Image credit: nobswatchmaker.com

Members have started discussing a forum watch. Before we can consider starting such a project, we should gauge interest first. Please vote in the poll.

Take the poll here: https://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1788

Introducing Time Locker

Vintage Dive Watches Made Modern
https://www.weartimelocker.com/

Moderator: Brice

Brice
Brand Rep
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 167 times

Introducing Time Locker

Post by Brice » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi, Man On Time community,

Let me introduce the Time Locker diving watches I have designed. I will launch them this year on Kickstarter (September/October 2019).

Our flagship diving watches comprises 3 divers inspired by the timepieces issued to combat divers in the 1950’s.

I named the watches after marine trenches found in the Pacific Ocean. 

The Kouriles
The Kouriles - Time Locker.png
The Kouriles - Time Locker.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2794 times

The Tonga
The Tonga - Time Locker.png
The Tonga - Time Locker.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2794 times

The Kermadec 
The Kermadec - Time Locker.png
The Kermadec - Time Locker.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2794 times

Highlights 
  • A scratch-resistant ceramic bezel with lumed markers: I remember how much I loved the first ceramic bezel of the Omega Seamaster in 2011. In my opinion, a ceramic bezel brings a watch to the next higher level.
  • Applied numerals and indexes: this gives volume and visibility to the dial.
  • 3 layers of Swiss lume C3 Super LumiNova: we all love lume shots. 3 layers of lume really increase the glow of the watch in the dark....again best visibility in low no light conditions.
  • A double domed sapphire crystal glass with AR coating on the inside: this crystal shape helps the dial to pop out. Something eye-pleasing for watch enthusiasts like you and me.

Time Locker diving watches.png
Time Locker diving watches.png (600.39 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Watch specs
Case
- Stainless steel 316L with brush finishing
- Size: 42.00 mm
- Thickness (including crystal): 14.00 mm
- Lug to lug: 50.00 mm
- Lug width: 22.00 mm
- Embossed screw-down case back
Crown
- Oversized signed crown-down for ease of use
Weight
97g or 3.42oz
Bezel
- Unidirectional, 120 clicks, scratch-resistant ceramic bezel
- Etched indexes filled with lume.
- Intentionally wide bezel (4.35 mm)
Crystal
Double domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the inside.
Lume
C3 Super-LumiNova lume on indexes, numerals, hands, and bezel.

Time Locker - Lume.png
Time Locker - Lume.png (256.71 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Numerals and indexes
Hand-applied, filled with 3 layers of lume.
Water resistance
- 20 ATM (200 meters / 660 feet)
- Screw-down crown and a screw-down case back
Movement
Automatic movement Seiko NH35A.
- Jewels: 24
- Vibration per hour: 21,600 bph
- Lift angle: 53 degree
- Shock System: diashock
- Power reserve: 41 hours
- Winding direction: bi-directional
- Hacking function: yes
- Hand windable function: yes
Straps
- Italian, vegetable-tanned leather with a rounded end. Each ring is individually stitched
- NATO
- Optional silicone strap
Dial
Black or white

Kickstarter offer 
When pre-ordering their Time Locker watch on Kickstarter, our Kickstarter backers will receive:  
  • A Time Locker dive watch at a preferential price (compared to the future retail price).
  • A numbered, limited Kickstarter edition Time Locker watch.
  • An exclusive travel case.
  • Two straps: an Italian, vegetable-tanned leather strap and NATO strap.
  • A 2-year international warranty.
Time Locker - Travel case.png
Time Locker - Travel case.png (573.09 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
I will launch first the Kouriles and the Tonga. The Kermadec will be a stretch goal.

When will we launch?
The plan is to launch the watches in September/October on Kickstarter. I will communicate the official launch date here once available.

Pricing
I have created a survey to get feedback on the watches pricing. This will allow me to create a competitive offer for our Kickstarter backers.

Thank you for having read this post. If you wish to learn more about me, you may read the short self-introduction I wrote here.

If you have questions or comments, feel free to share them here.

Cheers,
Brice
These users liked the author Brice for the post (total 2):
yinzburgherwatchpalooza
Let us know what we can improve!
Design survey here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member
Has liked: 6394 times
Been liked: 5959 times

Re: Introducing Time Locker

Post by yinzburgher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 am

Hi @Brice. Thanks for giving us a look at this prior to the pre-order. Also congratulations on the positive first review and on putting something of your own making out into the world. Very cool and not exactly easy. Just wanted to say a few things about the watch. First, the lume looks ridiculously good and that will be a great selling point. And Sapphire and ceramic together always give a watch a very slick look. I'm sure some people will not be too wild about the NH35 but I'd be happy with it. I've had a really good experience with that movement, probably better than the slightly up-market 6R15/NE15. The size would be on the larger side for me with the 42mm size, 50mm L2L, thick case, substantial lugs, 22mm lug width but could still work on my 7 inch wrist. 42mm is probably what most people would want. If it were my choice, I wouldn't downsize much, maybe to 40 or 41mm. The proportions look good to my eye, just slightly large. The handset looks good to me. So does the case though I always prefer drilled lugs on anything that isn't dressy. I think most people will like the oversize crown though the crown guards look a little small by comparison. Not a deal breaker for me. The bezel looks great. The diamond at 0/60 rather than a triangle is a nice touch. And I definitely like the dial but I think the minute track on the inside of the Kouriles would take some getting used to. The different indices all look fine but I think I like the pointed triangular indices of the Kermadec the best. I guess my biggest complaint will be the date window. No date is just fine with me. And I certainly don't mind having a date but I prefer it at 6 if possible. Next choice is three. 4:30 still isn't a deal-breaker for me but I prefer to have it color-matched like you see on some Sinn 556. The white date wheel with the matching white dial look good to me but I don't find the white day wheel with black dial as good looking, even though I would otherwise prefer the black dial normally. If there is any way to get a black day wheel or do a no-date option, you might find yourself with a few more buyers. And while I don't care for the striped NATOs that much, I think the leather and rubber are great choices. Overall I think you have a good start to a great product. I filled out the pricing survey a while back. I think it is worth keeping in mind that the members of this forum are largely used to getting better deals on watches than much of the general watch-buying public and even many other enthusiasts. That may skew your pricing survey to the low side. I can't be certain of that, but it's my sense. Maybe something to consider. Also, I'm linking to another recent KickStarter NH35 dive watch that I think provided a lot of value for a low price. In fact I was rather surprised at the low price given the specifications. While the watch sounds as though it's not perfect, it seems they largely delivered on their product and commitment to backers. Maybe you can use it and find some more similar watches to help you gauge the right pricing. Thanks again and good luck with everything!

https://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=226
These users liked the author yinzburgher for the post (total 2):
BriceTheJohnP
Brice
Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:16 am

Dear @yinzburgher, thanks for taking the time to write this well-detailed feedback, full of valuable insights.

Please don’t hesitate to get back to me if I missed something or wasn’t clear with my answers.

Re: lume – your feedback on the lume made me realize that I should show more lume shots of the watch. Thanks.

Re: NH35A – I wanted to maintain a reasonable price for the watch. The NH35A was for me the best option in terms of price and movement’s quality.

Re: case size – since the bezel width is large, a smaller case would not have looked as good as now. On the Time Locker Instagram, most of the wrist pictures are my wrist (6.8-inch wrist size). I hope this helps to give you a better idea of how the watch looks like when on a 7-inch wrist. I do understand that for some people this might be an issue. I had to make a choice, knowing that I could not please everyone. A smaller case is something I keep in mind for future designs.

Re: drilled lugs – this is something I hope I will be able to offer to backers as a stretched goal. I am still working on it.

Re: date window – I wanted to have a black date window for the black dial version. However, there the MOQ for a movement with a black calendar is high. One design modification (such as a no date window) requires a Minimum Order Quantity of 100 units. If the number of backers allows it, I am more than happy to offer at least the no date window and more if possible. It is always a question of MOQ.

Re: rubber strap – thanks for your feedback on this. I will see if this can be added as a stretched goal.

Re: pricing – thank you so much for completing the survey and for your advice. I got some interesting feedback from this survey. I am also glad that you shared with me the Dark Water 300 Kickstarter campaign. I will add it to the other brands I am benchmarking to come up with the right pricing.

Once again, thanks for your message. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Brice
These users liked the author Brice for the post (total 3):
yinzburgherTheJohnPManOnTime
Design survey here.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator
Has liked: 7262 times
Been liked: 4896 times

Post by watchpalooza » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

Brice wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:16 am

I am also glad that you shared with me the Dark Water 300 Kickstarter campaign. I will add it to the other brands I am benchmarking to come up with the right pricing.

Once again, thanks for your message. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Brice
On this last point I can offer some perspective as I received my Dark Water 300 while reviewing the sample you sent. I will do so in a separate post.
These users liked the author watchpalooza for the post:
Brice
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
TheJohnP
Global Moderator
Has liked: 7186 times
Been liked: 3945 times

Post by TheJohnP » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 am

I would also vote for a non-date option opposed to the 4:30 placement. But I am not a fan of external bezel/dive watches as a whole, so I'm not your target audience.

Wish you success on the campaign though!
These users liked the author TheJohnP for the post:
Brice
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Brice
Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:24 am

Thanks @watchpalooza and @TheJohnP.
These users liked the author Brice for the post:
TheJohnP
Design survey here.
yinzburgher
MoT Member
Has liked: 6394 times
Been liked: 5959 times

Post by yinzburgher » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:41 pm

A lot of great pics lately @Brice, but I especially liked this one. Nice job!

These users liked the author yinzburgher for the post (total 3):
ManOnTimeBricewatchpalooza
Brice
Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 am

Dear @yinzburgher thanks for your kind feedback. It is also one I really enjoy.
Design survey here.
Lambert99
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Lambert99 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:07 am

Brice wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:43 pm
Hi, Man On Time community,

Let me introduce the Time Locker diving watches I have designed. I will launch them this year on Kickstarter (September/October 2019).

Our flagship diving watches comprises 3 divers inspired by the timepieces issued to combat divers in the 1950’s.

I named the watches after marine trenches found in the Pacific Ocean. 

The Kouriles
The Kouriles - Time Locker.png

The Tonga
The Tonga - Time Locker.png

The Kermadec 
The Kermadec - Time Locker.png

Highlights 
  • A scratch-resistant ceramic bezel with lumed markers: I remember how much I loved the first ceramic bezel of the Omega Seamaster in 2011. In my opinion, a ceramic bezel brings a watch to the next higher level.
  • Applied numerals and indexes: this gives volume and visibility to the dial.
  • 3 layers of Swiss lume C3 Super LumiNova: we all love lume shots. 3 layers of lume really increase the glow of the watch in the dark....again best visibility in low no light conditions.
  • A double domed sapphire crystal glass with AR coating on the inside: this crystal shape helps the dial to pop out. Something eye-pleasing for watch enthusiasts like you and me.

Time Locker diving watches.png

Watch specs
Case
- Stainless steel 316L with brush finishing
- Size: 42.00 mm
- Thickness (including crystal): 14.00 mm
- Lug to lug: 50.00 mm
- Lug width: 22.00 mm
- Embossed screw-down case back
Crown
- Oversized signed crown-down for ease of use
Weight
97g or 3.42oz
Bezel
- Unidirectional, 120 clicks, scratch-resistant ceramic bezel
- Etched indexes filled with lume.
- Intentionally wide bezel (4.35 mm)
Crystal
Double domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on the inside.
Lume
C3 Super-LumiNova lume on indexes, numerals, hands, and bezel.
rachat de credit meilleur taux
Time Locker - Lume.png
Numerals and indexes
Hand-applied, filled with 3 layers of lume.
Water resistance
- 20 ATM (200 meters / 660 feet)
- Screw-down crown and a screw-down case back
Movement
Automatic movement Seiko NH35A.
- Jewels: 24
- Vibration per hour: 21,600 bph
- Lift angle: 53 degree
- Shock System: diashock
- Power reserve: 41 hours
- Winding direction: bi-directional
- Hacking function: yes
- Hand windable function: yes
Straps
- Italian, vegetable-tanned leather with a rounded end. Each ring is individually stitched
- NATO
- Optional silicone strap
Dial
Black or white

Kickstarter offer 
When pre-ordering their Time Locker watch on Kickstarter, our Kickstarter backers will receive:  
  • A Time Locker dive watch at a preferential price (compared to the future retail price).
  • A numbered, limited Kickstarter edition Time Locker watch.
  • An exclusive travel case.
  • Two straps: an Italian, vegetable-tanned leather strap and NATO strap.
  • A 2-year international warranty.
Time Locker - Travel case.png

I will launch first the Kouriles and the Tonga. The Kermadec will be a stretch goal.

When will we launch?
The plan is to launch the watches in September/October on Kickstarter. I will communicate the official launch date here once available.

Pricing
I have created a survey to get feedback on the watches pricing. This will allow me to create a competitive offer for our Kickstarter backers.

Thank you for having read this post. If you wish to learn more about me, you may read the short self-introduction I wrote here.

If you have questions or comments, feel free to share them here.

Cheers,
Brice
Hi, but say so! This model interests me a lot, I would like to know more please, is it possible? Thank you for your comeback. Sincerely
Brice
Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:26 am

Dear @Lambert99, thanks for your interest in my watches.

Please accept my apologies for the late reply. As I was focused on the Kickstarter relaunch (including finding a new manufacturing partner), I didn't log in here until today.

During the first launch on Kickstarter, I received feedbacks from watch enthusiasts regarding the things I could improve. For instance, removing the date display or adding drilling lugs. I am still working on design improvements, but I have a better idea now on the direction I want to take for this year relaunch on Kickstarter. I talked about this in the last two design updates published on the Time Locker blog.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Brice
Design survey here.
Nsjong
MoT Member
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by Nsjong » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 pm

I think the base of the watch isn't too bad, albeit not to my personal tastes. Case looks good, as does the bezel and caseback, I especially enjoy seeing the rounded-off lug edges that is seen on Tudor cases. I will comment on the dial elements: there are too many without a "true" focus.

When I look at the watch face, I'm a little uncertain which element fulfills the watch aesthetics; is it the brand logo, is it the indices, the hands, or something else? There is a lack of cohesiveness as the hands are geometrically modern, the branding is in some cursive variant, the 3-6-9-12 indices are organic, and the "automatic/WR" is utilitarian. Also, using polished edges on the indices means you should probably use polished hands as well rather than the black.

A similar issues arises when I look at Zodiac divers (the part I personally dislike about them) because they often have their model name, logo, and basic info all in different fonts. The saving grace for them is probably their wild, retro-inspired colours.

An upcoming watch (as of this post), the DiRenzo DRZ-03 is what I feel gets the things I mentioned right. There aren't many contrasting elements, as everything about the watch is "organic" and flow very well. The only exception are the hands and marker at 12, which isn't uncommon to see as those are the typical identifiers of a diver watch. Having contrasting elements is good if you're attempting to accentuate a particular portion of the design but having too much clashing elements detracts from the design as a whole.
These users liked the author Nsjong for the post:
Brice
Brice
Brand Rep

Post by Brice » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:57 am

Dear @Nsjong thanks for your constructive feedback.
I used black hands on the white dial (the black dial has polished hands) to have a stronger contrast with the white background. I will test how it will look like with polished hands. The design of the hands is a reference to an aircraft propeller. That's something I wish to keep as it is part of the brand identity.
Design survey here.