We're Moving!

Click for more info.

In Soviet Russia, watch get new strap for you

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
cortman
MoT Member

In Soviet Russia, watch get new strap for you

Post by cortman »

Pardon the title but it's kind of the truth! Upon purchase of my one and only real grail watch, the Fortis Official Cosmonauts Chronograph, our own [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] messaged me with an offer I couldn't turn down. He happened to have lying around an old Vostok bund strap made of the finest pre-glasnost leather the Motherland could offer. He generously offered to send it my way free of charge as it would pair well, in spirit anyway, with the Fortis- the Fortis being the official watch of the Russian space agency, ROSCOSMOS.
It arrived the other day, and after a quick cleaning and oiling, it's on the watch and looking dope.

Now you are probably asking yourself- "wait, is that a small acrylic decorative button festooned with the image of famous Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin?" The answer is da, comrade!

In spite of the mismatched lug width, I honestly think this thing looks super cool! It really has a rugged no nonsense look to it, and the Gagarin button gives it just enough kitsch to keep your heels on the ground and your mind free of counter-revolutionary thoughts.

All kidding aside, thanks a lot to [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] for the strap and MOT keychain. Here's a wrist shot to finish up.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: In Soviet Russia, watch get new strap for you

Post by TheJohnP »

Those go together like a hammer and sickle!
Nice combo [mention]cortman[/mention]
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Wow, [mention]cortman[/mention]. That looks far better than I could have imagined. You did a great job of cleaning that up and photographing it. I just wish that it was a better strap, but it does have a lot of ‘appropriateness’ given the Russian space connection.

You might consider looking for a nicer bund strap as it looks quite nice on it despite the lug issue and the bind part being undersized for the watch.

I am thrilled that this strap has a new home with someone that can appreciate it for what it is and pair it with a very appropriate watch. Congrats on your grail, it looks amazing.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

This is awesome [mention]cortman[/mention] and [mention]Sporkboy[/mention]! The exposed springbars actually look fitting and cool. And I'm not just saying that...you know it to be true!
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm This is awesome @cortman and @Sporkboy! The exposed springbars actually look fitting and cool. And I'm not just saying that...you know it to be true!
I actually do agree with you- that's something you see a lot more on old tool watches. It really does fit. Thank you!