We're Moving!

Click for more info.

UNSUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

UNSUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

Post by TheJohnP »

As mentioned by [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] below, Mercer has taken to Kickstarter to relaunch preorders of the Nomad GMT.

Here's the current link. However, the first two early bird tiers have sold through.

Original brand direct campaign info below:

Found by [mention]cairoanan[/mention]

Mercer Watch Co has opened preorders on their upcoming Nomad GMT automatic.

https://www.mercergoods.com/products/no ... 9933150305

Preorder price is $599
Retail price is $799

*THE FIRST 20 ORDERS WILL ALSO RECEIVE A LIMITED EDITION MERCER GOODS TEE SHIRT IN EITHER COFFEE OR SKY BLUE.*

Estimated delivery is February 2020

Available with a Polar White or Charcoal dial.

THE NOMAD HAS BEEN SLIGHTLY REDESIGNED, WITH A LARGER BEZEL, SMALLER DIAL AND LONGER HANDS. RENDERING BELOW IS ACCURATE; OTHER PICTURES ARE OF ORIGINAL PROTOTYPES.

updated_design_of_nomad_1000x.jpg
GFX03480_1000x.jpg
GFX03484_1000x.jpg
IMG_0064_1000x.jpg

FEATURES INCLUDE:
* 41mm 316L stainless steel case; 11mm thick
* Fixed 24 hour bezel
* Flat high-top sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
* Soprod C125 automatic; independent GMT hand
* Matte dial with SuperLuminova BG W9
* Embossed case back
* Embossed screw down crown
* 100 meter water resistance
* 2 year limited warranty
* 316L oyster bracelet with screw in pins and ratcheting clasp for precise adjustment
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: PREORDER: Brand Direct: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

Post by yinzburgher »

I looked up the movement when I first heard about this bc I wasn't familiar with it. As mentioned above, it has an independently adjustable GMT hand rather than hour hand so it's a "caller" rather than a "flyer". I think it could end up wearing a bit larger than most 41mm watches due to the long extending center link.

https://reference.grail-watch.com/movement/soprod-c125/

http://calibercorner.com/soprod-caliber-c125/
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:22 pm I looked up the movement when I first heard about this bc I wasn't familiar with it. As mentioned above, it has an independently adjustable GMT hand rather than hour hand so it's a "caller" rather than a "flyer". I think it could end up wearing a bit larger than most 41mm watches due to the long extending center link.

I still don't know/understand the differences in GMTs.
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:27 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:22 pm I looked up the movement when I first heard about this bc I wasn't familiar with it. As mentioned above, it has an independently adjustable GMT hand rather than hour hand so it's a "caller" rather than a "flyer". I think it could end up wearing a bit larger than most 41mm watches due to the long extending center link.

I still don't know/understand the differences in GMTs.
Yea, it sounds more confusing than it actually is. It's easier to see the difference by actually using, setting, and telling the time on them rather than reading about it but hopefully the explanation below will help. Most people that actually use their GMTs as intended for frequent travel prefer to use a "flyer" with an independently adjustable hour hand. You hear some refer to it as a "true GMT". Some of them scoff at "caller" watches with an independently adjustable GMT hand (like mine) and feel the need to point out at every turn that it isn't a "true GMT". But both will easily track 2 if not 3 time zones. This explanation is from the article linked below.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tudor ... gmt-review

Speaking rather broadly, modern GMT watches are generally divided into two categories: Independent 24 Hour and Local Jumping Hour. The division speaks to the underlying realities of movement production, as the Independent 24 Hour GMT market is almost entirely owned by ETA and their ubiquitous 2893-2 movement (there are also derivations of Sellita movements, but the end realities are the same), which uses an independently set 24-hour hand which tracks a timezone of your choosing via a 24 hour scale or bezel. I call these “Caller GMTs” as they are great for tracking other time zones from home, but as all of the hands function together when changing the main time display, this layout is not all that adept at quickly changing to a new time zone when actively traveling.

The other option, Local Jumping Hour, is more complicated but offers more flexibility for actual travel. Along with a 24-hour hand, watches that offer a Local Jumping Hour GMT functionality have the ability to jump the main (local) hour hand in one-hour increments in either direction to update to a new time zone. If the ebb or flow of zones passes midnight, then the date updates as well. This methodology allows you to preserve both the general timekeeping (the movement does not stop when jumping the hour hand), and whatever time zone was being managed by the 24-hour hand. For this reason, I call this methodology a “Flyer GMT.” If you’re changing time zones, it’s practical and easy. And, once you get a handle on the 24-hour bezel offered by watches like the Black Bay GMT, you've hit that next level.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Less than 2 months left and about 10% funded as of right now.

Nomad.jpg
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: SOLD OUT: Brand Direct: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

Post by TheJohnP »

To follow up, this preorder is

SOLD OUT

You can still sign up to be notified when this product is available.

https://www.mercergoods.com/products/no ... 9933150305
Click Icon To Contact Me

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: SOLD OUT: Brand Direct: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

Post by yinzburgher »

I received an email from Mercer saying that the Nomad GMT will be launched on Kickstarter in approximately two weeks. The early bird price has dropped to just $399. You can sign up to receive more information at the link below.

MERCER NOMAD GMT

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: PREORDER : Kickstarter: Mercer Watch Co - Nomad GMT

Post by TheJohnP »

As previously mentioned, Mercer has relaunched preorders for their Nomad GMT automatic on Kickstarter.

Early Bird pricing is $399 SOLD OUT
Tier 1 pricing is $449 SOLD OUT
Tier 2 pricing is $499
Tier 3 pricing is $549
Regular price should still be $799

Estimated delivery is December 2020

Available in the same two colorways, however they have teased adding another color as a stretch goal.

Specs:

Click Icon To Contact Me

recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

They don’t really mean “integrated” in that bracelet description, do they? It sure looks like it has standard lugs and end links.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

recapt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 am They don’t really mean “integrated” in that bracelet description, do they? It sure looks like it has standard lugs and end links.
That appears to be a mistake.
There is a pic of the watch on a standard leather strap in one of the collages above.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

4 days to go and less than 70% funded.

This does not bode well for Mercer.
Click Icon To Contact Me

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I am slightly surprised by its failure, given Mercer's name. I don't follow a lot of the watch campaigns on KS so I don't know if their goal is too high, but it does not look that way to me. I am wondering if some changes might make it more likely successful, if they were to launch it again.

- I agree with [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] - 40.5mm in diameter doesn't sound large on paper but the relatively thin bezel and larger dial would make it look and wear larger and the male end of the bracelet links does stick out. The current trend seems to be in the favor of smaller watches these days (or maybe I am misperceiving through my biased lens?). If this were to wear large, make the diameter 38mm might work.

- I know they emphasize on the independently-adjustable GMT hand but would a more popular ETA GMT movement likely sway potential buyers? Maybe it is harder to source ETA movements these days. Some companies still can, so perhaps it might depend on who you are.

- QC - someone over at WUS spotted misaligned indices in the micro shots. I am always surprised by brands posting micro shots showing evidence of suboptimal QC. You're supposed to use those shots to sell your products not turn people away! Other product shots also show some numbers on the bezel are off. You can state those are just prototypes but how many would be willing to commit to buying a watch hoping these QC issues would be resolved?

- Making the bezel rotatable might help? Maybe it's not a big deal for many....

- I am not a fan of the indices "eating' into the chapter ring (same issue I have with some Zelos models) but that's purely a personal preference.

It's a shame as a clean-looking GMT is not easy to find. Two hours to go and they still need $18k. It's a goner...
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I don't know why this didn't do better [mention]pdsf[/mention].

I think the pricing looks fair.
Is it unfamiliarity with the Soprod movement?
I can't say I hear/read much about Mercer these days, other than occasional sales. But I don't spend as much time on forums where there would be discussion. ;)
Is there a stigma from them selling preorders direct and then launching on Kickstarter?

I also see they haven't really been active on social (Facebook/IG) for at least a month.
So they didn't do themselves any favors by lack of promotion.
Click Icon To Contact Me

DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

There are a lot of valid points but I think the largest contributing factor is actually advertising.

Mercer is neglecting the most popular medium of WIS-based platform: Instagram. If you're actually serious about making a watch-related crowdfunding successful, you need to use that platform as it is the easiest one to browse pictures in. Their account is inaptly named "mercer_goods" rather than "mercer_watches" or something that people can find easily and I have seen 0 advertisements regarding their kickstarter when browsing watches.

They need a new digital marketing team.

Edit: I also noticed that they sent out the prototype to AverageBros Youtube a YEAR ago... No heat from hype left if it's left to cool down that long.
Last edited by DogOnTime on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

[mention]TheJohnP[/mention], as you know, I am no expert, but I agree that pricing is fair. I keep thinking ETA or Sellita would have done better for it than Sopord. I didn't know they hadn't been active on social media. That's a significant finding. I remember it was very much the community efforts that finally got the Newmark 71 funded. People worked together to spread the word on FB, IG and WUS. Some talked about their positive experience with their previous launch. It was actually rather heartwarming to see. The project creator was responsive throughout to queries and concerns on multiple channels, and he made changes during the campaign to make the models better received. I guess people knew that they would be looked after and would receive a great product. It literally just passed the goal within 1-2 days of closing. It was quite a journey. I love my Newmark 71.

Sorry I disgressed. My guess is there were probably several factors involved. One may not necessarily have mattered but when you have several in the equation, a significant effect might result. If you have a project creator who is not that present, people would have concerns. Potential customers need to be engaged. I did see quite a few pledge cancellations over the past few days.

Edit - I didn't see [mention]Nsjong[/mention]'s post while writing - I agree with you!