little sticking out. Center the pin within the collar and either use a pin pusher or hammer to pop it out. The collar on the bottom will hold tight, the the one at the top will come loose, so be careful with it. Maybe covering it with tape prior to pushing will help.

Pin Replacement
When you set in the loose collar, a ball point pen is useful for pushing it in most of the way. You can then push it home with a pin pusher that is the same size as the collar.

I hope that is helpful. I bent my pin tool, so I haven’t finished the process yet.