We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Jaxa Wrench?

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Jaxa Wrench?

Post by BostonCharlie »

I tried a screwball, but the back of my DW-9600 hasn't budged. My next thought is to get a better tool for unscrewing the back of a watch, like a jaxa wrench. And I suppose I would also need a case holder.

I see the $180 Bergeon and the $85 LG and then cheap jaxa wrenches that go all the way to under $10.

What do y'all use?

Here is the patient:
IMG_3056.JPG
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Jaxa Wrench?

Post by TheJohnP »

I would probably rub some WD40 around the edge and try again with the screwball.
Find less chance of any inadvertent scratching.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

I have the cheap version, and it can be hard to set the prongs exactly. There's a lot of potential for scratching the case if they're not right. If they *are* right, then it's super easy to screw the case back off and on.

I'm sure the name brand tools are better but $85 is just too much $$$ in my book.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I use one like this with a little bit of Scotch tape on the prongs. Haven't scratched a case back yet.

https://ebay.to/2DUNAEU
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have one of these 3 pronged wrenches and did scratch up one caseback. You have to be deliberate and take your time. If you are in a rush, just don’t do it.

I have seen some designs for 3D printed removal tools, but these are back specific. It is fine if you have a couple of watches or if you have somehow shandardized the casebacks in your collection (a bunch of Seikos). They would be plastic, so no chance of scratches.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... fc1f0b.jpg[/IMG]
I also found a printable case for the Jaxa-style tool, which looks pretty awesome.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... b9b1a8.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I have been moving forward on this. I love the model-specific 3-D printed solution, but I am not patient enough :-)

I went in for one of the tools MoT suggested. I figured: yes, it is cheaply made, but among the cheap alternatives available to me its simplicity is an advantage. My judgment was rewarded when, after it arrived today, I realized it needed lock washers to keep the d***ned screw tops from coming loose. Home Depot had me covered for under $1:
IMG_3088.JPG
UPDATE: Just a follow-up. While trying to open the watch, my tool, above, broke near the end (away from the handle) where the curve connects to the straight piece. In retrospect I wasn't smart about it: I had put one of the two pins at the very end. I should have guessed that it would be weak there. Anyhow, the G-Shock won round 1.

The seller was apologetic, offered to replace the tool, but agreed to refund my purchase. At the hardware store I picked up some adhesive and a couple tiny hose clamps. I just wanted the adhesive to hold the break together so it didn't move around. I put a hose clamp over each curved section to provide support. Here is the result:
IMG_3097.JPG
I confess that I enjoy trying to do the most I can with the little I have. So, yes, I used a big pipe wrench as a makeshift bench vice. Over time I do look forward to owning more suitable tools. I wish I could say I didn't scratch the case back -- I should have used MoT's tape. :-) I was feeling impatient, which as noted above, is bad. I used the tape before and I think it made the pins less slippery as well as less scratchy. Onward and upward.