We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Punching holes in a leather strap: tools and techniques?

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Punching holes in a leather strap: tools and techniques?

Post by BostonCharlie »

I see so many tools on Amazon on eBay for punching leather, and I'm sure so many of their reviews are fake. Help!

I would appreciate hearing any tips you have for adding holes to leather straps. Thank you!
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Punching holes in a leather strap: tools and techniques?

Post by TheJohnP »

Paging [mention]tennesseean_87[/mention]
This is in your wheelhouse!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I use a hollow punch that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.44.43 PM.png
The actual set I have is no longer available, but has .8mm, 1mm, 1.5mm, and 2mm punches. They have successfully put holes in many straps. Not quite as clean as the original holes, but I've had no problems with fraying or tearing. The downside is that the removed leather gets stuck in the hollow part of the punch and can be difficult to remove. You'll also need a sacrificial board to put under the strap. Punching enough to get through the leather will leave a decent divot in whatever surface is behind the strap. I don't have any experience with the rotary style punches.

Edited to add a photo. The top hole is the one I punched.
PXL_20201130_215106311.jpg
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

You don’t need to buy a dedicated punch if you own a drill. Drilling holes works just as well as punching them, maybe even better. Whenever I make a knife sheath or holster I drill the holes for the stitching rather than use a punch or awl.
lightspire

Post by lightspire »

Great thread - I'm interested as well in what tools others might recommend to ad a hole to an existing 3rd party strap.

Does anyone have suggestion or photo of the what the different punch sizes are like between 1, 1.5, 2mm? I'm trying to get an idea of what a standard punch size might be compared to what for example what a Hirsch strap hole size might be.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Wonder if [mention]trinhlemai[/mention] may be able to provide some suggestions on what she uses?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

lightspire wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:53 pm Great thread - I'm interested as well in what tools others might recommend to ad a hole to an existing 3rd party strap.

Does anyone have suggestion or photo of the what the different punch sizes are like between 1, 1.5, 2mm? I'm trying to get an idea of what a standard punch size might be compared to what for example what a Hirsch strap hole size might be.
Here are holes made with 1, 1.5, and 2mm punches in a cheap faux-leather strap. The 2mm punched hole is at the bottom. The pre-made holes in the strap measure 2mm. Disregard the fourth hole from the bottom. I was a little overzealous with the hammer.
PXL_20201226_190211351.jpg
In the interest of experimentation, I tried [mention]Elkins45[/mention]'s suggestion with a 5/64 drill bit. I'm a convert. Much cleaner than my punches. The drilled hole is at the top in this photo:
PXL_20201226_190216269.jpg
Drilling solves the divot problem with the punches, but still not quite as clean as the originals. Looking forward to hearing what the pro strap makers use.
trinhlemai
Brand Rep

Post by trinhlemai »

Hello all!

I'm happy to share a bit of my knowledge.

With cheap tools (like the picture of [mention]Sussa[/mention] shared) their sharpness is poor.
So if you do not have experience in handling, the perforations will not be beautiful.

I think for the needs of non-professional use like strap maker-like me, you can refer to tools that cost from 5 USD and Archie brand is also a good suggestion.
If you want to experience more precision and professionalism, you can refer to the tool of famous brands such as KS - which I am using.

About the size of the holes, it depends on the size and shape of the tang/pin part of the buckle.
For me, I usually use a 2 mm tool for round holes.

Please feel free if y'all have any question :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

trinhlemai wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:44 am Hello all!

With cheap tools (like the picture of @Sussa shared) their sharpness is poor.
So if you do not have experience in handling, the perforations will not be beautiful.

I think for the needs of non-professional use like strap maker-like me, you can refer to tools that cost from 5 USD and Archie brand is also a good suggestion.
If you want to experience more precision and professionalism, you can refer to the tool of famous brands such as KS - which I am using.

About the size of the holes, it depends on the size and shape of the tang/pin part of the buckle.

This advice gels completely with my own experience...using the cheap punches has rarely yielded what I would consider a passable hole. The other issue for me has been alignment, with the new hole slightly off centerline from the factory ones....any advice for this? It sucks b/c you cannot unsee it (or undo it) once it happens. How to get evenly spaced, aligned holes?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Thank you [mention]trinhlemai[/mention] for your help! To save ppl like me from having to google it, this appears to be KS' site:

https://ksbladepunch.com/

For $33 you can buy a single hole brass punch:
https://ksbladepunch.com/product/single ... unch-brass

Or you could invest in a single-hole strap punch that is $120 + $15 for each bit:
https://ksbladepunch.com/product/watch-strap-punch

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Here is our experience with a 2mm punch from this $11 set (Owden brand) on Amazon (mallet not included, lol):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZFF143H/
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
7.jpg
Two new holes in a pigskin strap:
9.jpg
10.jpg
lightspire

Post by lightspire »

Thank you! These photos and links are very helpful.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Looking at the photos again, I wonder if it would work better to punch from the back instead of the front?
trinhlemai
Brand Rep

Post by trinhlemai »

watchpalooza wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:08 am

This advice gels completely with my own experience...using the cheap punches has rarely yielded what I would consider a passable hole. The other issue for me has been alignment, with the new hole slightly off centerline from the factory ones....any advice for this? It sucks b/c you cannot unsee it (or undo it) once it happens. How to get evenly spaced, aligned holes?
In the case for the holes to align, you can predetermine the position of the holes by marking a small, fuzzy spot on the strap, then you need to correct the positions if they are not already aligned.
Or you can make a paper pattern of strap and of course, have holes on the paper pattern. Then, you lay a paper pattern on the strap and the strap based on the paper pattern.

I hope this ways can help :)
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

trinhlemai wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:08 am
watchpalooza wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:08 am

In the case for the holes to align, you can predetermine the position of the holes by marking a small, fuzzy spot on the strap, then you need to correct the positions if they are not already aligned.
Or you can make a paper pattern of strap and of course, have holes on the paper pattern. Then, you lay a paper pattern on the strap and the strap based on the paper pattern.

I hope this ways can help :)
Thank you - that makes complete sense, yet somehow I never thought to do it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr