We're Moving!

Click for more info.

SUCCESSFUL : Kickstarter: Second Hour Watches - Mandala Collection

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

EA-Sports
MoT Member

Re: PREORDER: Kickstarter: Second Hour Watches - Mandala Collection

Post by EA-Sports »

sobwanhoser wrote:I would normally agree 100% but on this watch, because there is a white chapter ring? around the dial and with the way the date is integrated at 6pm, the date version is actually decent looking.....but I think I'm still leaning toward no-date though
And don't even start me on the "both" :twisted: ....the grey gilt and salmon are both sweet looking :lol:
Would’ve been green gilt and salmon for me but I need to be discipline..too many watches to buy to get 2 from the same microbrand..especially since I’m seriously considering getting the DRZ04 tomorrow too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

Interesting but I’ll probably stick with Salmon dial...

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

EA-Sports wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:05 pm Image

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

We can call this one the Ahi Tuna dial....I think I'd prefer a deeper red or burgundy?
USMChawk
MoT Member

Post by USMChawk »

EA-Sports wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:05 pm Image

Same.
sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

Received the latest update from Kickstarter.....kind of mixed messages? Seems they offered free straps to people from their website but not to the Kickstarter backers?? WTF?
They say it is because the backing has slowed tremendously? They are currently 300%+ over their goal, which they set? WTF?
Further, they stated in the campaign that if they surpass 400 units, the manufacturing time and shipping may be delayed....so why the hell would you try and make more than 400 you planned for, at the risk of pissing off your backers. Every project in Kickstarter that dramatically overshot their initial production plans has resulted in chaos and delays...WTF!
Just do a second run later, with built in demand ready (hello Zelos, Helm, Atticus....practically every successful microbrand!)

Really like the watch but this stuff drives me crazy...I hate when the terms/conditions change, after you already backed something! :evil:
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

sobwanhoser wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:08 am Received the latest update from Kickstarter.....kind of mixed messages? Seems they offered free straps to people from their website but not to the Kickstarter backers?? WTF?
They say it is because the backing has slowed tremendously? They are currently 300%+ over their goal, which they set? WTF?
Further, they stated in the campaign that if they surpass 400 units, the manufacturing time and shipping may be delayed....so why the hell would you try and make more than 400 you planned for, at the risk of pissing off your backers. Every project in Kickstarter that dramatically overshot their initial production plans has resulted in chaos and delays...WTF!
Just do a second run later, with built in demand ready (hello Zelos, Helm, Atticus....practically every successful microbrand!)

Really like the watch but this stuff drives me crazy...I hate when the terms/conditions change, after you already backed something! :evil:

It does seem to be some mixed messages.
But I think there's something to needing continual backing to stay on top of Kickstarter's featured campaign algorithm.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Here's the message that Peter sent to folks on his email list about the 48 hour deal for a free leather strap for new backers:
The BOLD is mine.

Mandala Special Offer
from Peter Sargison — March 23 2021

Read on for a very special offer you won’t want to miss.
It’s been an incredible campaign so far and to say thank you, for the next 48 hours, we’re offering new campaign pledges a very special deal.

Back the Mandala Kickstarter campaign (HERE) at the Standard Kickstarter Discount during the next 48 hours and we will add a beautiful handmade leather strap to your order - valued at $70 AUD - absolutely free.

Applies to new orders only, received between now and 48 hours from now. Does not cover cancelled pledges or pledges modified during that period.
So come and join the hundreds of happy backers and secure one of these incredible sport watches for yourself.

See below a render of one of an additional proposed stretch goals: a beautiful red dial Mandala. White and cream dial options currently being developed.

Come and get on board the campaign and make the new stretch goal a reality.

Don’t miss out on your Mandala.
Thank you to everyone who has supported the campaign so far!

Best regards

Peter and Akira
Second Hour Watches
Click Icon To Contact Me

sobwanhoser
MoT Member

Post by sobwanhoser »

Another question: Why use Kickstarter and pay their fees when you get 300%+ backers....you could have done this for free using pre-order model from your own website? I'll assume it's a taxation thing (capital investment vs income from sales?)
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Here's the Kickstarter update he followed up with:
The BOLD is mine.

Stretch Goal Dials and Updates
Peter Sargison - Creator
March 23, 2021

Hello all you wonderful backers

It's been an absolutely mind blowing campaign so far, but we wanted to post a special update to cover the new stretch goal dials and a word of explanation.

First, to the recent newsletter sent to our website subscribers, which offered a free leather strap if you pledged during a 48 hour period:

As many may have noticed we hit a slight stall point in funding a couple of days ago after an incredible start since last Thursday. Where new pledges aren't received the campaign falls off the KS radar and net losses from cancelled pledges can really turn into a freefall in funding.

We made the urgent, tactical decision to take evasive action and create a limited time offer to new backers in order to reverse the trend.
Being it's only for 48 hours the offer will attract only a handful of new pledges, but with luck will reverse the concerning trend we're seeing.
Last year during the campaign for the Gin Clear we offered several such deals during the campaign and it had a great effect. However, last year's campaign enjoyed growth throughout the 30 days, whereas this one is a little different and has plateaued too soon.

Rest assured that we value each and every pledge very highly and will ensure ALL early backers (first 4 days of campaign) are appropriately rewarded when we ship the campaign - we'll work something out and announce it. We are not in the business of letting down the people who are our biggest supporters.

Please stick with us and we'll make it all worthwhile, and the Mandala is incredible value considering we've reduced it down from $565 USD for this campaign.

STRETCH GOAL - RED / WHITE / CREAM COLOURED DIALS

We have so far developed three potential options with two due tomorrow, once they've all been shown we'll take a vote. Featured below: red dial, white dial and cream dial. Tomorrow we'll show the cream and white dials where the dial colour is extending all the way to the outer edge, rather than having the grey outer ring. Let us know what you think so far.

Cheers

Peter

Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

sobwanhoser wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:22 am Another question: Why use Kickstarter and pay their fees when you get 300%+ backers....you could have done this for free using pre-order model from your own website? I'll assume it's a taxation thing (capital investment vs income from sales?)
Eyeballs.

Kickstarter brings in a HUGE amount of potential backers and views if he had done this on his own.

I'm sure, like Direnzo for example, Second Hour may go their own preorder on a future campaign. But for now, Kickstarter has too big of an audience not to capitalize upon.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Ultimately, they're trying to entice people who may be on the fence.
Those people missed on the better pricing, but for a limited time will get a free additional strap.

I'm sure it could've been handled/planned better, but here we are.

Hoping it doesn't bite them in the ass and they lose out on some backers who this rubs the wrong way.
Click Icon To Contact Me

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Here's the three new dial variants they're looking at adding.
The white and cream are boring, so obviously that'll be the one more people vote for.

STRETCH GOAL - RED / WHITE / CREAM COLOURED DIALS

We have so far developed three potential options with two due tomorrow, once they've all been shown we'll take a vote. Featured below: red dial, white dial and cream dial. Tomorrow we'll show the cream and white dials where the dial colour is extending all the way to the outer edge, rather than having the grey outer ring. Let us know what you think so far.

Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 am Ultimately, they're trying to entice people who may be on the fence.
Those people missed on the better pricing, but for a limited time will get a free additional strap.

I'm sure it could've been handled/planned better, but here we are.

Hoping it doesn't bite them in the ass and they lose out on some backers who this rubs the wrong way.
Watches are mostly emotional purchases. Many backers will feel like they were taken advantage of, or that they are not getting something they should be. They'll be mad and some will cancel. The question is, will the new backers outweigh or at least offset the cancelations?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
EA-Sports
MoT Member

Post by EA-Sports »

When I read the email this morning the first thing that came to mind was WTF..sounds like a slight toward early backers..hopefully they’ll make it up...