We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Nato Strap -> Casio F-91W Mod

Discussion area for watch straps, boxes, winders and other accessories.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Nato Strap -> Casio F-91W Mod

Post by BostonCharlie »

The Casio F-91W is a lot of fun. Putting it on a nato makes it fun^2. The strap is a 20mm Ague which picks up the Casio's colors really well. I bought my F-91W from shopemco on eBay for $10 and it passed the CASIo authenticity test. They can occasionally be found for less.

The pins that hold the Casio's stock strap aren't spring bars. Look in the lug holes to see which side has the smaller end of the pins. I pushed the pins out by using a large unfolded paperclip and a pair of large pliers -- I pushed on this smaller end from the outside of the lug. Once you overcome the initial resistance the pin slips right out.

I made my nato adapters by fooling around with a couple small paperclips. My tools were a couple pairs of small needle-nose pliers. I trimmed the excess using small wire cutters. You can make out the design in the photo below. I wouldn't be surprised if a hard knock on the (now more prominent) case sent it clattering to the ground -- this isn't G-Shock country.

The open space between the lugs isn't visually appealing on wrist. Maybe if I sanded the hard edge off that lip it would look more natural. UPDATE: My next post describes my fix (and includes more adapter photos).

IMG_3103.1.JPG
IMG_3105.1.JPG
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Nato Strap -> Casio F-91W Mod

Post by BostonCharlie »

I had a bright idea for how to easily fill that gap between the lugs: fill it with the strap end. I cut off the bit of stock strap made to fit in there and then carved a little slot on each end for the adapter. The adapters don't swivel much once they're on the strap, so I figured that the bit that wasn't carved out would keep it in place. We'll see how that works out ;-) The slots are cut so that the long, cut face of the strap end faces the back of the lug cavity (as opposed to the top or bottom) when the adapter is oriented downward -- like when it's on the nato.

The straps were harder to cut than I expected. It helped to get a fresh blade.

In this shot you can see that I almost left too much material on the strap. Neither of my long cuts went quite as I expected -- the rubber is balky.

IMG_3112.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3115.JPG
IMG_3117.JPG
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Good work on this. As popular as this watch is, I figured that there would be a 3D printed adapter for this model, but I couldn’t find one. I did see models for a pocket clip, desk clock, pen holder and a prototype hunting case pocket watch. A NATO adapter is long overdue. I will add this to my list.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 384940.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 710b11.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 24c79f.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 3f243a.jpg[/IMG]
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Sporkboy wrote:Good work on this. As popular as this watch is, I figured that there would be a 3D printed adapter for this model, but I couldn’t find one. I did see models for a pocket clip, desk clock, pen holder and a prototype hunting case pocket watch. A NATO adapter is long overdue. I will add this to my list.
Thanks for posting. I actually ordered one of those desk clock stands after someone posted a good F-91w deal here on the forums. I’m digging it!