Altoids Tin Springbar Kits- Join the Waiting List

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Altoids Tin Springbar Kits- Join the Waiting List

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you for tour comments [mention]Split-Time[/mention]. I still haven’t been able to crack the nut on labeling, but it is something that I have thought about a lot. I could try printing numbers on that vertical surface, but those don’t usually work well because of overhang issues. I could pretty easily print numbers in the bottom of the bins, but they would be hidden once you put springbars in.
Split-Time wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm My springbar situation was a mess. They were loose and everywhere and I didn’t know what I had or where. This well thought out little gem has improved my mood :lol:.

@Sporkboy asked for a critique, but I’m so happy with it that all I could think was to label the bins. I didn’t do a great job with that, so keep in mind that is on me and not Sporkboy. The labels are easy enough to peel off.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Could you print a blank square in each bin where you'd put the sticker later? That way the stickers are even
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:34 pm Could you print a blank square in each bin where you'd put the sticker later? That way the stickers are even
That is a thought. I could likely do a 3 sided frame for each bin for a future version. I will have to play with this idea. Thank you.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:34 pm Could you print a blank square in each bin where you'd put the sticker later? That way the stickers are even
After further review, if I had aligned the top of each label (realizing that the white label extends beyond the printed boarder) that would have helped the alignment. I don't have huge fingers but was tying to seat each label with the end of a finger while holding it with the included tweezers...and the bins were a tight fit for my finger.

Personally, I am OK knowing that my bins start at 18mm after the sample bars and go to 21mm. If I had used two pair of tweezers the results could have been better. Please do not let my hastiness detract from the thoughtfulness of this design.
jfield
MoT Member

Post by jfield »

That looks great, please put me down for a kit as well - can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

jfield wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:19 am That looks great, please put me down for a kit as well - can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
You are on the wait list (even though you can’t wait);)
CDR_E
MoT Member

Post by CDR_E »

Sporkboy, please put me down for a full kit as well! Thank you so much for doing this for us, much appreciated!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

[mention]CDR_E[/mention] you are on the list.

Thank you everyone for your interest. I will place an order knowing I won’t be stuck with several lifetime supplies of springbars. There will be enough for everyone that has shown interest so far and enough to put together some more kits as well.

If anyone else is interested, post a message and you can be added to the wait list. Once the waitlist is fulfilled, I will make any remaining kits available for sale, so you could always wait for that. Honestly, just get on the list if you are interested as I am not asking for advanced payment or anything.

Thank you once again, the response has been greater than I anticipated, which is really nice.
pdsf
MoT Member

Re: Altoids Tin Springbar Kits- Are You Interested?

Post by pdsf »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am @Stretch44 and @Landed_Alien are on the list. Thank you.

I do make stuff to solve problems, it’s kinda my jam.
oooh if only you could make stuff to solve my life problems!!

Can you put me down for a $15 kit please! :)
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Altoids Tin Springbar Kits- Are You Interested?

Post by Sporkboy »

pdsf wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 am
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am @Stretch44 and @Landed_Alien are on the list. Thank you.

I do make stuff to solve problems, it’s kinda my jam.
oooh if only you could make stuff to solve my life problems!!

Can you put me down for a $15 kit please! :)
I have a feeling that your life problems are as complicated as mine and can’t be solved by a cleverly shaped piece of plastic.

You are on the list for a basic kit.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Just a quick update. I didn’t get to packing this weekend, but I have 6 packages that can be sent out once they are all buttoned up.

I ordered springbars, so once those arrive I will be able to clear the waiting list!

If you have something that is being packed then I will have contacted you for your address.

Being packed this week
Full Kit- [mention]tinpusher[/mention], @robbiebirnie, [mention]yinzburgher[/mention]
Basic Kit- [mention]AstroLaw[/mention], [mention]recapt[/mention], [mention]pdsf[/mention]

Thanks your your support.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Thanks! PM sent. Your breath is gonna being minty fresh and "Curiously Strong" after sucking down all the Altoids required for this production run. I'm more of a Binaca guy, but my understanding is that your beta testing of spring bars in a spray can didn't go quite as well.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Slight hiccup on the kits. I was seeing some minor spring bar migration happening when the ranger. And was on and the tin was violently shaken. This did not meet the Sporkboy Quality Standard, so I investigated. The small cutouts on the top allowed just enough clearance for a rogue springbar to hop bins.

The fix was simple enough, I bent down the lid ever so slightly at the points where the gaps were. They now handle violent upside down shaking and should survive the US postal service.

[mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is sending me some stickers to include, so it looks like I will be ready to ship next week. I apologize for the delay, but I would rather things be done better than faster.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:22 am Slight hiccup on the kits. I was seeing some minor spring bar migration happening when the ranger. And was on and the tin was violently shaken. This did not meet the Sporkboy Quality Standard, so I investigated. The small cutouts on the top allowed just enough clearance for a rogue springbar to hop bins.

The fix was simple enough, I bent down the lid ever so slightly at the points where the gaps were. They now handle violent upside down shaking and should survive the US postal service.

@ManOnTime is sending me some stickers to include, so it looks like I will be ready to ship next week. I apologize for the delay, but I would rather things be done better than faster.
What delay?! :) Thank you so much for making such a minty fresh and cool item!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

pdsf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 am
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:22 am Slight hiccup on the kits. I was seeing some minor spring bar migration happening when the ranger. And was on and the tin was violently shaken. This did not meet the Sporkboy Quality Standard, so I investigated. The small cutouts on the top allowed just enough clearance for a rogue springbar to hop bins.

@ManOnTime is sending me some stickers to include, so it looks like I will be ready to ship next week. I apologize for the delay, but I would rather things be done better than faster.
What delay?! :) Thank you so much for making such a minty fresh and cool item!
Thanks. I just hope they meet expectations. Some of you already have Sporkboy merch, and repeat patrons are appreciated. I just don’t want anyone to be disappointed. I guess those are just general insecurities popping up.