As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Jaxa Wrench?

Discussion area for watch books, tools and other related items.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Jaxa Wrench?

Post by BostonCharlie »

I tried a screwball, but the back of my DW-9600 hasn't budged. My next thought is to get a better tool for unscrewing the back of a watch, like a jaxa wrench. And I suppose I would also need a case holder.

I see the $180 Bergeon and the $85 LG and then cheap jaxa wrenches that go all the way to under $10.

What do y'all use?

Here is the patient:
IMG_3056.JPG
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Jaxa Wrench?

Post by TheJohnP »

I would probably rub some WD40 around the edge and try again with the screwball.
Find less chance of any inadvertent scratching.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

I have the cheap version, and it can be hard to set the prongs exactly. There's a lot of potential for scratching the case if they're not right. If they *are* right, then it's super easy to screw the case back off and on.

I'm sure the name brand tools are better but $85 is just too much $$$ in my book.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I use one like this with a little bit of Scotch tape on the prongs. Haven't scratched a case back yet.

https://ebay.to/2DUNAEU
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I have one of these 3 pronged wrenches and did scratch up one caseback. You have to be deliberate and take your time. If you are in a rush, just don’t do it.

I have seen some designs for 3D printed removal tools, but these are back specific. It is fine if you have a couple of watches or if you have somehow shandardized the casebacks in your collection (a bunch of Seikos). They would be plastic, so no chance of scratches.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... fc1f0b.jpg[/IMG]
I also found a printable case for the Jaxa-style tool, which looks pretty awesome.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... b9b1a8.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I have been moving forward on this. I love the model-specific 3-D printed solution, but I am not patient enough :-)

I went in for one of the tools MoT suggested. I figured: yes, it is cheaply made, but among the cheap alternatives available to me its simplicity is an advantage. My judgment was rewarded when, after it arrived today, I realized it needed lock washers to keep the d***ned screw tops from coming loose. Home Depot had me covered for under $1:
IMG_3088.JPG
UPDATE: Just a follow-up. While trying to open the watch, my tool, above, broke near the end (away from the handle) where the curve connects to the straight piece. In retrospect I wasn't smart about it: I had put one of the two pins at the very end. I should have guessed that it would be weak there. Anyhow, the G-Shock won round 1.

The seller was apologetic, offered to replace the tool, but agreed to refund my purchase. At the hardware store I picked up some adhesive and a couple tiny hose clamps. I just wanted the adhesive to hold the break together so it didn't move around. I put a hose clamp over each curved section to provide support. Here is the result:
IMG_3097.JPG
I confess that I enjoy trying to do the most I can with the little I have. So, yes, I used a big pipe wrench as a makeshift bench vice. Over time I do look forward to owning more suitable tools. I wish I could say I didn't scratch the case back -- I should have used MoT's tape. :-) I was feeling impatient, which as noted above, is bad. I used the tape before and I think it made the pins less slippery as well as less scratchy. Onward and upward.