We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Ebay introduces Authenticity Guarantee

Have some eBay items for sale? List them here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Ebay introduces Authenticity Guarantee

Post by TheJohnP »

This seems the most appropriate place to post this news from Ebay for their new Authenticity Guarantee for selling/buying luxury watches.

Get expert authentication and verified returns.

We’re introducing Authenticity Guarantee to protect sellers of luxury wristwatches sold domestically for $2,000 or more with verified returns. Your listings are exposed to 174 million active buyers. With Authenticity Guarantee you can sell luxury watches with peace of mind and buyers can shop with confidence.

When a luxury watch sells with the “Authenticity Guarantee” badge, the seller will ship their item to our authentication partner for verification of condition and authenticity​​. Following verification, the authentication partner will ship the watch to the buyer. ​​eBay covers all costs in the authentication process including two-day secure delivery from the authentication partner to the buyer.

If a buyer initiates a return of an inspected watch, they will be required to send it to our authentication partner who will confirm that it's in the same condition in which it was sold. Our authentication partner will then return the watch to you. eBay covers all return shipping costs.

Item eligibility

Watches listed in the wristwatches category and sold for $2,000 or more are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee.

Smart watches, watch parts, and accessories are not eligible for Authenticity Guarantee. Items specified as “Customized” are not eligible for authentication. Customized is defined as original brand parts that have been replaced with non-brand parts or parts not original to the model or era, or components that are modified from the original design. Local pickup-only listings are not eligible for Authenticity Guarantee.

If your item is eligible for authentication, an Authenticity Guarantee badge will automatically appear on the item listing.

When you sell the luxury watch domestically for more than $2,000, your order details will reflect the coverage and our authentication partner’s ship-to address will appear in place of the buyer’s address. You’ll receive email updates from eBay throughout the verification process.

How Authenticity Guarantee works

When you sell a luxury watch covered by Authenticity Guarantee

1. You list your luxury watch. If your item qualifies for Authenticity Guarantee, it will automatically be given program badging. Your item will show an estimated delivery date including 2 days at the authenticator and 2 days shipping to the customer.
2. Ship your luxury watch to our authenticator. When your item sells, your order will automatically update with our authentication partner's address. Expedited shipping with insurance is recommended when shipping to the authenticator.
3. Your luxury watch is inspected. Our authentication partner will check the item against the listing description, verify each part of the item, and then ship it to the buyer with a unique authentication card.
4. Your luxury watch is delivered. Your item is given additional premium packaging and sent to the customer via 2-day shipping with signature required.

If a buyer returns a luxury watch covered by Authenticity Guarantee

1. The buyer ships your luxury watch to our authentication partner. The buyer is required to send the item to our authentication partner and will be provided with a free return label.
2. Item verification. Our authentication partner will inspect and evaluate your item’s condition. You are protected if the item is damaged or altered upon return.
3. The luxury watch is shipped to you. Our authentication partner will send the item to you via 2-day shipping with signature required. All return shipping costs are covered by eBay.

For full program details and eligibility requirements, learn more here.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: Ebay introduces Authenticity Guarantee

Post by Stretch44 »

Interesting. I have a few nibbles on my Seamaster, but if those fall through I may give this a shot. Selling an expensive item on the bay scares me.
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

I sold a Mido Ocean Star on eBay for around $300. Shipped it to the address provided by eBay on Nov 27 and it was delivered Dec 4. Buyer asks where is his watch. I check eBay and it says the watch is awaiting authentication. Buyer loses patience and cancels the order. It is now Dec 15 and here I am with my **** in my hand with no watch and no money.

I'm curious as to why my $300 Mido is being checked. Also, if the Mido comes back as a fake then I'll wonder if the eBay authenticator is correct, and if so, how many other fakes do I have in my prized collection.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

That sucks [mention]BruceR[/mention] but curious why you didn't get a refund for the $300 when the buyer canceled the order?
Then again, there's a lot about eBay that can be questionable.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:55 pm That sucks @BruceR but curious why you didn't get a refund for the $300 when the buyer canceled the order?
Then again, there's a lot about eBay that can be questionable.
It's not over yet. I suspect at some point they'll find the watch and send it back to me.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I don't believe Ebay's authentication policy has changed since introduced, it is a selling option, not required, and only available for watches 2K and over.

May want to call them, sometimes it works better than emails specially with difficult issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

PetWatch wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:25 pm I don't believe Ebay's authentication policy has changed since introduced, it is a selling option, not required, and only available for watches 2K and over.

May want to call them, sometimes it works better than emails specially with difficult issues.
The buyer said he was given the option to have the $300 Mido authenticated and he figured why not. Anyway, I received word from eBay that the case is closed. The buyer received his refund and I was credited the sale price of the watch. Apparently the watch has been lost. About a year ago something similar (but completely different) happened and I ended up with the payment and the watch I was selling. I contacted eBay and they said don't worry about and thank you for being a good seller.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

BruceR wrote:
PetWatch wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:25 pm I don't believe Ebay's authentication policy has changed since introduced, it is a selling option, not required, and only available for watches 2K and over.

The buyer said he was given the option to have the $300 Mido authenticated and he figured why not. Anyway, I received word from eBay that the case is closed. The buyer received his refund and I was credited the sale price of the watch. Apparently the watch has been lost. About a year ago something similar (but completely different) happened and I ended up with the payment and the watch I was selling. I contacted eBay and they said don't worry about and thank you for being a good seller.
That is so strange. I’m glad they at least made you whole.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

BruceR wrote:

Great that it was satisfactorily resolved.

I browsed through Ebay's authentication policy again and I have to correct my earlier post. It is not seller optional, they decide who qualifies and it includes some luxury lines below 2K, but I didn't find any reference to the ability of a buyer to request authentication.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

Here is the latest (slightly redacted) correspondence from eBay:

Hello Bruce,

I am contacting you today about the Mido Ocean Star Captain Automatic Diamond Dial 42.5mm Men's Watch that you recently sold. I apologize for the issues with this order.

Our third-party Authenticator has notified us that they have located the item. Since the buyer was refunded by eBay, we will be sending this item back to you. You will still be keeping the original buyer funds. It is our hope that you can sell this again. The issue of ineligible items being sent through the authentication program has been fixed, and any future transaction on this should go smoothly.

The Fedex tracking number for this item is ########. Please let us know if you need anything else and have a safe and happy holiday!

Thanks,

Janelle

eBay Authenticity Guarantee
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

BruceR wrote:Here is the latest (slightly redacted) correspondence from eBay:

Hello Bruce,

I am contacting you today about the Mido Ocean Star Captain Automatic Diamond Dial 42.5mm Men's Watch that you recently sold. I apologize for the issues with this order.

Our third-party Authenticator has notified us that they have located the item. Since the buyer was refunded by eBay, we will be sending this item back to you. You will still be keeping the original buyer funds. It is our hope that you can sell this again. The issue of ineligible items being sent through the authentication program has been fixed, and any future transaction on this should go smoothly.

The Fedex tracking number for this item is ########. Please let us know if you need anything else and have a safe and happy holiday!

Thanks,

Janelle

eBay Authenticity Guarantee
Well that's cool! Congrats.
Living a comeback montage.