Help me find a bargain thread

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Help me find a bargain thread

Post by TheJohnP »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Heehee yes I think extremely few watches exist with all those features. I looked at Lorier a few times and they would be what I want, but I really dislike the case lugs and especially the bracelet links (too many hard edges). Still though a very good option. I think I blame @DogOnTime for my pickiness with future purchases now lol. Maybe I will just start my own microbrand
Since it will likely check off ALL your boxes, you can call the brand Venn Watches.
Here's your logo:

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm Figured I should ask here before splurging on an NTH or another eterna kontiki.

But I'm looking for something to add to my collection. Don't care what brand it is or how much it costs (although under $1000 would be cool). I also don't care if it's modern or vintage.

Looking for something like a field or everyday watch or a diver with:

- 36-40mm case
- reliable manual or automatic movement
- 20mm lugs
- really high quality oyster style bracelet or beads of rice with a really good clasp (bonus for push button release and not friction)
- drilled lugs
- large crown with really smooth winding and has super good action when unscrewing/screwing it in
- dial in a "normal" color like black/blue/gray/cream etc
- sapphire crystal
- no crown guards
- preferably a more curvy flowing case rather than a lot of hard sharp edges

I keep coming close to stuff with all the features I want like the NTH sub models, but I'm sure some of you have interesting ideas. I know the Christopher Ward models are close to what I like as well but I just don't vibe with them or something I'm not sure.

Or if you're selling an NTH or kontiki yourself let me know ;)
A used Oris Divers 65 would hit a lot of these.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

To kind of answer my own question and for others looking for a similar style watch, I came across this from baltic watches

https://baltic-watches.com/en/collections/aquascaphe

Still not 100% sold on it but it has basically got everything I want (assuming the crown winding is smooth) so I technically should like it....
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

So if you truuuuuuly don't care about price a 114270 checks a lot of boxes.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Boourns wrote:So if you truuuuuuly don't care about price a 114270 checks a lot of boxes.
That's definitely what inspired my search haha. One day I will own an explorer 1. Hopefully. Maybe. I just need to win that chrono24 $5000 gift card and I'm set [emoji23]
Rainshadow
MoT Member

Post by Rainshadow »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:44 pm
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm Figured I should ask here before splurging on an NTH or another eterna kontiki.

But I'm looking for something to add to my collection. Don't care what brand it is or how much it costs (although under $1000 would be cool). I also don't care if it's modern or vintage.

- 36-40mm case
- 20mm lugs
- really high quality oyster style bracelet or beads of rice with a really good clasp (bonus for push button release and not friction)
- drilled lugs
- large crown with really smooth winding and has super good action when unscrewing/screwing it in
- sapphire crystal
- no crown guards

I keep coming close to stuff with all the features I want like the NTH sub models, but I'm sure some of you have interesting ideas. I know the Christopher Ward models are close to what I like as well but I just don't vibe with them or something I'm not sure.

You've got just enough "needs" that I'm finding it impossible to come up with a watch that checks all those boxes.
I've come close with a few, but the closest I can find is going to be Lorier
Only thing they don't seem to have is sapphire, since they use plexi.

https://www.lorierwatches.com/collections/watches

- 36mm case width
- 9mm case thickness + 2mm dome crystal
- 44mm case length / lug-to-lug
- 20mm lug width tapers to 16mm at clasp
- Bracelet fits up to 8-inch wrists
- Miyota 90S5 automatic movement (no-date), 28800 bph*
- 316L marine-grade stainless steel case
- Water resistant to 100 meters / 330 feet
- Screw-down crown
- Dome plexiglass crystal
- Swiss Superluminova BGW9 luminous
- 316L marine-grade stainless steel bracelet with solid endlinks
- Fully-articulating solid links secured by screw pins
- Push-button clasp with 3 microadjustment slots
- Included extras: 2-slot leather watch wallet, screwdriver for resizing bracelet
Heehee yes I think extremely few watches exist with all those features. I looked at Lorier a few times and they would be what I want, but I really dislike the case lugs and especially the bracelet links (too many hard edges). Still though a very good option. I think I blame @DogOnTime for my pickiness with future purchases now lol. Maybe I will just start my own microbrand

The Longines Conquest 39 I'm expecting next week ticks many, though not all of those boxes.

Cool machined crown I'm especially curious about, 20mm bracelet looks impressive, but a crown guard and no drilled lugs. Will report when I get it.

“You may be ruled by dogma without realizing it. Do not let it confront the truth of your vision quest.”

- New-Age **** Generator
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

- 36-40mm case
- 20mm lugs
- drilled lugs
- sapphire crystal
- no crown guards

Would you consider pre-owned? One watch that came to my mind is the Newmark 71, probably as I recall you said you liked triagular indices at 3, 6, 9, 12. They are sold out now though. The bracelet is not oyster or BoR but it's very comfortable. Crown action is fine. Bezel action is very good. The non-date Miyota has performed very well, around +0s to +2s over time. The lume is really good. It doesn't have drilled lugs though.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-26 073118.png
Screenshot 2020-09-26 073118.png (486.02 KiB) Viewed 628 times
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Figured I should ask here before splurging on an NTH or another eterna kontiki.

- 36-40mm case
- 20mm lugs
- drilled lugs
- sapphire crystal
- no crown guards

Possibly consider Squale, but the ones on bracelet typically have crown guards and lack drilled lugs I think.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/collectio ... ia-ceramic

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

- 36-40mm case
- 20mm lugs
- drilled lugs
- sapphire crystal
- no crown guards

So I thought of a Weiss standard issue field watch, but it doesn't come with a bracelet and it doesn't have drilled lugs. Same for a Halios seaforth, which is also 41mm and you'd have to get used anyway. Then it hit me that the answer is a 556a (except for the small crown guards! But I remembered you have one already. :lol: So back to the drawing board.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

[mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention] How about a Smiths Everest?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Boourns wrote:[mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention] How about a Smiths Everest?
It's like you can read my mind... I have the everest expedition on order just waiting for it to ship [emoji28]
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:49 pm
Boourns wrote:@AndroidIsAwesome How about a Smiths Everest?
It's like you can read my mind... I have the everest expedition on order just waiting for it to ship [emoji28]
You know what I think you told me that already in this thread. :lol: I give up!
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 pmI think I blame @DogOnTime for my pickiness with future purchases now lol. Maybe I will just start my own microbrand
I am proud of you, young padawan. It's good to be picky because eventually someone will make something that ticks everything. Markets are only going to have better designs as they compete for your $.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

Paging all Casio experts: is there a relatively inexpensive, not gigantically huge Casio digital with a titanium case and bracelet? Or even just a titanium bracelet? I search and my eyes glaze over, and using the search term “titanium” somehow returns a lot of resin and stainless watches for reasons I cannot comprehend.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Elkins45 wrote:Paging all Casio experts: is there a relatively inexpensive, not gigantically huge Casio digital with a titanium case and bracelet? Or even just a titanium bracelet? I search and my eyes glaze over, and using the search term “titanium” somehow returns a lot of resin and stainless watches for reasons I cannot comprehend.
I’m far from a Casio expert but am interested in your question. After a few minutes of searching, the closest I could find was an ani-digi like the LCW-M100TSE-1A2JF which is full titanium, solar & MB6. They seems to be available for on eBay if interested. Good luck with your search either way!