We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Christopher Ward AUD deal

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Re: Christopher Ward AUD deal

Post by peskydonut »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:14 pm
peskydonut wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:49 pm Went from having no Dartmouths to potentially having two. Just got a shipping notice for my initial purchase attempt. Just called to cancel. What a mess.

You can always pass the deal along to someone on the forum in the missed deal second chance.
CW hasn't yet charged me for the first watch. When they do, it will be at a far less favorable exchange rate than when the deal was originally posted. I would be happy to pass on the deal, but I think if someone is interested in the Dartmouth they would be better off purchasing directly from CW. They would get the same price minus my shipping costs.
Living a comeback montage.
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

DiscoEstScio wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:06 pm Happy to hear. My order is still processing (ordered on Monday afternoon EST)
Update:

So I dropped CW an email about the shipping delay and didn’t get a direct response but the order received tracking info and was dispatched within the hour 🤔 but no complaint from me as the package has since departed Heathrow.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

peskydonut wrote:
peskydonut wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:49 pm Went from having no Dartmouths to potentially having two. Just got a shipping notice for my initial purchase attempt. Just called to cancel. What a mess.

You can always pass the deal along to someone on the forum in the missed deal second chance.
CW hasn't yet charged me for the first watch. When they do, it will be at a far less favorable exchange rate than when the deal was originally posted. I would be happy to pass on the deal, but I think if someone is interested in the Dartmouth they would be better off purchasing directly from CW. They would get the same price minus my shipping costs.
Aaand now they charged me... $727
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

peskydonut wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:32 pm
peskydonut wrote:

Aaand now they charged me... $727
I used PP express to check out when buying from CW from last week so I was charged last week even though I my order only shipped today. Probably why I locked into last week’s favorable exchange rate.
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Christopher Ward AUD deal

Post by WhaleTail »

Nvermind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by WhaleTail on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
mplsabdullah
MoT Member

Post by mplsabdullah »

They got more money ($35 USD)from me by delaying the actual charge several days as well.
%99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

mplsabdullah wrote:They got more money ($35 USD)from me by delaying the actual charge several days as well.
Now I'm really curious to know if that was intentional or just a matter of the current circumstances. I'm not mad if it was intentional, just wondering.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

The AUD rose against the GBP (4%) and GBP dropped against the USD (6%) since the 20th. CW's listed price in either currency should've changed accordingly. Presumably their site has an integrated conversion algorithm.

As noted before, their AUD list price for the Dartmouth that I bought was a significantly higher number than the list price in USD. They got what they expected to get. We in the US simply leveraged the USD/AUD exchange rate. Since the pound has dropped, that may present new opportunities today.

The MoT staff economist is welcome to chime in. ;)
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
audio.bill
MoT Member

Post by audio.bill »

Regarding CW's timing posting charges, it explains on their site that if you pay directly with a CC it will not be charged until shipment but if you use PayPal the full charge is taken immediately upon purchase. I used PayPal and then cancelled my order, and ended up losing ~$25 due to changes in the currency conversion rate and PayPal fees. To be clear CW refunded the full amount of my purchase which was made in AUD so no fault of theirs. I optimistically thought PayPal might at least waive their conversion fee but no such luck, guess that's the price I pay for making the purchase in a different currency.
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

My five day chronometer arrived yesterday evening. Not sure how DHL is so speedy but it literally took one day from the UK to NYC.

Gratuitous pic:
87E4677F-E56C-47C6-B220-85144553B36A.jpeg
Edit: not sure why the image rotated on the post but clicking on it brings up the pic in the correct orientation
DiscoEstScio
MoT Member

Post by DiscoEstScio »

Hard to distinguish the minute and hour hand but it is very good looking watch that dress up and down.

Dressed up:
088031C5-4E0B-4C6D-B73F-0B090865BA94.jpeg
Dressed down:
F7B77E3A-1C7C-4BA8-A5A9-B681CCD8157B.jpeg
(Still not sure why the forum tool rotates the pics...)
Bergbergs
MoT Member

Post by Bergbergs »

Got my shipping email from DHL yesterday on the Sandhurst (said before end of March, and I didn't even realize how close to the end of March it was lol). We'll see how fast it gets to my neck of the woods.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

So, I got in on one of the flash sales last Friday. I haven't received any communication from CW other than confirmation of my order that was an auto generated email after the purchase. How long did it take to get the shipping email and then for the watch to arrive? I understand we're living in a different world with the Covid stuff, but just want to get an idea.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Stretch44 wrote:So, I got in on one of the flash sales last Friday. I haven't received any communication from CW other than confirmation of my order that was an auto generated email after the purchase. How long did it take to get the shipping email and then for the watch to arrive? I understand we're living in a different world with the Covid stuff, but just want to get an idea.
I placed my first order or March 23rd, it shipped on the 30th, delivered on April 1st.

My second order was placed on March 26th, because I lost hope in ever getting the first one. It shipped out on the 27th (3 days before the first order) and arrived on March 30th (2 days before the first one).
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

So this is silly. I returned one of the Dartmouths (accidentally purchased two). It took so long to process the return that due to a more favorable AUD rate I got more than a paid.

After all the shenanigans (credit card fees, returns, etc) the one I kept ended up costing $677.79.

I guess the takeaway is, if you bought a watch when the AUD was low and aren't sure you want to keep it...you can "flip" it back to Christopher Ward.