MoT is giving away a watch!

People are amazed at how awesome this inexpensive watch is. You will be too, click here!

ManOnTime Exclusive: Ask Me Anything with Brice, founder of Time Locker!

Vintage Dive Watches Made Modern
https://www.weartimelocker.com/

Moderator: Brice

Brice
Brand Rep
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 167 times

Re: Open Now: ManOnTime Exclusive: Ask Me Anything with Brice, founder of Time Locker!

Post by Brice » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:42 am

Boourns wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 pm
What goes into design/specification decisions? I am most interested in case size.

It seems that in our "New Release" thread, lots of new watches that are 42mm elicit the same comments: "I wish that was smaller." Anecdotally, this seems to be a majority sentiment among enthusiasts, at least on this board, reddit, WUS, etc. Obviously this is just unscientific observation (or maybe confirmation bias on my part), so I suspect maybe there is data that establishes the opposite.

Is this feeling just among a vocal minority? Do the watch buying masses actually prefer bigger cases? Is it just personal preference of the creator? Maybe it's simply easier to source 40mm+ cases?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Thanks for doing this!
Hi @Boourns, thanks for your question. The case size is actually one of my big design challenges. You are right, I received a few comments about the case size. People are asking for a smaller size.

It is a decision that I will have to make. Keeping 42mm or going for a smaller size such as 41mm or 40mm (39mm seems too small).
It’s true that many successful watches on Kickstarter had a case size of 41mm or below.

If I could, I would be happy to have more than one size to offer. However, I have to deal with MOQ. Previously, the MOQ was 500 units. With the new manufacturers I am talking to, the MOQ is 300 per case size. Even with this smaller MOQ, I still prefer to have one size for a first launch.

You can easily get a smaller off-the-shelf case, which would mean a lower MOQ, but a standard design. Since I am creating a custom made case mold, my MOQ is higher. The first version of my watches had a 42mm case size as for me, a dive watch has to be big. A few people asked for a 44mm case... But I think I would have a hard time to find enough backers for such a large case.
These users liked the author Brice for the post (total 2):
watchpaloozaTheJohnP
Let us know what we can improve!
Design survey here.
Brice
Brand Rep

Re: Open Now: ManOnTime Exclusive: Ask Me Anything with Brice, founder of Time Locker!

Post by Brice » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 am

Elkins45 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:19 pm
In your conversations with potential watch buyers are there any requests, desires, complaints or themes that are common across many different demographics?
Hi @Elkins45, thanks for your question.

For my designs, here are the most common feedback/requests I have received:
    - Reduce the case size.
      - Remove the date display.
        - Remove the logo from the dial/change the font/write TL instead of Time Locker.
          - Add drilled lugs.
            - Have a stainless steel bracelet.
              - Create a model suitable for a woman's wrist.

When looking at discussions on forums/Facebook/Reddit for other brands, the most common thing I see is the case size and the request for a stainless steel strap when a dive watch comes without one.
              These users liked the author Brice for the post (total 3):
              watchpaloozaSporkboyTheJohnP
              Design survey here.
              Brice
              Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Conchita Turtle wrote:
              Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm
              Salut! Grüß Gott!

Why an airplane logo on diver watches? Will there be pilot watches soon?
              The lead time to get my movement from Seiko increased kept getting longer and longer and I knew that this timeframe would not be well received by people wanting my designs.
              A real pity. It's weird. In times of smartwatches and the fact that many people no longer wear watches, Seiko is not able to supply so much NH35 that has become ubiquitous. Maybe it would have been an opportunity to put in a Miyota 9000.
              Hola @Conchita Turtle, thanks for your questions.

Before I decided to design my watches, I was crafting leather flight jackets as a hobby. My goal was to recreate vintage flight jackets. That's why Time Locker has this logo. At first, I was working on both the jackets and the watches but quickly realized that this was not possible to do. I simply had not enough time. So I put aside the jackets to focus on the watches. Yes, in the future, I wish to do a pilot type watch. First, a dive watch (the current models), followed by a military-type ''dress watch'', then a pilot watch.

As for Seiko and Citizen (Miyota), they are both facing an increase in the demand for their movements due to the lower supply of Swiss movements. This is the result of a ''battle'' between the Swiss Competition Commission and the Swatch Group. Here is an article from Hodinkee to give you an overview of the conflict between the COMCO and the Swatch Group/ETA. This situation creates uncertainty for watch manufacturers. As a result, the demand for Japanese movements goes up... To increase their production capacity, Citizen and Seiko have to invest, hire and train to catch up with the demand. They need time to do so.
              TheJohnPwatchpalooza
              Design survey here.
              ManOnTime
              Site Admin
              Has liked: 2224 times
              Been liked: 7161 times

Re: ManOnTime Exclusive: Ask Me Anything with Brice, founder of Time Locker!

Post by ManOnTime » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 pm

The "official" period for the AMA is now over, and I'd like to thank @Brice for agreeing to participate.

I'd also like to thank everyone else for the great questions! I'm sure they'll give Brice some more insight into the wants and desires of the consumer.

This thread will remain open so members can post follow-up/more questions that Brice can answer when he's able.

Thank you everyone!
              These users liked the author ManOnTime for the post (total 3):
              TheJohnPwatchpaloozaBrice
              Your friend in time,
              Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
              'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
              Guyinwatch
              MoT Member
              Has liked: 227 times
              Been liked: 338 times

Post by Guyinwatch » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Guyinwatch wrote:
              Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:33 am
              There are 10 times more search results for "automatic watch" than "quartz watch" on kickstarter. Please share a little bit about why this is so and whether or not you have ever considered producing a quartz watch.
              Thanks for your time.
              This seems to have gotten lost at the bottom of page 1, maybe?
              These users liked the author Guyinwatch for the post:
              Brice
              Brice
              Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:15 am

Guyinwatch wrote:
              Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 pm
              Guyinwatch wrote:
              Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:33 am
              There are 10 times more search results for "automatic watch" than "quartz watch" on kickstarter. Please share a little bit about why this is so and whether or not you have ever considered producing a quartz watch.
              Thanks for your time.
              This seems to have gotten lost at the bottom of page 1, maybe?
              Dear @Guyinwatch I am so sorry for having missed your great question.

For me, most of the people who are launching a watch on Kickstarter are watch enthusiasts who prefer automatic watches to quartz timepieces.

Launching a watch is like with any entrepreneurial project really demanding. I personally spend all my free time on this project and had to make a few sacrifices along the way. That's why it's important for me to create a watch I would love to wear. It's part of my ''why''.

That's how I would explain the sheer number of automatic watches on Kickstarter.

With that being said, to test the market, I asked in my design survey what kind of movement people would prefer with my watches. I gave them the choice between an automatic Japanese movement and a Swiss quartz movement. Only 15,3% asked for the quartz movement.

The next two designs I have in mind are with automatic movements too... However, never say never.

Looking further on Kickstarter at the projects using a quartz movement, many of them are in the ''fashion category''. Linjer is for me the perfect example.
              These users liked the author Brice for the post:
              TheJohnP
              Design survey here.
              Brice
              Brand Rep

Re: ManOnTime Exclusive: Ask Me Anything with Brice, founder of Time Locker!

Post by Brice » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 am

ManOnTime wrote:
              Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 pm
              The "official" period for the AMA is now over, and I'd like to thank @Brice for agreeing to participate.

I'd also like to thank everyone else for the great questions! I'm sure they'll give Brice some more insight into the wants and desires of the consumer.

This thread will remain open so members can post follow-up/more questions that Brice can answer when he's able.

Thank you everyone!
              Thanks @ManOnTime and @watchpalooza for this great opportunity. Thanks to all the members of the Man On Time community for your questions. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me here if you have further questions.

I will post on this forum the evolution of my project, including the upcoming design updates. I am waiting for the final quotations from manufacturers and suppliers before being able to create the renderings.

Cheers,
              Brice
              TheJohnPwatchpalooza
              Design survey here.