NH36 stopping every night around day changing time

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
Ipse
MoT Member

NH36 stopping every night around day changing time

Post by Ipse »

Hope this is the right place to ask for some suggestions....I recently got a nice Heimdallr Monster (red) that has a weird problem : it stops EVERY night when the DAY changes ( which takes around 2 hrs after midnight).

I suspect the day wheel is rubbing against the back of the dial...but short of opening the watch (and I don't have yet the tools to remove and set the hands) is there any other verification?
If I move the hands past 2am it will run fine until next midnight. Also, if I shake it between 12-2 it will restart, but always stop again.
The date changes fine at 11.55 or so. I pulled the crown out before going to bed..still stopped.

On timegrapher the movement seems fine, despite a bit lower amplitude (250-260 deg) and some beat errors (0.8ms).

Thoughts? Advice? ( besides asking for a replacement :mrgreen:).
It's time.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: NH36 stopping every night around day changing time

Post by TheJohnP »

I have a Mido that when I first got it would stop around the same time every night.
Regardless how much it was wound during the day.

Sent into Swatch for repair and the only feedback I got was there was "foreign debris" in the movement.
They cleaned it out and sent it back and no issues since.

Sounds like there is a movement issue of some kind. Whether the day wheel gear is catching on something or something similar.
I would either contact Heimdallr about either repair or a replacement. Or see if they'll cover you having it looked at by a local watchmaker.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Ipse
MoT Member

Post by Ipse »

Thanks, that might be the only sensible option. I have to say...against all the testimonials taht NH35 and 36 are "reliable workhorses" I had 3 out of 5 croaking on me.
Maybe the Chinese manufacturers do scrap the bottom of the barrel when they order in bulk.
It's time.
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »