Deals Talk

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: Deals Talk

Post by PetWatch »

I'll just say satisfactory to myself. One man's grail is another man's Hmm? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bergbergs
MoT Member

Post by Bergbergs »

Anyone with experience with both the rubber strap and a bracelet from Deep Blue? Currently lusting after one of the 40mm Mother of Pearl dials (wavering between blue and white), and am debating whether it's worth spending the extra money for a bracelet ($150 vs $200 after 40% off with IG40). I suppose I could've used the Jubilee I had laying around from my SKX but I gifted that watch, bracelet and all, to a good friend not too long ago.

Edit: This is the watch I am leaning toward: https://www.deepbluewatches.com/di10ii40audi36.html.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

From what I remember from recent years, the deals seem to taper off for a while after Valentine's Day and President's Day sales. Judging by what I've seen so far this year, watch deals have continued even after those holidays this year. I now think that's likely to continue. My current assessment: Our economy has just started hitting the ****. I'm not talking about the markets, I'm talking about the US and global economy and the financial prospects for the vast majority of people. My hope is that it hits bottom and rebounds in months rather than years. Here are my questions. What do you think watch deals will be like a few weeks or months or a year from now. Will you be waiting on the sidelines for a while to see what happens? That's what I'll likely do unless I see a dream watch at a great price soon. I was neither a big watch geek nor a big spender back in 2009 and 2010 after the last big economic downturn. For people that were, what do you remember about the prices of watches, luxury and otherwise? Were there great deals to be had on new or used watches, whether from dealers or private sales? Whatcha think?
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I'll chime in with a few comments. I have no personal experience in regards to how prior recessions affected watch prices, but we can get a good estimate based on past economic slowdowns in general, specifically in regards to the luxury market that even most affordable watches discussed here fall into.

The independent retail brick and mortars have been under pressure for some time before all this started, changes brought on by online shopping competition and the increasing aversion towards in person high pressure sales is taking its toll. This economic slowdown could decimate the business model for many forcing them out of business or to adapt by increasing reliance on lower margin online sales, which will cannibalize their traditional bread and butter. A strategic shift that is compounded in a recession, tough task.

Some retailers will try to get a jump on sales quickly, but most are still waiting on the sidelines to get a clearer picture of what's to come. I expect many more and deeper discounts ahead over time as the pressure of lower sales and need to meet operating expenses increases over time.

If the recession lasts longer than the short time frame some are expecting, an increasingly likely scenario by the day, there will be a reduction in new models coming to market. Higher priced points, considered entry level to mid level luxury by enthusiasts will be under increased price pressure from the increasingly more competitive lower priced entries. Competition not just in price but in increasing quality along with reduced sales will drive prices down for some brands as they adopt new strategies to a changed marketplace. I don't know if there are more micro brands now then ever before since I only recently started following them more closely, these could be greatly impacted by a sever slowdown as they are more susceptible than the major brands to a significant sales slowdown, but all will be affected.

Better deals are coming both from retailers and personal sales under pressure to liquidate inventory and cash out over the short and longer term until things stabilize. Timing is difficult since this is developing situation but I would say there will be significant pressure for at least close to a year at a minimum, significant damage is already taking place. This will be largely dependent on govt. action, which being political we don't discuss here.

I bought one of those Hamilton deals posted a few days ago. Going forward I will wait for super deals on watches of interests. I'm staying away from any purchases with an eye toward resale at this time. I consider this a risky proposition since we won't know for some time how long this will take to play out or where prices will be when stability returns. To someone with a long timeframe or willing to take the risk of quick rebound, it could be a good opportunity to stock up.

This is an evolving situation and different scenarios may play out.

VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm From what I remember from recent years, the deals seem to taper off for a while after Valentine's Day and President's Day sales. Judging by what I've seen so far this year, watch deals have continued even after those holidays this year. I now think that's likely to continue. My current assessment: Our economy has just started hitting the ****. I'm not talking about the markets, I'm talking about the US and global economy and the financial prospects for the vast majority of people. My hope is that it hits bottom and rebounds in months rather than years. Here are my questions. What do you think watch deals will be like a few weeks or months or a year from now. Will you be waiting on the sidelines for a while to see what happens? That's what I'll likely do unless I see a dream watch at a great price soon. I was neither a big watch geek nor a big spender back in 2009 and 2010 after the last big economic downturn. For people that were, what do you remember about the prices of watches, luxury and otherwise? Were there great deals to be had on new or used watches, whether from dealers or private sales? Whatcha think?r
I did spend on brands like Panerai, Omega and Zenith during mid 2000, not exactly after the big econ downturn in 2009. I did check the prices a bit on those brands though. My impression was the prices still went up after the downturn when compared to the time I bought the watches.

Therefore, it leads me concluding that it depends on what brands you are running after. I don't really believe that sought after brands like Rolex will drop in prices.

Nevertheless, mid tier brands will likely be another story., given that the supply and demand are different for top luxury brands.

Personally, I will try to stay sideline as I am not a big spender. Finger crossed.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

It looks like Lord & Taylor will be going under as soon as coronavirus restrictions are lifted and they can liquidate their inventory. STORY HERE. While they seem to have already liquidated much of their more desirable watch inventory, there could be some deals on their remaining watches coming up at some point. I just checked their site and there currently aren't any great watch deals. I'm also expecting more department store bankruptcies for later in the year and next year so that may be something to keep an eye on as well. If you do order something from L and T, I would expect it be hastily and poorly packaged.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

yinzburgher wrote:It looks like Lord & Taylor will be going under as soon as coronavirus restrictions are lifted and they can liquidate their inventory. STORY HERE. While they seem to have already liquidated much of their more desirable watch inventory, there could be some deals on their remaining watches coming up at some point. I just checked their site and there currently aren't any great watch deals. I'm also expecting more department store bankruptcies for later in the year and next year so that may be something to keep an eye on as well. If you do order something from L and T, I would expect it be hastily and poorly packaged.
Considering my recent experience with them, I would be hesitant to buy anything from them at this time, unless the deal is so good that whatever condition watch comes in is acceptable.

On a related note Neiman Marcus, high end retailer, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which allows them to reorganize.

They have gift card offers based on price if anyone is interested. Nothing stood out for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Too early to ascertain but based on last year or two and this year, it sure looks like a new BF trend is developing with most deals being released approximately a few days to a week before and some sell out, are removed or prices are raised by the time BF comes around. It's a long deals season though. Next is Cyber Monday, without high expectations on my part based on past few years. I do expect some good deals to pop up through year's end possibly into the start of the new year.