We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Sources of Deals: Online Retailers, Marketplaces and Coupon Sites

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Sources of Deals: Online Retailers, Marketplaces and Coupon Sites

Post by watchpalooza »

Many of us have been mystified by the ninja-like deal finding abilities of our [mention]TheJohnP[/mention]. Thankfully, John shared the “secret” to his deal-finding success at the recent MoT Social Distancing Summit. It is so simple, yet very effective. His approach has also worked for me when hunting down deals for the “Help me find a deal” thread, so I thought it would be good to share it here. So what is the secret?

Reference number searches.

That’s right, John searches the usual sites in the OP above and when he finds a deal, he grabs the reference number and pops over to a search engine to search on it and see where it leads. This lets him confirm that he indeed has the best deal, and let’s him find other places the specific model is sold...sometimes finding a better deal, or introducing him to a previously unknown retailer to search the next time. In this way John builds his deal searchpertise.

In my experience, searching by name often yields limited results, or in the case of popular brands and models returns an ocean of SEO-optimized results. Reference numbers are still indexed by spiders, but seem to cut through to more of a pure and flat list. Doing this will help to locate some of the more obscure or unknown retailers, and you might find they have a better deal going.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

As the local stat collector, my biggest pet peeve is retailers who don't include the reference/model number in the listing. It at least triples the amount of time it takes me to enter the data.

Not only is it bad practice, but they are self-limiting potential sales. Plugging a reference number into a search engine will never lead the prospective customer to their site.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:55 am As the local stat collector, my biggest pet peeve is retailers who don't include the reference/model number in the listing. It at least triples the amount of time it takes me to enter the data.

Not only is it bad practice, but they are self-limiting potential sales. Plugging a reference number into a search engine will never lead the prospective customer to their site.
The reference/model # search does have some of a blindspot with some retailers that don't use them (Saks, Neiman, Nordstrom, etc). So they could have a better price, but unless you check them specifically no way to know.

And if I do find a good price at a place that doesn't use reference numbers, I have to "reverse engineer" it via image search to confirm best pricing.

Not as fun.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I really like the term searchpertise you used [mention]watchpalooza[/mention]. I'll have to incorporate that going forward.

Another searchpertise trick is a more general search, especially around holidays.

Do a search for "Memorial Day watch sale" or "Memorial Day watch clearance" and quotation marks are helpful if used.

You'll get somewhere around 10 - 15 pages of results. Go through all the pages. There's a chance you could find a couple of results that prove promising. And if it's a complete bust, it happens. But when you do find a deal or two, it's quite exciting.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I notice dead links from time to time. Duty Free Island Shop is dead, for example. I saw 3-4 just now. List them here?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:24 pm I notice dead links from time to time. Duty Free Island Shop is dead, for example. I saw 3-4 just now. List them here?
That would be helpful thanks.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:24 pm I notice dead links from time to time. Duty Free Island Shop is dead, for example. I saw 3-4 just now. List them here?
With only 13 likes and no comments for 3 years, I had assumed no one was using this. It definitely contains dated information / needs some updating to bring current. I will go through in the next days to validate / add / cleanup and update this resource. Thank you for bringing it to attention.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Alright, I went through and removed the post-COVID dead links. Next step is to mine the deals thread and Discord to find some new sources to add.
Click Icon To Contact Me