We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Nato Strap -> G-Shock Square Mod

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Nato Strap -> G-Shock Square Mod

Post by BostonCharlie »

I'm really happy to get this watch off my desk and onto my wrist. The strap I used is a 22mm Ague that turned out to not match my Blue Lagoon Samurai (darn it). Later I think this turned into a case of trying to find a watch for a strap -- I was inspired by this pairing here by Dub Rubb.

As you can see in the photo, I took the back loop off the nato and trimmed a section down to 16mm. It took me three tries to get the right length for the 16mm section -- I'll measure this and add it here when I have a chance. I guess it wasn't really necessary to remove that back loop piece, but I'm not missing it. And I did need something to experiment on with my tools before starting on the strap.

Some things that worked for me:
  • The same blade I used for my leather strap mod worked best for this job. After a cut do not pull any of the loose bits -- it will just run and make things worse. Instead, try to chop off the bits with the blade. What's left will just curl up when you flame the edges.
  • I used a wand lighter to flame the edges -- this worked better than I expected. I practiced on the nato's back loop that I cut off, first -- cut, cut, flame. If the flame left clumps of melted material, I used the blade to chop it down and then flamed some more.
  • I didn't use the 2mm stock fat springbars that came with the watch. I used some smaller (1.5mm?) bars I had in my parts box. I think this helped.
  • I removed the bezel to attach the strap -- I think this was a big help, too.
Updated to add:
  • After cutting off the nato's back loop piece I didn't flame the cut edge to make sure it wouldn't be rough on my wrist.
  • G-Shock springbars: the bars don't just snap into the lug holes. After it catches you need to push it all the way in with the tool. Check both sides of the bar closely when you're done. This was true for my other Gs, too, using their stock bars.
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
(update: re-uploaded photos due to old corruption)
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Nato Strap -> G-Shock Square Mod

Post by Sporkboy »

That looks great. I am going to look into 3D printing some adapters for my 5600. I will need to start a 3D printing and watches thread as I have a few things that I think would be of general interest.

I will also attempt to try and print a ‘convertable’ adapter, though that one will be a bit tricky.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Fantastic job...looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the process. I have a vintage Junghans with 15mm fixed lugs and have been looking at cutting down a 16mm nato...now I will try it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 am That looks great. I am going to look into 3D printing some adapters for my 5600. I will need to start a 3D printing and watches thread as I have a few things that I think would be of general interest.

I will also attempt to try and print a ‘convertable’ adapter, though that one will be a bit tricky.
If you get these going, I'd be interested in a set.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

FTE wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:04 am Fantastic job...looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the process. I have a vintage Junghans with 15mm fixed lugs and have been looking at cutting down a 16mm nato...now I will try it.
Thanks! The weave on mine made it easy to make long, straight cuts with my blade. Hopefully yours is the same, as it would help with making such narrow cuts as you require. I first tried scissors of different kinds, but that was much harder and messier.

To figure out where to start the cut, I put on a watch/nato and reckoned the length from the buckle loop to the watch's top lug. I figured that was where I wanted the G's top lug to end up.

This nato is pretty stout, which might have made it more resistant to the flame. I was afraid the fibers would be ruined as soon as the flame neared, but they stood up to it. In fact I had to run the flame back and forth a number of times to make sure it sealed the edge.

Good luck to you!
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 am That looks great. I am going to look into 3D printing some adapters for my 5600. I will need to start a 3D printing and watches thread as I have a few things that I think would be of general interest.

If you get these going, I'd be interested in a set.
I thought that might be the case. I am not sure that I can fully trust the strength due to the way the layer lines fall. Strength one way makes weakness another...unless I print diagonally or figure out how to use some better materials. Anyway, I will keep the group posted.