As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

Post by TheJohnP »

Fugue Watches relaunched their Kickstarter for the Fiction One.

Super Early Bird pricing is around $358 SOLD OUT
Early Bird pricing is around $425
Kickstarter pricing is around $479
Regular price will be about $840

Estimated delivery is April 2021

From the description:

This campaign was originally launched in September 2020. Unfortunately it did not reach its goal. We received immense support and energy from all our backers and from everyone in general that showed interest in our watch. We still truly believe that the Fiction One is a unique watch and that it deserves a place out there in the real world. So we decided to give it another shot.

Learning from our mistakes in setting up the campaign and listening to your feedback, we have decided to bring you version 2 of the campaign with the following changes.

1. Lower global financial objective: We have re-negociated with our manufacturing partners to find a lower break-even point to make this happen.
2. Better rewards: We have reworked our reward system to make it more realistic compared to the product cost and less limited in terms of quantities.
3. Cheaper shipping costs: We have lowered shipping costs for all destinations and included a clearer segmentation including a European zone (UK + Switzerland and Norway included).
4. Stretch goals: As we have lowered our global financial objective, we also have added new targets if we exceed expectations, unlocking new features for the watch.

Below are the original campaign details:

This isn't the first watch by Fugue Watches out of Paris, but this is their first campaign on Kickstarter.

“Fictions” is a new capsule collection that immerses us in inspiring universes of literary genres, embodied by horological creations. The Fiction One is the first edition of the series and is inspired by the mystery novel.

Because of the literary inspiration, Fugue has partnered with the NGO Libraries Without Borders. Its goal is to spread knowledge to populations who are deprived of it, and who may one day be interested in watchmaking.

In order to support this cause, up to 4% of revenues generated from sales of the Fugue Fiction One will fund Libraries Without Borders projects.

I am a sucker for mystery dials, but personally think they could've been more "mystery" with these particular dials.

Early Bird presale pricing is around $227 SOLD OUT
Kickstarter presale pricing is around $460
Regular price will be about $811

Estimated delivery is February 2021

The Fiction One is available in two colorways, the Dark Side with a smoked black dial with vintage lume hands and the Bright Side with smoked white with aqua lume hands.

I will give them props, I love their packaging:

Specs:
- Movement: Sellita SW200 élaboré grade
- Crystal: Sapphire glass on top / K1 sapphire treated exhibition caseback
- Water resistance: 50 meters
- Dimensions: 38mm diameter (excluding crown) / 18mm lug width / 45.8mm lug-to-lug
- Mystery Dial
- Superluminova phosphorescent hands and minute wheel dots
- Frosted finished dial with smoked gradient
- Polished / brushed case
- Veal leather strap with creased edges

Fugue has taken the important decision to assemble its own watches in-house, in Paris, France. With a new set of technical skills acquired by its founder, who trained to become a watchmaker, the brand is now able to commit to local and qualitative values. The assembly relies on components provided by trusted suppliers, who have been partners of Fugue since the start, like Sellita in Switzerland for its automatic movement.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: PREORDER: Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

Post by Boourns »

This was a heck of a deal at $227. Still not exactly sure how the hands work but it looks good.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Boourns wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm This was a heck of a deal at $227. Still not exactly sure how the hands work but it looks good.
That $227 will probably hurt them in the long run.
Those initial offerings that are so cheap, even if only a handful, set the bar low for anyone coming in for next pricing tier.

Honestly think they would've been smarter pricing the first batch at $327 so not as steep of a jump mentally.

And the hands work like normal. Except they are painted on rotating discs instead of typical hands. You can see it a little easier in the exploded view pic.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Boourns wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm This was a heck of a deal at $227. Still not exactly sure how the hands work but it looks good.
The "hands" are printed on clear disks, which are mounted on the pinion. To John's point, most mystery dials are a little more mysterious, like a floating triangle. This is pretty cool take though. I hope they do well.
sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 pm
That $227 will probably hurt them in the long run.
Those initial offerings that are so cheap, even if only a handful, set the bar low for anyone coming in for next pricing tier.

Honestly think they would've been smarter pricing the first batch at $327 so not as steep of a jump mentally.

And the hands work like normal. Except they are painted on rotating discs instead of typical hands. You can see it a little easier in the exploded view pic.
Have to agree with you 100%...can't say I have ever seen a 50% level increase on Kickstarter before.
Never say never but.......never gonna happen ;)
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 pm And the hands work like normal. Except they are painted on rotating discs instead of typical hands. You can see it a little easier in the exploded view pic.
I see now after looking again. When I saw it the first time I thought both hands were on the same disc.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
WPybus
MoT Member

Post by WPybus »

Managed to get one of the 10 super cheap early bird pre sales, I think it’s a great watch for that price.... I hope it gets funded- the game is afoot
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

WPybus wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:13 am Managed to get one of the 10 super cheap early bird pre sales, I think it’s a great watch for that price.... I hope it gets funded- the game is afoot
Thats great [mention]WPybus[/mention]!

I do hope it makes it to the finish line, though I do have my doubts.

But if I'm wrong, you're going to have a sweet watch and I can't wait to see pics.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Nolmel
MoT Member

Post by Nolmel »

Really nice watch and good sizing too, would have been in for it at $227 but its a big jump up as other people have said. Just makes you think that if they can do it at that price (and I understand they probably can't, it would be a loss leader for marketing purposes), why does it need to jump up so much. If anyone gets one and wants to resell I'd be interested.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

6 hours to go and not even half funded....sadly this won't make it. I know there are often many factors involved but I wonder if that big jump to the tier 2 price hurt the campaign significantly. Their financial goal is relatively high (I think?) but not terrible when looking at the final funded amounts of other successful projects.

Edit: Just read the comments. The initial low offering price has been the subject of discussion.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Agreed, that price disparity between the pledge tiers is likely the cause of less people backing the campaign.
Click Icon To Contact Me

pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 am Agreed, that price disparity between the pledge tiers is likely the cause of less people backing the campaign.
A mistake that's possibly going to haunt them again if they were to re-start their campaign in the future if folks remembered the current campaign.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: UNSUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

Post by TheJohnP »

To follow up, this Kickstarter campaign was:

UNSUCCESSFUL

The project's funding goal was not reached on Wed, October 28 2020 2:26 PM EDT

The creators posted an update, but it was for backers only.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: PREORDER : Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

Post by TheJohnP »

Fugue Watches relaunched their Kickstarter for the Fiction One.

Super Early Bird pricing is around $358 SOLD OUT
Early Bird pricing is around $425
Kickstarter pricing is around $479
Regular price will be about $840

Estimated delivery is April 2021

From the description:

This campaign was originally launched in September 2020. Unfortunately it did not reach its goal. We received immense support and energy from all our backers and from everyone in general that showed interest in our watch. We still truly believe that the Fiction One is a unique watch and that it deserves a place out there in the real world. So we decided to give it another shot.

Learning from our mistakes in setting up the campaign and listening to your feedback, we have decided to bring you version 2 of the campaign with the following changes.

1. Lower global financial objective: We have re-negociated with our manufacturing partners to find a lower break-even point to make this happen.
2. Better rewards: We have reworked our reward system to make it more realistic compared to the product cost and less limited in terms of quantities.
3. Cheaper shipping costs: We have lowered shipping costs for all destinations and included a clearer segmentation including a European zone (UK + Switzerland and Norway included).
4. Stretch goals: As we have lowered our global financial objective, we also have added new targets if we exceed expectations, unlocking new features for the watch.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Fugue Watches - Fiction One mystery dial automatic

Post by TheJohnP »

To follow up, this second Kickstarter campaign was

SUCCESSFUL

132 backers pledged €48,651 to help bring this project to life.
Click Icon To Contact Me